• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

PaigeX Main Ant Journal

#australia

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 8 2022 - 7:10 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Update:

The two Tetramorium sp. queens past away and sprouted fungus. They were going so well. 
I released the 
Solenopsis Sp. colony that had no queen. No growth and were just sitting there waiting to die.

Released the Camponotus Elegans small colony back where I found them as they rarely came out of the test tube and I'm more interested in Polyrhachis.

Polyrhachis Australis are doing well and seem to be ok now. Not sure If I want to keep them yet or release them to another place away from the bird aviary and spray. 

Found a Myrmecia Piliventris Queen who had just dug her founding chamber. While I was walking inside from my storage container (shipping container) with plastic containers to DIY and modify for the ants I rolled my foot and was unable to walk on it. I can place some weight on it now but its still very swollen. I could not complete the setup for the new queen and had to simply deal with putting her test tube in a tub with sand. No decorations. And yes I gave honey to her after these pictures. 

Wasn't able to get better pictures at this time. Sorry.

attachicon.gifIMG_20220105_152646.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220105_152659.jpg

Also finished sketching up some designs to make Ytong Nests. I went by what I found outside with other colony's and what other people have done. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20220103_090212.jpg

Ah, piliventris are a very nice species, not to aggressive with a milder sting than some other Myrmecia species. Nice Ytong nest designs as well.

Hope your foot feels better soon.

i was able to get a better look and found she is Myrmecia Gilberti. They look so similar but with Myrmecia Gilberti the gold does not cover the full butt.

• Antkeeper01 and Leptomyrmx like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#42 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 9 2022 - 12:37 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Update:

My Ochetellus glaber colony are doing very well. They have a small trash pile in the middle of the tube made from when I first added them but seem to keep it down.

all the rest of the spots you see are piles and piles of eggs. I'm always amazed at how small the eggs are.

FYI they are coved with black paper when I don't look at them. I always remove the covering to take pictures for obvious reasons. 

I love checking up on these girls as they are just so cute being so small. Being black in colour they are easier to watch and keep track.

IMG_20220109_183223.jpg

• smares, Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

May God Bless you.

#43 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 9 2022 - 9:14 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Well it turns out that Iridomyrmex Bicknelli can climb on fluon. When I went to check on my ants I saw a whole lot of worker ants running around. I had just gave them an outworld that used fluon as the barrier. So its back to olive oil for me. Seems the small ant species here in AUS can easy cross Fluon.  

• Antkeeper01 likes this

May God Bless you.

#44 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 13 2022 - 9:21 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Update on the largest Polyrhachis vermiculosa colony I have.

They have boomed in numbers again and are starting to outgrow the test tubes in the tub. I'm gonna have to start stacking the tubes. However I'm guessing by the time the males leave there will be more room.

IMG_20220113_165914.jpg

Very hard to lift the black paper up without getting some on my hands now.

IMG_20220113_165943_1.jpg

• Antkeeper01, JCRHJM and Leptomyrmx like this

May God Bless you.

#45 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 14 2022 - 8:03 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Well... today I found out that Polyrhachis Australis can walk "upside down" on fluon... 
I was hoping I could use just fluon on my setups but it seems some of the kinds of ants here in AUS can not only walk over it but upside down too.
Again I have to go back to using olive oil. Very annoying.

So far it seems only Polyrhachis Ammon and Polyrhachis vermiculosa can't walk on it.

BUT.. Bull ants, Ochetellus glaber, Iridomyrmex Bicknelli and Polyrhachis Australis have all proven they can.

Oh fluon... your not getting a good track record with me.  :lol:

• Antkeeper01 and antsandmore like this

May God Bless you.

#46 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 15 2022 - 3:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update on the largest Polyrhachis vermiculosa colony I have.
They have boomed in numbers again and are starting to outgrow the test tubes in the tub. I'm gonna have to start stacking the tubes. However I'm guessing by the time the males leave there will be more room.

IMG_20220113_165914.jpg

This colony is awesome!
Fluon’s effectiveness is really dependent on humidity and good ventilation. Humidity can get very high in lidded containers especially if you have multiple test tubes.
  • PaigeX likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#47 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 15 2022 - 9:54 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Update on the largest Polyrhachis vermiculosa colony I have.
They have boomed in numbers again and are starting to outgrow the test tubes in the tub. I'm gonna have to start stacking the tubes. However I'm guessing by the time the males leave there will be more room.

IMG_20220113_165914.jpg

This colony is awesome!
Fluon’s effectiveness is really dependent on humidity and good ventilation. Humidity can get very high in lidded containers especially if you have multiple test tubes.

