• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart

anting mating queens swarming alates mating flight nuptial flight

• Please log in to reply
1665 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 26 2015 - 5:44 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Did you see them flying those months?

Yes.

Wait what do you mean flying? I saw founding chambers which were dug up and turned out to be D.insanus.

• OldManTrashcan likes this

#122 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 26 2015 - 5:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's what I mean. Flying or obviously flown within days.

#123 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 26 2015 - 6:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Than yes. :D

#124 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 3 2015 - 3:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Okay, instead of just updating the chart, I've decided to work on part of what I had been planning to do for a long time. I am actually scouring the internet for all the information on mating flights that the mating chart has been based on, and I am going to put it all into a database. This will be a lot easier to keep up-to-date, and will include much more information.

Once I have the database created, I can then make some dynamic charts that will generate at the time they are viewed. These charts will always be up-to-date, and won't need any periodic manual updates. With the extra information, I should be able to make more specific charts that might be more relevant to the person viewing it. For instance, if someone is from the Southwestern United States, they obviously don't need to see species that are only found in the North East. I might even create a page that'll allow someone to choose the criteria they would like and generate their own chart based on that. Also, since this database will have every individual report or record, the chart will also show in one way or another how often a specific species/date has been reported, so even though there may be multiple months that a species flies, you'll know when the activity peeks.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#125 Offline kellakk - Posted March 3 2015 - 4:10 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Do you want some help with that? If you give me the database schema I can write some queries that could match up to different criteria for chart generation.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#126 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 3 2015 - 4:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh cool, I forgot you know that stuff. I'm just planning to use a MySQL database and some PHP scripts, since that's what this forum runs on, and that's what I'm familiar with. I'll then put the pages in this post using an iframe, the same way I'm displaying the current chart. I'll let you know when I get to that point though. Right now I'm just collecting data.

#127 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 5 2015 - 2:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Dorymyrmex insanus flew a couple days ago in Trabuco Canyon, CA. It rained pretty good a day or two before.

#128 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 6 2015 - 3:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just finished going through the entire mating flight thread on yuku. :sore:  So far I've got 425 lines of data.

#129 Offline Miles - Posted March 6 2015 - 6:40 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I just finished going through the entire mating flight thread on yuku. :sore:  So far I've got 425 lines of data.

Citations for each?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#130 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 6 2015 - 6:43 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I found a Pogonomyrmex californicus queen out in the Salton Sea about 6-7 years back. It was December or January, 40 degree day time temperature. VERY windy (it felt like 20 degrees or less with the wind chill), but it was full sun that day for a period of one hour.

She was my best Pogonomyrmex colony I ever had.

So, while mostly ants fly at certain times...depending on conditions or whatever that causes them to fly...you can sometimes find certain species at any time of the month. :)

Just a tip. :)

#131 Offline kellakk - Posted March 6 2015 - 7:34 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Dorymyrmex bicolor and Dorymyrmex insanus flew today in Chino Hills State Park.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#132 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 6 2015 - 7:57 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Brachymyrmex depilis are flying tonight. I've been finding tons of queens (I moved them to planted pots, didn't keep any) in the pools around here.

#133 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 6 2015 - 8:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Citations for each?

I was going to do that at first, but figured there really isn't any point. I am however, keeping track of who (screen name including link to their profile on whatever website the screen name is from) makes the report. This will help keep the charts more accurate when the data is being queried. It will eliminate things like redundant reports and stuff like that.

Dorymyrmex bicolor and Dorymyrmex insanus flew today in Chino Hills State Park.

I hope you got a bunch of D. bicolor so you can trade me a few. :D I can never find those.

#134 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 6 2015 - 10:17 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Dorymyrmex bicolor flew today along the Rio Hondo River trail in South El Monte!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#135 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 10 2015 - 10:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha well, I'm trying to stick with actual reports or posts mentioning a flight during a particular month.

Okay, then you can at least add December, January, and August to D.insanus then. ;)

Do you have any specifics about the December and January flights, because I don't see any reports of them anywhere?

#136 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 10 2015 - 10:52 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Brachymyrmex depilis are flying tonight. I've been finding tons of queens (I moved them to planted pots, didn't keep any) in the pools around here.

Can I get the city?

#137 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 10 2015 - 10:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So I have gone through both mating flight threads from Yuku and this forum, and also added any other data that was missed from the old chart including the German chart. Right now I am up to 883 reports/lines of data. Next I'll be gathering data from all of the ant keeping Facebook groups.

#138 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 10 2015 - 5:55 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Chromerust posted a thread on the December flight, and I saw founding chambers. And I know that they flew in January and early February from the queens I caught.

#139 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 10 2015 - 6:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm just trying to get more detailed records so I can create more detailed charts.

Can you link me to where Chromerust posted about a December flight?

#140 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 10 2015 - 8:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

http://www.formicult...myrmex +insanus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anting, mating, queens, swarming, alates, mating flight, nuptial flight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users