• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

PaigeX Main Ant Journal

#australia

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 21 2021 - 6:44 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

one of the two queens i have. she is 2-3mm long and going by the pictures only has two brood.

20211222_1228_001_Moment.jpg

20211222_1228_002_Moment.jpg

One of the few males that was with the queens. died after mating. larger one. some are smaller.

20211222_1231_002_Moment.jpg

Edited by PaigeX, December 21 2021 - 6:50 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#22 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 21 2021 - 8:12 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Maybe it's Solenopsis papuana, it's native to New Guinea and many of the Pacific islands but invasive in Queensland. I found it on Antweb. And I'm at least 80% sure it's S. papuana because some specimens on Antweb are bright yellow/orange and most of the details seem to match.

Likely those. From what I can see, they look solenopsidine. Paige, mind if you try to get a picture of a queen?

that's just it. There are no larger ants in this colony and any others that I find out side. Either they all have no queens or the queens look too similar to the workers. I have Queens of similar size that are 3mm long. I'll get a picture of one of the dead ones I collected. Might be the same species. But only one other colony I've found out of the 10+ had larger workers. I do think it was a different species. 

Maybe it's Solenopsis papuana, it's native to New Guinea and many of the Pacific islands but invasive in Queensland. I found it on Antweb. And I'm at least 80% sure it's S. papuana because some specimens on Antweb are bright yellow/orange and most of the details seem to match.

When I googled the name. This picture came up.
Its looks identical to what I have but its only Native to USA and no accounts are of it here in QLD.
https://www.discover...arch=Solenopsis

Solenopsis molesta, worker

So it might be Solenopsis papuana as you say. 

EDIT: On a site i found the same one for sale but its only classed as Solenopsis sp. 
https://www.antkeepi...s-sp-queen-only

The ant you found at Antkeepingdepot might actually be S. papuana but the seller doesn't know, be S. pachycera but I couldn't find information to confirm it or it's an undescribed species of Solenopsis. I'll do more research and see what I can find.

Edit: The two queens of the post above are not Solenopsis, they both resemble Crematogastrini ants, possibly Tetramorium.

Edit 2 : I found three more Solenopsis species that could be the one you have, S. clarki, S. froggatti and S. fusciventris. Do note that all of them still needs verification in Queensland.

Edited by SYUTEO, December 21 2021 - 8:57 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#23 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 21 2021 - 10:15 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Very interesting! I did not think to look for some that need verification, or knew how to go about it.

I tried to get better pictures.

20211222_1541_005_Moment.jpg

20211222_1543_008.jpg

20211222_1546_014.jpg

• Antkeeper01 likes this

May God Bless you.

#24 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 21 2021 - 10:52 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

one of the two queens i have. she is 2-3mm long and going by the pictures only has two brood.

attachicon.gif20211222_1228_001_Moment.jpg
attachicon.gif20211222_1228_002_Moment.jpg

One of the few males that was with the queens. died after mating. larger one. some are smaller.
attachicon.gif20211222_1231_002_Moment.jpg

The queens are of a Tetramorium species and those need feeding in the founding stage. Ur workers are likely a Solenopsis species and have no queen.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): ★ Camponotus irritans inferior, ★ Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, ★ Nylanderia sp., ★ Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), ★ Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#25 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 22 2021 - 1:46 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

attachicon.gif20211222_1228_001_Moment.jpg
attachicon.gif20211222_1228_002_Moment.jpg

attachicon.gif20211222_1231_002_Moment.jpg

The queens are of a Tetramorium species and those need feeding in the founding stage. Ur workers are likely a Solenopsis species and have no queen.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: gave them each a drop of honey, they loved it. I gave it to them once before but they didn't want it then.

Edited by PaigeX, December 22 2021 - 1:58 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

May God Bless you.

#26 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 23 2021 - 12:38 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

First thing first, I did up my little ant area. Its in the spare bed room that's for storage and two Birds in their cages. (hand raised, cuddled and talked to daily) There is room just for all to be in it and walking space.

I added shelving to the wall I had brought years ago but never used. Then set up my ants on it and what I use below. Now I have a spare table to work on and more space for inflation haha.

I've got lights and will add them soon for the ants.

Its like the only organised spot of the room xD

IMG_20211222_192446.jpg

Next part is the honey experiment I did. As you can buy many kinds here I wanted to see what my ants liked the most. I found they like the Bush honey more than anything. Next is the Yellow box and 3rd is normal honey. They aint fussed on manuka honey. I wanted to see if the native ants liked the native honey better and I was right.

IMG_20211223_132808.jpg

IMG_20211223_132814.jpg

IMG_20211223_132823.jpg

Ants love it. The newest colony I have swarmed it. Made for a cute picture. Blurry ants are running around haha

IMG_20211223_192703.jpg

Edited by PaigeX, December 23 2021 - 12:39 PM.