Yea. I live in a very humid place so I might have to stick to oil upside down and/or on sides. Being in QLD Australia fluon is not of great use it seems.
Thank you for the information! <3

• Antkeeper01 likes this

May God Bless you.

#48 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 19 2022 - 2:27 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Big update:

Cleaned up the Polyrhachis Ammon outworld and made it look nicer. I plan to give a bigger one soon.
IMG_20220116_191331_1.jpg

IMG_20220116_191336.jpg

Also fixed up the Polyrhachis Australis outworld.

IMG_20220116_193022_1.jpg

Gave a lot of the Camponotus Aeneopilosus queens mini outworlds as they are getting more workers now and when I open the plug on the test tube they all run out and go crazy. So very hard to feed in a tube.
they are on the top shelf with others in mini outworlds. Half are mine half I want to sell. 

IMG_20220118_205113.jpg

For a few months now we have had mini ants inside on our kitchen area and have been unable to get rid of them as they were living in the wall somewhere. Some time a few days ago I saw they moved the queen out and she was running around the sink. I was able to remove her with a few workers and she has since been moved into a small test tube and laid eggs. I might collect more worker ants later. She is a Ochetellus glaber queen.

IMG_20220115_184912.jpg

some new pictures of my personal queens I'm keeping. Not to sell.
IMG_20220116_193941_1.jpg

IMG_20220116_204227.jpg

I've also taken mini videos of them and I have to teach my self how to put all the clips together into one video. Then I'll post them on my youtube.

On another note.. who wants to play a game? Its called spot the Polyrhachis vermiculosa Queen.  :D 
IMG_20220116_180435_1.jpg

IMG_20220116_180436_1.jpg

I've got more pictures of some ants I took with my USB Digital Microscope. I'll post them later once I got through them all.

• smares, Kaelwizard, m99 and 2 others like this

May God Bless you.

#49 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 19 2022 - 3:04 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Big update:

Cleaned up the Polyrhachis Ammon outworld and made it look nicer. I plan to give a bigger one soon.
attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_191331_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_191336.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_193022_1.jpg

Gave a lot of the Camponotus Aeneopilosus queens mini outworlds as they are getting more workers now and when I open the plug on the test tube they all run out and go crazy. So very hard to feed in a tube.
they are on the top shelf with others in mini outworlds. Half are mine half I want to sell. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20220118_205113.jpg

For a few months now we have had mini ants inside on our kitchen area and have been unable to get rid of them as they were living in the wall somewhere. Some time a few days ago I saw they moved the queen out and she was running around the sink. I was able to remove her with a few workers and she has since been moved into a small test tube and laid eggs. I might collect more worker ants later. She is a Ochetellus glaber queen.

attachicon.gifIMG_20220115_184912.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_193941_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_204227.jpg

I've also taken mini videos of them and I have to teach my self how to put all the clips together into one video. Then I'll post them on my youtube.

On another note.. who wants to play a game? Its called spot the Polyrhachis vermiculosa Queen.  :D 
attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_180435_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_180436_1.jpg

I've got more pictures of some ants I took with my USB Digital Microscope. I'll post them later once I got through them all.

W h e e e
~this ant

If the image didn't load please tell me

yep it didn't load

Edited by Leptomyrmx, January 19 2022 - 9:21 PM.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#50 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 19 2022 - 9:14 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Big update:

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_191331_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_191336.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_193022_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220118_205113.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220115_184912.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_193941_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_204227.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_180435_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20220116_180436_1.jpg

W h e e e
~this ant

If the image didn't load please tell me

didn't load xD

• Leptomyrmx likes this

May God Bless you.

#51 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 21 2022 - 9:34 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Today I was able to ID one of my Queen ants. Was not sure what she was until she got workers so I can now say she is a Crematogaster Laeviceps queen. I took a small video of her with the USB Digital Microscope and thought it was cute to see the difference in colour from the newer workers to the older ones.

• smares, Kaelwizard, ANTdrew and 3 others like this

May God Bless you.

#52 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 24 2022 - 8:51 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Those are definetely acorn ants

DID ya find them in a acorn

Edited by Idontexist, January 24 2022 - 8:54 AM.

#53 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 24 2022 - 9:47 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Or myrmica

#54 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 24 2022 - 11:47 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Or myrmica

no, they are Crematogaster 

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#55 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 24 2022 - 5:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Australian Crematogasters! Awesome!
  • Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#56 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 24 2022 - 6:32 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Those are definetely acorn ants

DID ya find them in a acorn

And my pfp is Meranoplus acfamilius lol

• azzaaazzzz00 and PaigeX like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#57 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 25 2022 - 3:49 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

• antsandmore likes this

May God Bless you.

