• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

JesseTheAntKid's Tetramorium bicarinatum journal

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 19 2023 - 8:06 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Hey! This is the start of my Tetramorium bicarinatum journal.
I know she's Tetra Bicar because she's a medium ant, isn't much bigger than the workers and looks exactly like Tetra Bicar. I have no idea why this was flying this late in December but oh well. Unfortunately, while catching this winged alate, I saw a very sad sight. A Tetra Bicar queen, with all but two of her legs ripped off. I've seen this before, with a couple Tetra Bicar workers attacking a queen. Why could this be?
  • rptraut and 100lols like this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#2 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 19 2023 - 9:52 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
dannggg, your lucky you have a tetra bicar queen. I’m pretty sure they inbreed aswell, i forgot. As for the tetra bicar queen that had all of her legs ripped off but two, she may have not been useful anymore and had started getting old so the colony may have decided to cull her for the larvae and other healthy queens.
  • rptraut likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#3 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 5:41 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Ohhhhhhhhh, that would explain the random queen on the sidewalk being ripped apart.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#4 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 5:45 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Ok, so, I am keeping two colonies. One was kidnapped (don't worry, from where I live they are not native and I made sure the two queens had workers to back them up) and a regular alate as mentioned before. I'll see how this goes.

#5 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 5:46 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I took the two queens yesterday and made sure they weren't harmed. The other I had taken on Monday. We'll see how this goes.
  • AsdinAnts likes this

#6 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 8:01 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
did you mix them together? or do they have their own setups?
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#7 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 8:05 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
They have their own setups. The alate is by herself and there's the two queens with their workers in another setup.

#8 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 8:06 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
And yes, they do inbreed. I am not sure of they do this and it harms them or if they are adapted to it.

#9 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 1:37 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
if they inbreed, then that's fantastic. You could just have an endless amount of queens that can go on for pretty much forever. I would also add more queens once the colony is more mature so that there is a mixed gene pool of ants. Since sometimes continuous inbreeding can effect the colony for the worse.
also I would love some pictures of them!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#10 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 2:21 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I'm getting a picture right now.

#11 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 2:24 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Keep in mind there are two workers just chillin with the queens in the bottom test tube.

Edited by JesseTheAntKid, December 20 2023 - 2:27 PM.

#12 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 2:29 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
17031112699751805708042962977779.jpg
Apparently formiculture flips the photos sideways. One queen fell down right as I took that picture, which is why she's blurry.
  • AsdinAnts likes this

#13 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 2:32 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
oh, when was the last time the duo queens ate? maybe you should give them a tiny thing of sugar water. or a cut of a bugs leg.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#14 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 2:35 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
also, do you have a container for the queens? They would do a lot better in a setup where the test tube is burried and they have an open space since they are a semi-claustral species. You could also just let them dig in a container with dirt/sand. But yea, you should probably feed both of them right now, the alate and duo queen since they are semi claustral. I’m also pretty sure they are hungry since I can see a worker tugging at the cotton. (edit: Semi-Claustral means that the queens need to go and hunt for food because they don’t have that big of a stomach to store that much food for their larvae.

Edited by AsdinAnts, December 20 2023 - 2:39 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#15 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 4:40 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Actually that's what I thought lol
didn't know they're semiclaustral

#16 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 4:42 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
thanks for the info

#17 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 4:54 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
np, anytime you need!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#18 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 4:56 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
you should also make a journal of your pheidole, I would love to see those beauties!
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#19 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 6:00 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Alr!

#20 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 21 2023 - 6:36 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
UPDATE 1: The alate is settled in (somewhat) to the container I made for her yesterday. I have yet to make a container for the two-queened colony, but I will make that today as today is early release for me.
  • 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users