• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(A Beginning Antkeeper's) Journey of a Solenopsis Queen

solenopsisfire ant beginner queen new the_gaming-gate first colony advice needed advice

95 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 19 2024 - 2:46 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

3/19/24 - "Brood Boost"

Today I went to my local invicta colony, and flipped a few stones before running into a brood chamber. It was mostly alates, but I got about eight worker pupae, and two small larvae. The brood was introduced to the queen, who immediately picked them up and moved them toward her egg pile. I do think I got a major pupae, which will likely eclose soon (due to amber coloring). I also noticed the queen laid more eggs, possibly doubling her egg pile, and I believe I saw a small larva. But enough words, time for pics!

Great job! I know she is happy.

Unlike S. geminata, S. invicta don't have true majors. They are highly polymorphic, and have more or less what is referred to as "media". They generally have one worker caste that is extremely polymorphic, ranging in size from small to pretty large, in some cases I have found, VERY large. On several occasions, while queen hunting during the day on sidewalks and gutters, I have stopped at what I thought may have been a queen. In reality, it was just a rather large invicta worker.

I look forward to watching this colony grow!

#42 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 19 2024 - 3:57 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

3/19/24 - "Brood Boost"

Today I went to my local invicta colony, and flipped a few stones before running into a brood chamber. It was mostly alates, but I got about eight worker pupae, and two small larvae. The brood was introduced to the queen, who immediately picked them up and moved them toward her egg pile. I do think I got a major pupae, which will likely eclose soon (due to amber coloring). I also noticed the queen laid more eggs, possibly doubling her egg pile, and I believe I saw a small larva. But enough words, time for pics!

Unlike S. geminata, S. invicta don't have true majors. They are highly polymorphic, and have more or less what is referred to as "media". They generally have one worker caste that is extremely polymorphic, ranging in size from small to pretty large, in some cases I have found, VERY large. On several occasions, while queen hunting during the day on sidewalks and gutters, I have stopped at what I thought may have been a queen. In reality, it was just a rather large invicta worker.

Thank’s for the info! I always thought the medias didn’t have big enough heads to be majors. When do you think I can expect the first bio medians? (medians not counting boost)

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#43 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 19 2024 - 4:24 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

3/19/24 - "Brood Boost"

Thank’s for the info! I always thought the medias didn’t have big enough heads to be majors. When do you think I can expect the first bio medians? (medians not counting boost)
As previously stated, invicta don't have a clearly defined major caste.

That being said, it could take a long time before your queen decides to make workers on the larger side. I had a colony that got to over 1000 estimated workers, and even she wasn't making any that were very large.. and they were eating discoid roaches whole, as well as live fruit flies.

Edited by Flu1d, March 19 2024 - 5:29 PM.

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 19 2024 - 5:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m glad you’re back, Flu1d.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#45 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 19 2024 - 5:31 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

I’m glad you’re back, Flu1d.

Thank you. It's good to see (talk to) you, ANTdrew.

#46 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 19 2024 - 8:22 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

3/19/24 - "Brood Boost"

That being said, it could take a long time before your queen decides to make workers on the larger side. I had a colony that got to over 1000 estimated workers, and even she wasn't making any that were very large.. and they were eating discoid roaches whole, as well as live fruit flies.

Thanks for the information, I can't wait for the first giant ants. To clear it up, i meant that i used to think medians were majors, not that I still do.

#47 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 19 2024 - 8:38 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

3/19/24 - "Brood Boost"

Thanks for the information, I can't wait for the first giant ants. To clear it up, i meant that i used to think medians were majors, not that I still do.

#48 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 19 2024 - 9:36 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

3/19/24 - "Brood Boost"

Ohhh okay! I gotcha :)

You are very welcome. Solenopsis invicta were my first ever ants, and I have captured TOOOONS. They are a very fun species, and as long as you have enough room and keep enough room for them to grow, they aren't hard to keep. They're super clean, they move all their trash away from the nesting area (all of mine kept their trash in the outworld, all in a big pile to easily clean up) and if you give them a lot of heat and a lot of protein, they will absolutely explode.