#58 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 28 2022 - 6:11 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

All colony's growth is doing very well. 

Ochetellus glaber colony have just about out grown their first test tube. Will have to add another soon.

Found a Ochetellus glaber queen on my kitchen cupboard, we have had small inside ants for months and could not get rid of them. The colony decided to move the nest and I was able to collect the queen with some workers. I'll add pictures of them later.

I had to release the few Camponotus Eastwoodi queens I had because they had not laid eggs in months. Thus not mated. Was sad to just see them staying still in a test tube for so long. They are easy able to be reintegrated into a wild colony to hopefully have another nuptial flight.

My personal Iridomyrmex Bicknelli Queen is also booming in numbers. Has a good amount of workers and a hugeeeee pile of brood. Massive amount, I expect them to really kick off in numbers soon.

My personal Polyrhachis Ammon founding Queens are doing well.

Queen A - Still has 3 workers with brood and a cocoon.

Queen B - Has two workers now and brood.
Queen C - Has her first worker with brood.

The Polyrhachis Australis colony has also grown in numbers very fast and making many more brood to go with it. They really love the crickets and roaches. Not so much mealworms. 

IMG_4651.JPG

This little lady landed on me while I was outside. Sadly, she died a few days later. I'm guessing she did not mate.

lovely lady.png

I found a new small colony of Melophorus rufoniger, they had a 8-10 worker die off a week later and I'm not sure why. I've given them sugars and protein but there is something weird. When I collected them, there were no brood chambers, no cocoons, no eggs. I searched the whole area and even found the queen but there were no brood. I'm thinking that is why. I also saw some other wild colony collect gum tree nuts. So i gave some to them as well as crickets and roaches this time. Have not seen a dead worker for two days. Could change by tomorrow.

Here is what they looked like before the die off.

IMG_4587.JPG

I will get pictures later of the unidentified queen ant I have. Its hard to get pictures of my ants lately as I've been asleep most of the day and when I am awake I'm too busy.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

May God Bless you.

#59 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 28 2022 - 6:43 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

All colony's growth is doing very well. 

Ochetellus glaber colony have just about out grown their first test tube. Will have to add another soon.

Found a Ochetellus glaber queen on my kitchen cupboard, we have had small inside ants for months and could not get rid of them. The colony decided to move the nest and I was able to collect the queen with some workers. I'll add pictures of them later.

I had to release the few Camponotus Eastwoodi queens I had because they had not laid eggs in months. Thus not mated. Was sad to just see them staying still in a test tube for so long. They are easy able to be reintegrated into a wild colony to hopefully have another nuptial flight.

My personal Iridomyrmex Bicknelli Queen is also booming in numbers. Has a good amount of workers and a hugeeeee pile of brood. Massive amount, I expect them to really kick off in numbers soon.

My personal Polyrhachis Ammon founding Queens are doing well.

Queen A - Still has 3 workers with brood and a cocoon.

Queen B - Has two workers now and brood.
Queen C - Has her first worker with brood.

The Polyrhachis Australis colony has also grown in numbers very fast and making many more brood to go with it. They really love the crickets and roaches. Not so much mealworms. 

attachicon.gifIMG_4651.JPG

This little lady landed on me while I was outside. Sadly, she died a few days later. I'm guessing she did not mate.

attachicon.giflovely lady.png

I found a new small colony of Melophorus rufoniger, they had a 8-10 worker die off a week later and I'm not sure why. I've given them sugars and protein but there is something weird. When I collected them, there were no brood chambers, no cocoons, no eggs. I searched the whole area and even found the queen but there were no brood. I'm thinking that is why. I also saw some other wild colony collect gum tree nuts. So i gave some to them as well as crickets and roaches this time. Have not seen a dead worker for two days. Could change by tomorrow.

Here is what they looked like before the die off.

attachicon.gifIMG_4587.JPG

I will get pictures later of the unidentified queen ant I have. Its hard to get pictures of my ants lately as I've been asleep most of the day and when I am awake I'm too busy.

Ohhhh so jealous of the Melophorus. That queen looked like a Papyrius sp., which is a social parasite species! I caught one once, sadly died as well.

• PaigeX likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#60 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 29 2022 - 9:08 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Here is a picture I took a day ago that shows the growth of the Ochetellus glaber colony.
Will have to give another test tube soon or move them into a nest I ordered online with a voucher I won from Anty Matters.
I'm so happy to get a real nest not made by myself xD

If you look back to the last picture and then this one. You can see what 20 days worth of growth looks like.

IMG_4658.JPG

Edited by PaigeX, January 29 2022 - 9:09 AM.

May God Bless you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #australia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users