• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Yeast as food for ants

yeast feeding feed on fungus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted May 4 2022 - 7:39 AM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I've been looking through some recipes of media for fruit flies, and all of them include yeast, as soon as fruit flies eat the fungal cells themselves, not fruit.

But can you actually use yeast in order to feed ants directly? I mean ant species that don't grow fungus gardens but eat different fruits and maybe oats. Maybe you could trick ants into feeding on the fungus somehow?

Yeast cells are not like plant cells, and technically there's nothing special in them that ants could not digest...

Edited by Max_Connor, May 4 2022 - 7:40 AM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2022 - 9:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Some ants like Tetramorium may eat it. It would not make a good staple, though.
  • Manitobant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 4 2022 - 12:36 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The only ant that eats yeast that i know of is cyphomyrmex, a genus of fungus growers. These guys cultivate a species of yeast as food by feeding it dead plant material and insect frass, similarly to leafcutters and their respective fungus species.

#4 Offline Max_Connor - Posted May 4 2022 - 5:22 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

The only ant that eats yeast that i know of is cyphomyrmex, a genus of fungus growers. These guys cultivate a species of yeast as food by feeding it dead plant material and insect frass, similarly to leafcutters and their respective fungus species.

Ok, that's an interesting genus.
The other idea is to use yeast to prevent formicariums from getting moldy. Yeast can at least hold mold growth, and if ants don't eat it, maybe it could replace mites or mealy bugs
Just curious if anyone has tried these things with yeast

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yeast, feeding, feed on, fungus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users