Mine didn't really try to escape, but I also made sure they had a lot of nest space to grow into, a large outworld, their nest stayed hydrated and I kept them supplied with plenty of drinking water, sugar water and protein. They probably felt no real need to escape.

I used an Arthropod Antics style nest and outworld (ones that I made myself at home, but buying from them is just as good, I wanted to have a bunch, however, and cost-wise it just made more sense to create them myself). They enjoyed it thoroughly. Right now I keep Pheidole dentata in the same type of setup (also home made) and they also seem to love it.

I can't wait to see your colony get huge and eventually outgrow your test tube! It's a good feeling when you release them into the outworld and then they find their way into the nest and settle in.

Edited by Flu1d, March 19 2024 - 9:37 PM.

• futurebird, Artisan_Ants and The_Gaming-gate like this

#49 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 25 2024 - 1:13 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
3/25/2024 "The Waiting Game"

I expected the median pupa to eclose, but she didn't. I don't mind waiting though. With most other ants, I see that they are still light colored when they eclose, but it seems my Solenopsis invicta pupae are waiting until they get their full colors before they start moving around. All of the pupae are orange colored, so I'm hoping they eclose the next time I check on them. The queen has seemingly laid even more eggs (I am very concerned about how I'm going to keep these things from swarming every space I put them in) and it has gotten to the point where I can barely count all of the brood. Most of the eggs have not hatched yet but I know that will take a while. She does have larvae but they are buried into the cotton, obscuring my view. One thing I noticed about thiis queen, is that she doesn't care about the light, and just acts like it's normal. She didn't care too much about vibrations either (such as placing the test tube onto a table). I really love observing the ants, watching the queen clean her pupae is just the cutest little thing! But you know what's better than words? Pictures!

Attached Images

• IMG_0306.jpeg
  • IMG_0308.jpeg
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
  • IMG_0311.jpeg

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 25 2024 - 1:21 PM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#50 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 25 2024 - 2:42 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Wonderful! Every S. invicta queen I have ever had didn't seem to care about light or vibrations. Actually, I don't remember a single one of my ants caring about light, and only a couple have cared about vibrations. (Unless you straight up drop them or shake them, I mean. Lightly feeding them on food days and giving sugar water, however, never seemed to bother the vast majority of my ants. Especially after the first couple of times, where they probably realized the movement meant dinner time.)

S. invicta grow FAST. It won't be long before you won't even be able to count them anymore, and that's where the fun begins with this species. I would throw a freshly frozen discoid roach from my roach colony in their outworld and within minutes they would be all over it. They would clean it completely from the inside out, and neatly discard any of the shell for me to pick up. That's another thing I noticed, at least with the ones I had, was how CLEAN S. invicta are. They would pile ALL trash, neatly away on the entire other side of the outworld, in one heap for me. Super easy to deal with.

I think you will enjoy this species! Thanks for the updates :)
  • Artisan_Ants and The_Gaming-gate like this

#51 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 28 2024 - 3:47 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

3/28/2024 "Almost There"

There is good news, and bad news. I'll start with the good first.

Today I caught the queen tending to a dark pupa. When I inspected it, I figured out the pupae was actively moving her antennae and trying to twitch her top leg. I hope we can have nanitics by the next update! Two other pupae are catching up, being the same color, despite their lack of motion. The queen has piled most of her eggs into a neat pile, and the larvae are increasing in size. If you look at the two pictures showcasing the view inside the tube, you can actually see that the antennae on the topmost pupa changed positions.

But then there's bad news. The remaining dark pupae (about three more) were found beheaded on the cotton. I suspect the queen tried to move them between the cotton and the glass, which smushed them. Luckily there are about five more white colored pupae to take their place, but this is concerning me. The queen is caring for the brood, however, so I doubt she is doing this on purpose.

Enough sad stories, time for joyful images.

Attached Images

• IMG_0322.jpeg
  • IMG_0323.jpeg
  • IMG_0324.jpeg
  • IMG_0328.jpeg

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 28 2024 - 3:56 PM.

