• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I just found a ants queen and bring her home

beginner

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aramantir - Posted May 13 2023 - 12:58 PM

Aramantir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello everyone, I just found a queen outside. I bring her home and want to be sure that I'm doing everything right. I put her in container, added some flakes and paper towels, I made one towel wet and formed a ball from it, rest of towels I put at the right side of container. I will attach pictures for better understanding.
I want to hear your opinions and tips on this.
Also I made 2 little holes, so she won't suffocate, keep in mind that I'm just a beginner but wish to grow a colony.
I'm opened to any suggestions or conversation,
I am from Prince Albert, SK Canada IMG_20230513_145529.jpg IMG_20230513_145509.jpg IMG_20230513_140726.jpg 16840114126301704184955798152116.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 13 2023 - 3:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Read this guide: https://www.formicul...view=getnewpost
I recommend getting her into a standard test tube setup.
  • Manitobant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 13 2023 - 3:39 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Looks like a Camponotus queen. She won't eat while founding. I think the set up is good but too big. I agree with ANTdrew put her into a test tube set up.

#4 Offline Aramantir - Posted May 13 2023 - 7:27 PM

Aramantir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Read this guide: https://www.formicul...view=getnewpost
I recommend getting her into a standard test tube setup.

yeah thanks, I just got her in this box as temporaly solution. I don`t have any test tubes etc but yeah will get for sure! Thanks

#5 Offline Aramantir - Posted May 13 2023 - 7:29 PM

Aramantir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Looks like a Camponotus queen. She won't eat while founding. I think the set up is good but too big. I agree with ANTdrew put her into a test tube set up.

she won't eat?? I hope she won't die, I am really excited for having my own colony. I will order some test tube and will wait for it to come^^ 

#6 Offline Antlover24 - Posted May 13 2023 - 9:14 PM

Antlover24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Yeah alot of species queens don't eat till they get workers because they have it saved up/digest their muscles. Once the queen gets workers she then starts eating once her workers bring her food. (Not sure exactly if I worded why they don't eat correctly, correct me if I am wrong please.) GL on the queen.

#7 Offline Aramantir - Posted May 14 2023 - 1:01 PM

Aramantir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay I did a some sort of test tube with dark space around it. Also I saw her carrying something with her mouth. I'm not sure that that's eggs, also she was biting towels a lot, I removed them , I hope she will discover test tube and move there. Now I guess I have this outer world and test tube thing. I don't want to remove these flakes, should I? IMG_20230514_130000.jpg IMG_20230514_130253.jpg IMG_20230514_125825.jpg IMG_20230514_125707.jpg
  • antsinvirgina and Formiga like this

#8 Offline Formiga - Posted May 14 2023 - 1:41 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

she won't eat?? I hope she won't die, I am really excited for having my own colony. I will order some test tube and will wait for it to come^^ 

No idea about that particular species but I caught some queens back in last September (Messor species) and most of them are still alive today without having eaten.

In fact, only yesterday the 1st nanitic (the 1st ants to come out, smaller than normal due to the need to have ants fast to help the queen) came out.

During all this time they feed from their reserves, usually the wing muscles since they won't be flying any longer.

Ants are a fascinating bug indeed! I'm still a noobie doobie doo and I'm still learning, but it is an amazing hobby with so much to learn and this is an excellent place for it, people here are very kind to reply and guide us.

Good luck with your queen, may her and her colony be prosperous!

#9 Offline antsinvirgina - Posted May 15 2023 - 5:35 AM

antsinvirgina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSpringfield

don't forget to give her water(water down cotton ball will work.)

#10 Offline Formiga - Posted May 15 2023 - 11:34 AM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

That's a beautiful queen you've got there!

Your "test tube", does it have around half filled up with water and a cotton ball to stop it from spilling, leaving around the other half of the tube as a chamber for her?

That way she can have water to sip from the cotton and a good moist environment for her eggs.

