• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gah, parents...

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#181 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 27 2022 - 3:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In our region, the only ants I’d really worry about invading a garage would be Tapinoma sessile. You could keep them out of any setups by putting fluon on the outside of the setup. I would also aggressively deal with any ants invading your garage. Use Terro ant gel to kill any colonies coming in your garage. I don’t think invading ants should really be an issue you deal with.
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#182 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 27 2022 - 6:36 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Ok thanks, I'll put a little ant barrier (I can't find a place that sells fluon for a cheap price) on the outside just in case.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#183 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 27 2022 - 6:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Fluon is costly, but totally worth it. A bottle can last a long time as only a little bit is needed per colony. Baby powder and alcohol would be the only alternative I’d even consider.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#184 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 27 2022 - 6:49 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Where do you get your fluon, I can't find anywhere to get it

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#185 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 27 2022 - 9:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I order it from byFormica on Amazon. THA also sells some.

#186 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 27 2022 - 10:33 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

ok I'll get the THA one.

• ANTdrew and ColAnt735 like this

#187 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 28 2022 - 3:53 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

It's getting like unbelievably cold here today was in the 20s, should I be worried about the queens in the garage? There is no heating so that might be a problem...

#188 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted March 28 2022 - 4:25 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Winter ant queens(Can’t spell Latin name)? I bet it’s warmer in there, probably 40?(Would you say that’s accurate?) I have never kept them, but it will probably be okay considering you have them under a cover or in a cabinet to keep it dark

#189 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 28 2022 - 4:35 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Yes the winter ant queens (Prenolepis Imparis). I dout there's much of a diffrence because there's no heating and the wall doesn't keep in heat very well. I put them in a box with a few towles to protect them from vibrations and harsh weather. The thing I'm most afraid about is that if the water freezes it might break the test tube or mess up the hydration system for the queen (maybe flooding the test tube and drowning the her). I still don't know if that would help or not. I'm going to check on them sometime this week to make sure they're all still alive.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 28 2022 - 4:39 PM.

#190 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 28 2022 - 4:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sneak them in for tonight. Not worth risking it.

#191 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 28 2022 - 4:51 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

My moms home right now and my door is loud as sh*t. Plus I'm not really dressed for a 20 degree trip to the garage. I'm going to sleep now so I won't have time.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 28 2022 - 5:00 PM.

#192 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 30 2022 - 1:54 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Bad news, I checked and seems most if not all the queen are motionless besides the occasional swat of the antenna. I think they're basicly past the point of which I could save them (but maybe they 'll just go back to normal after it warms up). I hope to get smething to heat the queens I get in the future.

#193 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2022 - 3:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If antennae move, they’re probably ok.

#194 Offline NicholasP - Posted March 30 2022 - 4:38 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I doubt they're dead. Sometimes Prenolepis will not move their body at all in the cold but once it warms up they'll start moving around a little.

#195 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 31 2022 - 5:21 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Well I thought it was pretty wierd that they were in a normal position (cleaning themselves or just standing) but frozen.

#196 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 31 2022 - 12:36 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

according to Canada Ant Colony, most colonies fail after year 1. Is this true?

#197 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 31 2022 - 2:03 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

according to Canada Ant Colony, most colonies fail after year 1. Is this true?

I think so. You never really see long lasting Prenolepis journals on here.

#198 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 31 2022 - 2:51 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
I have a colony of Prenolepis imparis that is turning two years old this May and another one that's turning one years old in April so in my experience in captivity is that most P.imparis colonies do last over a year. Although this is my experience others experiences may be different.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#199 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 1 2022 - 2:16 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I'm getting more test tubes today, I want to get two sizes: 16x150mm for smaller queens, and originally 20x150 for larger queens. I figured 20x150 would be way to big, so what size test tube should I get?

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, April 1 2022 - 2:17 PM.

#200 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2022 - 2:28 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You’ll be fine with the 16mm ones for any queens in our area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users