#52 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:30 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Pupae moving actively? Now that’s pretty strange. I am not sure with this species, and do not no of this is a normal thing, but if I’m correct; pupae or in this case ant at this point may have not been exposed properly. Check the legs. If they are still in the same position (the curled pupae position) then that’s bad news. When pupae develop, there is this certain line or nerve (idk how to describe it) that ups their legs together which when the queen founds nanitics, removed so the callow can walk. Otherwise; if it is in the “walking” or a position other than that of the pupae curled up position, then that’s good news. Anyways, this is one nice healthy colony you got there; and I’m still thinking that your queen will be fine. Good luck!
  • GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#53 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:33 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Pupae moving actively? Now that’s pretty strange. I am not sure with this species, and do not no of this is a normal thing, but if I’m correct; pupae or in this case ant at this point may have not been exposed properly. Check the legs. If they are still in the same position (the curled pupae position) then that’s bad news. When pupae develop, there is this certain line or nerve (idk how to describe it) that ups their legs together which when the queen founds nanitics, removed so the callow can walk. Otherwise; if it is in the “walking” or a position other than that of the pupae curled up position, then that’s good news. Anyways, this is one nice healthy colony you got there; and I’m still thinking that your queen will be fine. Good luck!

I agree with #Artistan_Ants I have seen larva move , and that is normal but pupae I have never seen. You should watch closely.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#54 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:34 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Make sure they are getting enough moisture from the cotton. Sometimes it doesn't get pushed deeply enough into the water and can lack enough moisture for your pupae to properly eclose. It has happened to me with one of my Solenopsis invicta queens. (That may not be it, I'm just making a suggestion based on an issue I previously had that was somewhat similar)

Edited by Flu1d, March 28 2024 - 6:38 PM.

• Artisan_Ants and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

#55 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:36 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Make sure they are getting enough moisture from the cotton. Sometimes it doesn't get pushed deeply enough into the water and can lack enough moisture for your pupae to properly eclose. It has happened to me with one of my Solenopsis invicta queens. (That may not be it, I'm just making a suggestion based on am issue I previously had that was somewhat similar)

Another good point watch if your queen is pulling on the cotton very aggressively then water isn't seeping thought and therefore no humidity.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#56 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 29 2024 - 11:55 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

The pupae has a curled gaster and petioles, but only slightly. For the most part she is in a walking position. She also isn’t moving very actively, just turning her antennae twice a minute. I suspect she recently started moving within a few hours of me checking on them.

#57 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 29 2024 - 11:57 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Make sure they are getting enough moisture from the cotton. Sometimes it doesn't get pushed deeply enough into the water and can lack enough moisture for your pupae to properly eclose. It has happened to me with one of my Solenopsis invicta queens. (That may not be it, I'm just making a suggestion based on an issue I previously had that was somewhat similar)

When I added the cotton ball I literally had to dry off the tube because it was pushed in to the point for it started flooding, so humidity can’t be the issue, at least, I hope not.

#58 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 29 2024 - 11:58 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Make sure they are getting enough moisture from the cotton. Sometimes it doesn't get pushed deeply enough into the water and can lack enough moisture for your pupae to properly eclose. It has happened to me with one of my Solenopsis invicta queens. (That may not be it, I'm just making a suggestion based on am issue I previously had that was somewhat similar)

Another good point watch if your queen is pulling on the cotton very aggressively then water isn't seeping thought and therefore no humidity.

She usually never directly touches the cotton and prefers staying in the middle of the tube.

#59 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 29 2024 - 12:03 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

When I added the cotton ball I literally had to dry off the tube because it was pushed in to the point for it started flooding, so humidity can’t be the issue, at least, I hope not.

That cotton looks kinda dry in the pic, that's why I brought it up.

#60 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 29 2024 - 1:30 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

That cotton looks kinda dry in the pic, that's why I brought it up.
True. Should I add more water with a pipette? I suppose I never thought about it since the queen usually acts like it’s very humid.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 29 2024 - 1:32 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsisfire ant, beginner, queen, new, the_gaming-gate, first colony, advice needed, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users