• Kaelwizard, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this

May God Bless you.

#27 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 28 2021 - 8:46 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

One of my Polyrhachis Ammon queens got her first worker today! Its so cute and staying over the brood.

Polyrhachis Ammon queen first worker 28-12-21-.jpg

• Antkeeper01, SYUTEO, JCRHJM and 1 other like this

May God Bless you.

#28 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 28 2021 - 11:33 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

One of my Polyrhachis Ammon queens got her first worker today! Its so cute and staying over the brood.

attachicon.gifPolyrhachis Ammon queen first worker 28-12-21-.jpg

awesome!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

#29 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 1 2022 - 7:45 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Big update!

First:

Polyrhachis Ammon queen got another new worker. But they also decided to pile all the seeds on the wet cotton  :facepalm:

IMG_20220101_204246_1.jpg

Next is a Polyrhachis Australis colony I collected from in between insulation foil. I had to remove them because I sprayed bug spray above them unknowingly while removing another colony of Crematogaster sp. going into the outdoors Bird Aviary. 

I blu tacked some leaves to the side of a container and they moved right in.

IMG_20211228_144252.jpg

IMG_20211228_144315.jpg

Thirdly, One of my Polyrhachis vermiculosa got bigger and had many workers sitting outside the test tubes on the black paper. So I had to add another tube and a bigger outworld. They moved right in. (far left)
They also have lots of males coming out so that is taking up more space.

IMG_20220101_203707.jpg

After I added the new outworld they hung out in the tubing and are still there 12hours later.

IMG_20220101_203647_1.jpg

A few weeks ago I ordered a Polyrhachis Phryne Queen from queenofants and the queen came with a worker and pupa. She has laid an egg since.

IMG_20211217_145557.jpg

Lastly to my very much happiness and excitement, I found a Polyrhachis Daemeli Queen today!
I was outside cleaning up the back patio and saw a silver spiny ant. I wanted to know what kind it was to ID it so caught it in a vile. I later Saw it was a Queen! I was so happy I did a happy dance. xD 

20220102_1002_004_Moment.jpg

PS: I've caught so many queens lately I've ran out of 15mm and 18mm test tubes. (brought like 10-20 of each) I only have 20mm and 13mm left now and it seems I need to restock.xD

• Antkeeper01, SYUTEO, JCRHJM and 1 other like this

May God Bless you.

#30 Offline JCRHJM - Posted January 1 2022 - 11:19 PM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Big update!

First:

Polyrhachis Ammon queen got another new worker. But they also decided to pile all the seeds on the wet cotton  :facepalm:

attachicon.gifIMG_20220101_204246_1.jpg

Next is a Polyrhachis Australis colony I collected from in between insulation foil. I had to remove them because I sprayed bug spray above them unknowingly while removing another colony of Crematogaster sp. going into the outdoors Bird Aviary. 

I blu tacked some leaves to the side of a container and they moved right in.

attachicon.gifIMG_20211228_144252.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20211228_144315.jpg

Thirdly, One of my Polyrhachis vermiculosa got bigger and had many workers sitting outside the test tubes on the black paper. So I had to add another tube and a bigger outworld. They moved right in. (far left)
They also have lots of males coming out so that is taking up more space.

attachicon.gifIMG_20220101_203707.jpg

After I added the new outworld they hung out in the tubing and are still there 12hours later.

attachicon.gifIMG_20220101_203647_1.jpg

A few weeks ago I ordered a Polyrhachis Phryne Queen from queenofants and the queen came with a worker and pupa. She has laid an egg since.

attachicon.gifIMG_20211217_145557.jpg

Lastly to my very much happiness and excitement, I found a Polyrhachis Daemeli Queen today!
I was outside cleaning up the back patio and saw a silver spiny ant. I wanted to know what kind it was to ID it so caught it in a vile. I later Saw it was a Queen! I was so happy I did a happy dance. xD 

attachicon.gif20220102_1002_004_Moment.jpg

PS: I've caught so many queens lately I've ran out of 15mm and 18mm test tubes. (brought like 10-20 of each) I only have 20mm and 13mm left now and it seems I need to restock.xD

pretty cool what you did with the leaves

• PaigeX likes this

#31 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 2 2022 - 9:26 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I went by the nest they weaved with the foil insulation and picked leaves with a big out curve to make more room for them.

Cut one into a heart too. I also didn't tack around the whole leave knowing they would use silk to fill the gabs, which they have since the picture.
Still Trying to find out what they like to eat as no websites say what their liked diet is.

Edited by PaigeX, January 2 2022 - 9:27 AM.

• Antkeeper01, SYUTEO and JCRHJM like this

May God Bless you.

