• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Drones in a 3-queen colony

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted May 18 2023 - 3:12 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I have a Myrmica Rubra colony, I bought it with 3 queens and 25ish workers. They've had a nice brood pile going, and today I checked for the first time in about a week...and saw a bunch of drones.

VideoCapture_20230518-130359.jpg

I was really excited about having a 3 queen colony, I love these guys. But I'm guessing this means at least one of the queens is infertile? A colony this small wouldn't be producing for the upcoming nuptial flights, right?

Which leads me to...how do I find out which of the queens is infertile? Do I have to seperate them into 3 separate brood-less colonies to see which ends up producing alates?

And if it turns out only one is infertile, can I recombine the two fertile colonies or would they fight?

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 18 2023 - 7:22 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

You can simply leave them together, there is no need to stress them out by separating the queens. Either the colony will cull this queen later or you’ll just have a colony with that queen. 

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted May 18 2023 - 8:12 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Is it not a lot of work for the colony to be constantly caring for/producing drones?

#4 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted May 18 2023 - 5:08 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Is it not a lot of work for the colony to be constantly caring for/producing drones?

If a colony thinks taking care of a queen or some males is too resource intensive, they will usually kill them. It is also likely that the colony letting their unfertilized eggs mature was just a one time fluke.

#5 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted May 18 2023 - 10:21 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Interesting, thanks. I just spoke to the guy I got them from, and he said these 3 queens & the workers came from a much larger many-queen colony that was split up. Perhaps they actually are all fertile, but producing alates because they were part of a larger colony?

Either way I'll leave them be and see what happens. Thanks guys :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users