• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gah, parents...

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#201 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 1 2022 - 2:48 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

according to Canada Ant Colony, most colonies fail after year 1. Is this true?

I think so. You never really see long lasting Prenolepis journals on here.

It's very possible we are all missing a natural resource that Prenolepis imparis have in the wild or they just have incredibly bad success rates like atta.

#202 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 1 2022 - 3:35 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

oh, thanks. I thought Camponotus and queens like that would be a little squished in a 16x150mm test tube

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#203 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2022 - 4:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

oh, thanks. I thought Camponotus and queens like that would be a little squished in a 16x150mm test tube

Nah, their founding chambers in wood are even smaller than that.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#204 Offline madbiologist - Posted April 1 2022 - 5:45 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I am also interested in buying ants!

Here's a link to our page, but Formiculture messages work well too.

https://buckeyemyrme...om/we-buy-ants/

Oops, I got stuck on an old page, here's the message I was intending to reply to.

Here is THA link to where it says they are buying ants.
https://tarheelants....s-for-sale-page

Edited by madbiologist, April 1 2022 - 5:47 PM.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#205 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 1 2022 - 6:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Nah, their founding chambers in wood are even smaller than that.

Yes. In general, test tubes are quite spacious for most ants. It would be like a new college graduate living in a brand new 3,000 square foot house on an acreage at the very beginning of his/her career. 

Edited by AntsDakota, April 1 2022 - 6:40 PM.

• ANTdrew and azzaaazzzz00 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#206 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 2 2022 - 10:59 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
True, I found an invicta queen founding chamber in which she could barely turn around…

#207 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 2 2022 - 11:46 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yeah. And if you think about it, ants don't really need a ton of space. They just need a place for themselves, a place for their brood, and a place to defecate. And if a queen has limited resources and is just trying to survive, why would she spend any more energy than she has to digging a spacious founding chamber?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#208 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 2 2022 - 3:38 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Oops, I got stuck on an old page, here's the message I was intending to reply to.

Here is THA link to where it says they are buying ants.
https://tarheelants....s-for-sale-page

I'm still waiting for my queens to get their first generation of workers. Prenolepis Imparis grow quite slowly. I'm guessing you only buy queens whith workers right?

• ColAnt735 likes this

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#209 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 2 2022 - 3:43 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

oops double post

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, April 2 2022 - 3:44 PM.

#210 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 3 2022 - 11:39 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Here is THA link to where it says they are buying ants.https://tarheelants....s-for-sale-page

I'm still waiting for my queens to get their first generation of workers. Prenolepis Imparis grow quite slowly. I'm guessing you only buy queens whith workers right?

I am not speaking on their behalf, but, I do know that most companies either buy them as soon as you catch them, or with workers to limit to odds of death.

#211 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 3 2022 - 12:10 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Oh, I didn't know that...I thought everyone only bought queens with workers to make sure they're fertile.

• ColAnt735 likes this

#212 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 3 2022 - 2:34 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Oh, I didn't know that...I thought everyone only bought queens with workers to make sure they're fertile.

I heard some buy off you immediately after you catch them. I may be wrong, but I think workers is the way to go, as you will probably make a bit more.

#213 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 3 2022 - 4:31 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I guess if someone asks to buy a queen from me right now I'll just give it them, I don't really want to make them wait

• ColAnt735 likes this

#214 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 3 2022 - 7:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Your goal is to make money; sell all you can. The majority of queens you collect are mated, so let the buyer sort that out.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#215 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 3 2022 - 8:25 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I usually won’t buy queens without workers, but most people do just buy queens.

#216 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 8 2022 - 12:32 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I just caught another queen but her gaster looks a bit slim. I'm going to post a pic in a few minutes

#217 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2022 - 12:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I just caught another queen but her gaster looks a bit slim. I'm going to post a pic in a few minutes

Feed her some sugar water.

#218 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 8 2022 - 12:47 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Ok, I'll get some now also heres some pics:

IMG20220408164112
IMG20220408163621
IMG20220408164054
Also I don't think this is Prenolepis Imaris, so I wonder what it is. I gave her some sugar water but it didn't really seem to do much.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, April 8 2022 - 1:13 PM.

#219 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 8 2022 - 4:11 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Mm measurement? I am nothing close to expert, but don’t Camponotus pennsylvanicus live where you do? Kind looks small compared to tube though.

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, April 8 2022 - 4:12 PM.

#220 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 8 2022 - 4:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Looks like a Lasius aphidicola queen to me, though better pictures are needed to be sure.

Edited by NickAnter, April 8 2022 - 4:14 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users