#32 Offline SYUTEO - Posted January 2 2022 - 7:08 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Do you have any tips for raising Polyrhachis queens? I never succeded in my 3 years of ant keeping and the farthest I've got to was getting them to lay eggs.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#33 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 2 2022 - 7:17 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Do you have any tips for raising Polyrhachis queens? I never succeded in my 3 years of ant keeping and the farthest I've got to was getting them to lay eggs.

were they only in the test tube? If so add a drop of honey on something at all times. I have some of mine in the test tube and a small mini outworld. They seem to like the added mini outworld better.

Edited by PaigeX, January 3 2022 - 11:16 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

May God Bless you.

#34 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 2 2022 - 7:20 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Found a Colobopsis Macrocephala Queen last night. We have a mosquito trap with a fan and she was in the holding bin. She seems fine and I hope she lives to make a nice colony.

20220103_0820_001_Moment.jpg

• Antkeeper01, antsandmore and Leptomyrmx like this

May God Bless you.

#35 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 2 2022 - 9:07 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

were they only in the test tube? If so add a drop of honey on something at all times. I have some of mine in the test tube and a small mini outworld. They seem to like the added mini outworld better.
If you want I can send you a Polyrhachis Ammon queen that has some eggs/brood if you live in Aus.

sadly they live in Malaysia I think

• azzaaazzzz00 and PaigeX like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#36 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 5 2022 - 2:46 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Update:

The two Tetramorium sp. queens past away and sprouted fungus. They were going so well. 
I released the 
Solenopsis Sp. colony that had no queen. No growth and were just sitting there waiting to die.

Released the Camponotus Elegans small colony back where I found them as they rarely came out of the test tube and I'm more interested in Polyrhachis.

Polyrhachis Australis are doing well and seem to be ok now. Not sure If I want to keep them yet or release them to another place away from the bird aviary and spray. 

Found a Myrmecia Gilberti Queen who had just dug her founding chamber. While I was walking inside from my storage container (shipping container) with plastic containers to DIY and modify for the ants I rolled my foot and was unable to walk on it. I can place some weight on it now but its still very swollen. I could not complete the setup for the new queen and had to simply deal with putting her test tube in a tub with sand. No decorations. And yes I gave honey to her after these pictures. 

Wasn't able to get better pictures at this time. Sorry.

IMG_20220105_152646.jpg

IMG_20220105_152659.jpg

Also finished sketching up some designs to make Ytong Nests. I went by what I found outside with other colony's and what other people have done. 

IMG_20220103_090212.jpg

Edited by PaigeX, January 8 2022 - 7:09 PM.

• Antkeeper01, m99, JCRHJM and 1 other like this

May God Bless you.

#37 Offline JCRHJM - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:14 PM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Sorry to hear about your foot, if I were you I would throw away the tetramorium setups asap on the off chance that they came down with cordyceps. The nest designs look nice!

• PaigeX likes this

#38 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:33 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Sorry to hear about your foot, if I were you I would throw away the tetramorium setups asap on the off chance that they came down with cordyceps. The nest designs look nice!

Yea that was the first thing I did just in case. No reused of what i had them in. straight into the trash. Also my foot has ballooned up and I have to go to the Doc, My Mum thinks I've broken or fractured a bone as she had the same thing happen to her when she was younger. 

May God Bless you.

#39 Offline JCRHJM - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:38 PM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Yea that was the first thing I did just in case. No reused of what i had them in. straight into the trash. Also my foot has ballooned up and I have to go to the Doc, My Mum thinks I've broken or fractured a bone as she had the same thing happen to her when she was younger. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery, at least your nigrocincta should be arriving today

• PaigeX likes this

#40 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 5 2022 - 3:47 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Update:

The two Tetramorium sp. queens past away and sprouted fungus. They were going so well. 
I released the 
Solenopsis Sp. colony that had no queen. No growth and were just sitting there waiting to die.

Released the Camponotus Elegans small colony back where I found them as they rarely came out of the test tube and I'm more interested in Polyrhachis.

Polyrhachis Australis are doing well and seem to be ok now. Not sure If I want to keep them yet or release them to another place away from the bird aviary and spray. 

Found a Myrmecia Piliventris Queen who had just dug her founding chamber. While I was walking inside from my storage container (shipping container) with plastic containers to DIY and modify for the ants I rolled my foot and was unable to walk on it. I can place some weight on it now but its still very swollen. I could not complete the setup for the new queen and had to simply deal with putting her test tube in a tub with sand. No decorations. And yes I gave honey to her after these pictures. 

Wasn't able to get better pictures at this time. Sorry.

attachicon.gifIMG_20220105_152646.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220105_152659.jpg

Also finished sketching up some designs to make Ytong Nests. I went by what I found outside with other colony's and what other people have done. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20220103_090212.jpg

Ah, piliventris are a very nice species, not to aggressive with a milder sting than some other Myrmecia species. Nice Ytong nest designs as well.

Hope your foot feels better soon.

• PaigeX likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users