• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gah, parents...

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#241 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 23 2022 - 4:07 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Antpartment? You don't have to do that, it's just something I guess I have to just deal with. I mean to give you guys a better Idea heres a brief summary of what's been going on (and a little peek at how the converstion between my mom and I would probably go). I live in Bogota NJ and my parents work at a resturant that gets us enough money to get by. Now the resturant is going to be sold, and so is our house. No resturant=now job for my parents=no money=have to save money=no ants. We're probably moving into an aparment and ants in there are going to be a no-no. If I did ask, this is probably how it goes:

Me: can I pleaaasssseeee keep ants like inside or outside, or anywhere really???
My mom: can't you see we're in a type of money crisis right now?!
Me: but on Formiculture, there are people who are will to hel-
My mom: I don't care what they have to offer, I can't stand ants and that's that!
Me: Bu-
My mom: no
Me: B-
My mom: NO! And I don't want to hear ANYTHING about ants ever again. *angrily walks out of the room*

Short and sad conversation, but it's basicly what happens anytime I bring up ants (also the part about "And I don't want to hear ANYTHING about ants ever again" was directly quoted from every conversation about ants I've had with her). I know I shouldn't give up but what other choices do I have?

Keep ants when you are living on your own.

That problem has been solved for now… and if I didn’t keep ants for 4 years or so, I would eventually give up, and forget. I think most people would do the same and not want to try again as they would have “moved on”
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#242 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 24 2022 - 10:59 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Antpartment? You don't have to do that, it's just something I guess I have to just deal with. I mean to give you guys a better Idea heres a brief summary of what's been going on (and a little peek at how the converstion between my mom and I would probably go). I live in Bogota NJ and my parents work at a resturant that gets us enough money to get by. Now the resturant is going to be sold, and so is our house. No resturant=now job for my parents=no money=have to save money=no ants. We're probably moving into an aparment and ants in there are going to be a no-no. If I did ask, this is probably how it goes:

Me: can I pleaaasssseeee keep ants like inside or outside, or anywhere really???
My mom: can't you see we're in a type of money crisis right now?!
Me: but on Formiculture, there are people who are will to hel-
My mom: I don't care what they have to offer, I can't stand ants and that's that!
Me: Bu-
My mom: no
Me: B-
My mom: NO! And I don't want to hear ANYTHING about ants ever again. *angrily walks out of the room*

Short and sad conversation, but it's basicly what happens anytime I bring up ants (also the part about "And I don't want to hear ANYTHING about ants ever again" was directly quoted from every conversation about ants I've had with her). I know I shouldn't give up but what other choices do I have?

Keep ants when you are living on your own.

That problem has been solved for now… and if I didn’t keep ants for 4 years or so, I would eventually give up, and forget. I think most people would do the same and not want to try again as they would have “moved on”

Well I only offered this advice as a parent and one sympathetic.  

• gcsnelling and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#243 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 25 2022 - 7:38 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Here's my advice. Selling ant queens from outside make a lot of money. In Arizona I remember small leafcutter colonies went for $150. Now, I know New Jersey doesn't have that but they do have a lot of Acanthomyops species and those go for a lot too. 

#244 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 25 2022 - 5:26 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Here's my advice. Selling ant queens from outside make a lot of money. In Arizona I remember small leafcutter colonies went for $150. Now, I know New Jersey doesn't have that but they do have a lot of Acanthomyops species and those go for a lot too.

“leafcutters” in New Jersey and much of east coast

Check this out

https://www.antwiki....septentrionalis

Fungus farming will cut leaves and use caterpillar poop and insects frass.

#245 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 25 2022 - 8:25 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

“leafcutters” in New Jersey and much of east coast

Check this out

https://www.antwiki....septentrionalis

Fungus farming will cut leaves and use caterpillar poop and insects frass.

I hate to say it but I forgot all about Trachymyrmex septentrionalis lol.

• Chickalo and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#246 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 3 2022 - 3:19 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
True. Gotta love trachymyrmex. I like to see how popular this post has become. If only azzaaazzzz00 could make ad revenue off this lol. Has 4k+ views

Edited by SolenopsisKeeper-, May 3 2022 - 3:20 PM.

#247 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 3 2022 - 4:12 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Yea, I thought this would stop after like 5 posts but it went on for a lot longer. I think it's just because I ask a lot of questions  :D, thie only thing that has really happened is that 2 of my queens FINALY layed eggs. It's been like 3 months now.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, May 3 2022 - 4:13 PM.

• ColAnt735 likes this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#248 Offline Leo - Posted May 4 2022 - 1:43 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

not sure how relevant/helpful this would be, but if you go to school and have a locker, you could probably keep a couple founding queens and their tubes in a shoebox or something.

#249 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2022 - 3:37 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

You know, that's actually pretty smart. I don't think teachers check our lockers so it wouldn't be too hard to hide them. It's almost the end of the school year so that might have to wait for next year.

• ColAnt735 likes this

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#250 Offline Leo - Posted May 4 2022 - 7:06 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Even if they did check, you could probably toss some paper or light books onto the box to hide it, as I somewhat doubt a teacher would comb through a locker's contents bit by bit

Edited by Leo, May 4 2022 - 7:06 AM.

#251 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2022 - 7:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A lot worse stuff gets hidden in lockers, believe me.
  • antgallery likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#252 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 4 2022 - 1:09 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

A lot worse stuff gets hidden in lockers, believe me.

I wonder what they would think, looking for “contraband” and they come across a large ant in a tube

#253 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2022 - 2:28 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Hmm

Step 1: freak out

Step two: call all staff to the site

Step three: throw the test tube(s) out the window.

Step four: wash out the locker with a gallon...no, 10 gallons of soap and detergent.

My school is the home of the clean freaks (I'm not saying being clean is bad but when you get to the point of scrubing the same spot for 20 minutes, that's another story)

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, May 4 2022 - 2:34 PM.

• ColAnt735 likes this

#254 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted May 4 2022 - 2:58 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

You know, that's actually pretty smart. I don't think teachers check our lockers so it wouldn't be too hard to hide them. It's almost the end of the school year so that might have to wait for next year.

In my opinion, the sheer amount of noise and chaos that goes in on school might be a bit stressful on any queens.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#255 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2022 - 3:00 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Yea, I didn't think of that, and every time I open my locker I'm in a rush so all that shaking will just fling the queen around.

• ColAnt735 likes this

#256 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 10 2022 - 11:28 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

It's getting really hot here but, no queens so far. You think I should wait for a hot day after a rainy one?

• ColAnt735 likes this

#257 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2022 - 1:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Look for afternoons that hit 80 degrees with high humidity and light winds, even better if it’s after a rain.
  • azzaaazzzz00 and FloridaAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#258 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 11 2022 - 3:40 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Thanks! It'll get to the 80's near the end of the month.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, May 11 2022 - 3:41 AM.

#259 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 13 2022 - 3:09 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I went to the park today (not even to go looking for queens) and found a Tapinoma queen (?). That's about all that has happened so far. I feel like this is more of a "journal" on how I'm doing then the original purpose at the beginning.

#260 Offline lazyant - Posted May 13 2022 - 4:20 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

I went to the park today (not even to go looking for queens) and found a Tapinoma queen (?). That's about all that has happened so far. I feel like this is more of a "journal" on how I'm doing then the original purpose at the beginning.

Then make a new thread, maybe the "Gah parents" thread will be used for something else lol!

• azzaaazzzz00, ColAnt735 and FloridaAnts like this

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users