• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart

anting mating queens swarming alates mating flight nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
1665 replies to this topic

#141 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 11 2015 - 5:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Perfect. Thanks. Any idea where, and what week of January it was that you saw them fly?

#142 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 11 2015 - 5:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The last week of January there were alates wandering and then you know what happened in the first days of February.

• Spamdy likes this

#143 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 11 2015 - 9:15 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Two Myrmecocystus sp, Liometopum occidentale, Dorymyrmex insanus & bicolor, and Nylanderia vividula flew in Simi Valley, CA within the last few days. I only found a dead Liometopum queen, but I did catch two of some black Myrmecocystus sp, five N.vividula, a D.insanus, and two D.bicolor. :D I also caught a Myrmecocystus cf. testaceus, but she died.

#144 Offline kellakk - Posted March 13 2015 - 11:40 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

The Myrmecocystus sp. that lives in the foothills around here is flying today.  

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#145 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 13 2015 - 12:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Did you get any queens??

#146 Offline kellakk - Posted March 13 2015 - 6:52 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

They kept ducking back inside when I was watching them, and I had to leave.  It was around 10 in the morning, though, so I assume they flew later on. 

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#147 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 13 2015 - 8:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Ohh okay. A lot of ants will do this for days before they fly.

#148 Offline awinner - Posted March 19 2015 - 7:59 AM

awinner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

On bugguide.net we have two reports (http://bugguide.net/node/view/734473) (http://bugguide.net/.../851794/bgimage) out of not-very-many total reports, of Formica pacifica flying in October. I think it is enough to warrant adding October to your mating chart.

#149 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 19 2015 - 8:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks. That's amazing... almost the same exact day both years. I have seen this quite a bit while going through all of this data.

I've added them to the new database I'm working on. I actually have one F. pacifica report you made a few years ago in the database already. Bug Guide is one of the websites I do plan on going through also looking for data.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

#150 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 22 2015 - 4:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just for records I guess I'll report this here. Dolopomyrmex pilatus flew in Lake Los Angeles, 3-20-2015 around 9:00 pm. I could tell they obviously flew the night before also. Temps were in the high 50's and it rained two days before.

#151 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 24 2015 - 7:52 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I noticed Forelius isn't on the chart. Could this thread give them a spot for around July?

• LAnt likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#152 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 24 2015 - 9:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah. I found one the day I was there too. I can't remember why I never added them to the chart. One problem is it's very difficult to tell the two species apart, so we probably can only add them as Forelius sp..

Edit: Actually I already added it to the database, so it will reflect in the new charts.

Edited by dspdrew, March 24 2015 - 9:28 AM.

#153 Offline cpman - Posted March 26 2015 - 7:38 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

There have been some flights I've noticed here in Austin recently. A mid-sized Camponotus (probably C. texanus) flew last weekend here. I saw a Pseudomyrmex gracilis male leave the nest two days ago. And, of course, I've seen Solenopsis invicta queens sporadically since January.

#154 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 27 2015 - 6:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Liometopum occidentale flew last night around 8:30 pm in Trabuco Canyon, CA.

#155 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 27 2015 - 10:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There have been some flights I've noticed here in Austin recently. A mid-sized Camponotus (probably C. texanus) flew last weekend here. I saw a Pseudomyrmex gracilis male leave the nest two days ago. And, of course, I've seen Solenopsis invicta queens sporadically since January.

Would you be able to tell me any more specific time you saw S. invicta flying? And when exactly did you see them in January? That's very early.

#156 Offline cpman - Posted March 28 2015 - 6:51 AM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Would you be able to tell me any more specific time you saw S. invicta flying? And when exactly did you see them in January? That's very early.

I remember seeing some queens running around on the 20th of January. I also saw a few dead males. I noticed that they were the first queens of the year, then I killed them (because they were S. invicta). I've seen quite a few flights of that species in January before, typically on the few days up around 70-80 degrees F that we get.

Edited by cpman, March 28 2015 - 6:53 AM.

#157 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2015 - 2:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Database is up to 1110 nuptial flight reports now.

The Myrmecocystus sp. that lives in the foothills around here is flying today.  

Did you ever see these alates hanging around the nest entrance anymore after this?

#158 Offline kellakk - Posted March 31 2015 - 2:36 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

No, after that day the nest went dormant.  I haven't even seen workers out since then.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#159 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 31 2015 - 6:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Make sure you're not looking after about 3:00 pm, because they usually go in for the day around that time.

#160 Offline cpman - Posted April 3 2015 - 8:15 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Camponotus sansabeanus and another Camponotus (not sure on species) flew today. I saw around 100 total dealates of these two species running around starting at around 9:30 tonight. I caught one of each.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anting, mating, queens, swarming, alates, mating flight, nuptial flight

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users