Far from being an expert, and others with more experience please do chime in with more experienced advice, but if she doesn't want to go into the tube probably you could just gently force her in. A mild stress yes, easy to recover from, and once in just close the tube's entrance with a bit of cotton so there's air exchange and she can't get out. (but once she starts laying eggs and feel at home she will refuse to abandon them and go out).

Regarding the outside box, put some of that green thick paste on its bottom corners to absorb vibrations and also give it some stability against sliding at the minimal touch. The queen will appreciate this very much as they freak out easily with vibrations.

Also I recommend you to ask here, on it's proper subforum, for an identification of the species of your queen, so you can be aware of what you've got there and what her actual needs and no-nos are. There's a template to easily guide you and give experienced folks the information they need for an ID.

(edited for clarity and grammar)

Edited by Formiga, May 15 2023 - 11:36 AM.

#11 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 15 2023 - 11:42 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

That's a beautiful queen you've got there!

Your "test tube", does it have around half filled up with water and a cotton ball to stop it from spilling, leaving around the other half of the tube as a chamber for her?

That way she can have water to sip from the cotton and a good moist environment for her eggs.

Far from being an expert, and others with more experience please do chime in with more experienced advice, but if she doesn't want to go into the tube probably you could just gently force her in. A mild stress yes, easy to recover from, and once in just close the tube's entrance with a bit of cotton so there's air exchange and she can't get out. (but once she starts laying eggs and feel at home she will refuse to abandon them and go out).

Regarding the outside box, put some of that green thick paste on its bottom corners to absorb vibrations and also give it some stability against sliding at the minimal touch. The queen will appreciate this very much as they freak out easily with vibrations.

Also I recommend you to ask here, on it's proper subforum, for an identification of the species of your queen, so you can be aware of what you've got there and what her actual needs and no-nos are. There's a template to easily guide you and give experienced folks the information they need for an ID.

(edited for clarity and grammar)

Don't force her too much I just gently nudge them in the right direction.

• Formiga and Aramantir like this

#12 Offline Aramantir - Posted May 16 2023 - 10:05 PM

Aramantir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for all your tips, I guess she layed 1 egg in that test tube but I saw her being outside. I gently forced her in, about water, tube has 2 holes from each side so it's will be hard to do this water/cotton way. I will just replace watered cotton every 2-3 days.Screenshot_2023-05-17-00-03-57-385_com.google.android.apps.nbu.files.jpg
  • antsinvirgina likes this

#13 Offline Aramantir - Posted May 16 2023 - 10:09 PM

Aramantir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Also about identifying. I guess that is messor structor, she looks the same as on pictures in internet.

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 17 2023 - 3:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The photos above show a Camponotus queen.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#15 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted May 17 2023 - 4:23 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
Camponotus ligniperda is likely.

Also, you probably want to seal the test tube with cotton once you have a stable/long lasting water supply. The queen feels more comfortable when there is little to no air current.

Edited by LowQualityAnts, May 17 2023 - 4:29 AM.

#16 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 17 2023 - 4:47 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Obviously not ligniperda and it's on the completely wrong continent as well.

The queen is either herculeanus or modoc.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

#17 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 17 2023 - 4:52 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
camponotus vicinus
  • antsinvirgina likes this

#18 Offline Aramantir - Posted May 17 2023 - 6:19 AM

Aramantir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for identifying, I will try to seal tube or get a new glass one. I can't find any, shipping costs 42$ ..I'm not going to spend so much on 3$ tube.

#19 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted May 17 2023 - 6:23 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

camponotus vicinus

My bad. For some reason I looked at formiga's location and thought it was his.

#20 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 17 2023 - 9:08 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Thanks for identifying, I will try to seal tube or get a new glass one. I can't find any, shipping costs 42$ ..I'm not going to spend so much on 3$ tube.

look on amazon, you can get a bunch for cheap

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users