• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(A Beginning Antkeeper's) Journey of a Solenopsis Queen

solenopsisfire ant beginner queen new the_gaming-gate first colony advice needed advice

95 replies to this topic

#21 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 11 2024 - 2:47 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

3/11/24 - "Start of an Empire"

Starting with bad news, the original queen has sadly died. But the other queen housed in the AntsCanada test tube is doing great! She has ripped off her wings and is drinking a lot of water. But more importantly, has a clutch of 10 - 12 eggs which she guards. In fact, she likes to stand above those eggs preventing me from taking pictures. I don't know how to tell how recently they were laid, but my guess is about 5 days ago, as it got quite hot then, and this probably prompted the queen to lay eggs. 

Some adapter plugs, tubing, and a test tube portal arrived today, and will be installed as soon as she gets her first workers. She's doing very well, much better than the original queen. I hope this one lives, she seems like a good mother. So, what are your thoughts. What should I do to keep her fate away from the one which plagued the original queen? Add your ideas below! 

But before you do that, enjoy pictures!

0?ui=2&ik=fb78416c70&attid=0.3&permmsgidDead body of original queen. Notice how no fungi or parasites have sprouted; body in good condition.

0?ui=2&ik=fb78416c70&attid=0.2&permmsgid

Queen stands beside a large clutch of eggs. They are hard to see and blurry (didn't want to take a long time as this would stress the queen) but you can tell they are eggs.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#22 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 11 2024 - 3:01 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
As usual, keep her in a dark spot and check on her once a week to make sure everything is going well. Founding queens tend to stress quite a lot on recent checkups so try to limit them. Other than that, 10-12 eggs sounds like a healthy queen to me. Good luck!
  • rptraut and The_Gaming-gate like this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#23 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 11 2024 - 4:36 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

As usual, keep her in a dark spot and check on her once a week to make sure everything is going well. Founding queens tend to stress quite a lot on recent checkups so try to limit them. Other than that, 10-12 eggs sounds like a healthy queen to me. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm going to try to check on her every 5 - 7 days, as I think that shouldn't stress her out.

• rptraut and Artisan_Ants like this

#24 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 12 2024 - 4:01 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Thanks! I'm going to try to check on her every 5 - 7 days, as I think that shouldn't stress her out.
Yeah, that should work great. Good luck!
  • rptraut likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#25 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 13 2024 - 12:41 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Thank you, Artisan_Ants
A quick question, for a first meal, would a pinch of sugar count as nutrition, or do they need honey? I’m a bit scared to drown the nanitics.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 13 2024 - 12:44 AM.

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2024 - 2:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thank you, Artisan_Ants
A quick question, for a first meal, would a pinch of sugar count as nutrition, or do they need honey? I’m a bit scared to drown the nanitics.

Soak a drop of sugar water in a bit of cotton or paper towel. None of the ants will drown that way.
  • rptraut and Artisan_Ants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#27 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 13 2024 - 10:54 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Thank you, Artisan_Ants

Soak a drop of sugar water in a bit of cotton or paper towel. None of the ants will drown that way.

ANTdrew, thanks for saving some future nanitics from a watery doom.
  • rptraut likes this

#28 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 15 2024 - 3:15 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
The queen’s eggs have not yet hatched, but I noticed she moved 2 - 3 eggs to the edge of the test tube, and kept the rest in the pile. I have no clue why she did this.

In this picture, you can clearly see her egg pile.

Attached Images

• IMG_0228.jpeg

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 15 2024 - 3:16 AM.

#29 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 15 2024 - 6:32 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Beautiful queen you go there. I find that even without adding water, my small ants species don't drown. It's kind of strange but at least its less work.  I appreciate it.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#30 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 16 2024 - 7:53 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Beautiful queen you go there. I find that even without adding water, my small ants species don't drown. It's kind of strange but at least it’s less work. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the info! Do you think ants can eat peanut butter?

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 16 2024 - 8:00 AM.

#31 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 16 2024 - 4:26 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Beautiful queen you go there. I find that even without adding water, my small ants species don't drown. It's kind of strange but at least it’s less work. I appreciate it.

Probably, unless there are some chemicals that are not for animal consumption (I mean dogs can eat them so I’m kind of doubting that they put chemicals in peanut butter). So yeah the probably can eat peanut butter but in small portions (in this case, very small dues to the size of your Solonopsis). Good luck!

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#32 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 17 2024 - 7:26 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Probably, unless there are some chemicals that are not for animal consumption (I mean dogs can eat them so I’m kind of doubting that they put chemicals in peanut butter). So yeah the probably can eat me peanut butter but in small portions (in this case, very small dues to the size of your Solonopsis). Good luck!
Great, thanks! Now I have a protein version of honey.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 17 2024 - 8:41 AM.

#33 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 17 2024 - 8:38 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I was walking in my yard and uncovered the brood chamber of a *mature* S Invicta colony. It’s a bit too moist for me to dig it up now, but later today I am going to go back and grab about ten pupae to boost the queen with.

#34 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 17 2024 - 9:16 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I was walking in my yard and uncovered the brood chamber of a *mature* S Invicta colony. It’s a bit too moist for me to dig it up now, but later today I am going to go back and grab about ten pupae to boost the queen with.

That would be very useful. I haven’t brood boosted myself but I’m definitely on it to try this year.
  • DRpepper likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#35 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 17 2024 - 7:48 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

That would be very useful. I haven’t brood boosted myself but I’m definitely on it to try this year.

I’m going to do the boost in a few days, as I don’t want to stress the queen.

#36 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 18 2024 - 3:41 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
A question, do I need to put booster brood in a outworld and let the queen pick it up from there, or is it fine if I just throw booster pupae in the nest?

#37 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 18 2024 - 10:16 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
For one S. invicta queen that I decided to brood boost, I put brood directly into her tube and she loved that.

#38 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 19 2024 - 3:27 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

For one S. invicta queen that I decided to brood boost, I put brood directly into her tube and she loved that.

Thanks! I was scared to disturb her.

#39 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 19 2024 - 8:01 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Hm. Are you sure this is Solenopsis invicta? It looks a little too... Stout.

On second thought, she does look a bit like a Crematogaster. My newest queen is invicta though.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 19 2024 - 12:27 PM.

#40 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 19 2024 - 12:36 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

3/19/24 - "Brood Boost"

Today I went to my local invicta colony, and flipped a few stones before running into a brood chamber. It was mostly alates, but I got about eight worker pupae, and two small larvae. The brood was introduced to the queen, who immediately picked them up and moved them toward her egg pile. I do think I got a major pupae, which will likely eclose soon (due to amber coloring). I also noticed the queen laid more eggs, possibly doubling her egg pile, and I believe I saw a small larva. But enough words, time for pics!

Attached Images

• IMG_0304.jpeg
  • IMG_0305.jpeg

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 19 2024 - 12:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsisfire ant, beginner, queen, new, the_gaming-gate, first colony, advice needed, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users