• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Inexpensive ant dish.

#australia

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 12 2021 - 8:51 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I had been wondering what to use in test tubes to feed my ants honey, I used grease paper but it eventually bends and leaks... costing the life of a worker from time to time. Foil is too finicky and easy moves or get stuck. 

Also thought about buying 3D printed ant dishes to put in but its too costly when first starting out and having many tubes. I then remembered I had some small pop vials I could cut the lip off and use as a tiny dish. 

So here I am sharing this for others just as an Idea. Its inexpensive to buy them and I guess you can use the remains of the tubes for something else.

Some pictures of what you can use. I already used bottle lids and cut them to size but they were still too large for test tubes or small outworlds/founding ones and allowed the ant to get stuck in it easy. (when its just one queen.)

IMG_20211212_212653.jpg

Replacing old dish with smaller one.

IMG_20211212_210143.jpg

IMG_20211212_210202.jpg

Small one in test tube.

Iridomyrmex Bicknelli colony.jpg

I hope this information helps someone. <3

Edited by PaigeX, December 12 2021 - 10:15 AM.

• Antkeeper01, UtahAnts, cap_backfire and 2 others like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#2 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 14 2021 - 10:46 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

not bad

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#3 Offline cap_backfire - Posted December 15 2021 - 7:11 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I LOVE that idea for the test tubes.   I've been using plastic bottle caps since my ants moved into a proper vivarium, but the test tube thing is dynamite!  

• PaigeX likes this

#4 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 15 2021 - 8:50 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

the only problem with them is that small ants drown in them :(

#5 Offline ryanp347 - Posted December 15 2021 - 8:55 AM

ryanp347

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley, California
I've seen foil used on several occasions it seems like it is disposed of after each feeding
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#6 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 15 2021 - 3:16 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I've seen foil used on several occasions it seems like it is disposed of after each feeding

I do that with these too as there are so many of them and they are cheap to make. i don't put effort into cleaning the small ones or bottle caps when i have an endless supply of them xD  

the only problem with them is that small ants drown in them :(

its like even if you have a single drop they will still find some way to drown in it. xD At least the smaller it is the lesser they might drown. 

May God Bless you.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 15 2021 - 5:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Soak liquids in paper towel squares.
  • PaigeX likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 15 2021 - 5:36 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Soak liquids in paper towel squares.

or cotton

• PaigeX likes this

#9 Offline Boog - Posted December 16 2021 - 6:53 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I've been using vinyl tubing cut into feeding trays for my incipient colonies. Here are tiny ones for my Pheidole colonies, I used 1/4" OD vinyl tubing that I made sure was long enough to separate the protein and sunburst nectar. I use a mini squeeze bottle with the nectar that allows me to place a single drop. I was laying a bed of bloodworm soup with the help of the metal poker that I later topped off with a chunk of mealworm.

gallery_4140_1594_101727.jpg

I use the metal spoon to mix the small amount of bloodworm soup I was needing. These small trays from 1/4" tubing cut using a pair of normal scissors fits perfectly in test tube setups and I've made larger ones from 1/2" OD vinyl tubing for my larger ants to use in their outworld.

gallery_4140_1594_42956.jpg

No activity here but you can see how easily these fit into small tubing and connectors. I'm trying to move some colonies from their dry test tubes and am feeding at the same time so placed it here in this tubing connection, normally I'd place the feeders in the test tube setup itself.

gallery_4140_1594_230583.jpg

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard, UtahAnts and 2 others like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#10 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 16 2021 - 10:25 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

that's a really great idea! Thanks for sharing your method with us!

May God Bless you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users