• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A new low for AC?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Offline futurebird - Posted October 18 2021 - 3:48 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Well if he wants gross bird poop is good for many ants. And it could be educational explaining why....

Is the snot thing the same or was it just random?

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#22 Offline Chickalo - Posted October 19 2021 - 4:42 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

As AntKeeper01 pointed out, there's a literal 8:1 ration of yes to no. Though that's a good point to it showing an outcome, Mmcguffi, there's still a week for children to combine their beloved colonies.  Futurebird said to ignore him, which is good enough for the more intermediate-experienced group (usually 13+) because they will learn that the majority of the community agrees; AntsCanada isn't the best source.  The others may or may not have access to that knowledge.  Nobody really points it out on YouTube, and it's not like they've found other social's to look at ants on.

Doesn't he say that other people shouldn't try it?

Since when did kids start listening on what they should and should not do, or maybe I was just a very bad child

Edited by Chickalo, October 19 2021 - 5:05 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#23 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 23 2021 - 2:26 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Welp, he's done it, he killed some of the workers.  :facepalm:

Stupid AC family.

• Manitobant, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 1 other like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#24 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 24 2021 - 1:23 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yeah. It's too bad. Also, when people who don't know much about ants find out I have colonies they are like "oh have you heard of Ants Canada?" and I just give this awkward smile/grimace and try to change the subject because I know what a weirdo I'll sound like if I start ranting about the guy... and I am nearly always ready to rant about the guy. 

And that's not so great is it?

I'm going to just let go of my disappointment. And be happy about how much fun I'm having with the colony. It's silly to be an adult mad about a gross out channel for kids that's cruel to pet insects and doesn't teach respect. Our whole culture is like that. He's just a mirror. Instead I'll share ant keeping with my students in an afterschool club. (I'm a math teacher but I help with science clubs.)

ikr. My friends keep talking about AC when I mention my ant colonies. I'm glad my younger cousin prefers my ants over his :)
Honestly I wish AC would go back to the old him. The time when he was just a regular person. Nowadays I just watch other ant keeping youtubers. Actually its a shame nordic ants isn't uploading much. I love his vids.

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo and SYUTEO like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#25 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 24 2021 - 6:03 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I think someone should tell not to listen to the 90% of his viewers, they're just cruel people who want to see him mix his colonies together in an "epic" ant war.

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#26 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 24 2021 - 6:55 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I think someone should tell not to listen to the 90% of his viewers, they're just cruel people who want to see him mix his colonies together in an "epic" ant war.

he won’t listen, trust me. All he cares about are those viewers, not the ants.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#27 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 24 2021 - 7:11 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Guess we'll never save him. Wait, has anyone tried?

• Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#28 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 24 2021 - 7:18 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

he’s too far gone I'm afraid. Like any big personality, he will ignore messages from random fans, and he has already shown that he only cares about money.
  • KadinB likes this

#29 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 24 2021 - 7:24 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

he’s too far gone I'm afraid. Like any big personality, he will ignore messages from random fans, and he has already shown that he only cares about money.

I mean at least he separated the in the end after all of the deaths. But I am in no way protecting him! I hate that he didn't listen to the minority.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#30 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 24 2021 - 4:11 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

His ant love is dissipating! Oh no!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#31 Offline Chickalo - Posted October 25 2021 - 5:51 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

The viewers might be acting on some Online Disinhibition effect ngl, I mean, what sane person would tell their friend (irl mind you) that they are going to watch families of animals fight to the death.  Also, somewhere it's been said that previous votes can affect a revote of said person, almost like imaginary peer pressure.  If the majority says yes, it's likely that said person will also say yes, even if their initial thought was no, which, as you can probably imagine, can turn into a snowball effect.

Edited by Chickalo, October 25 2021 - 5:51 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#32 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 25 2021 - 6:09 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

The viewers might be acting on some Online Disinhibition effect ngl, I mean, what sane person would tell their friend (irl mind you) that they are going to watch families of animals fight to the death.  Also, somewhere it's been said that previous votes can affect a revote of said person, almost like imaginary peer pressure.  If the majority says yes, it's likely that said person will also say yes, even if their initial thought was no, which, as you can probably imagine, can turn into a snowball effect.

Well, I see. I guess the 90% of the viewers just chooses the one with the most votes and don't care about anything.

• Chickalo and ANTS_KL like this

#33 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 25 2021 - 5:22 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

As AntKeeper01 pointed out, there's a literal 8:1 ration of yes to no. Though that's a good point to it showing an outcome, Mmcguffi, there's still a week for children to combine their beloved colonies.  Futurebird said to ignore him, which is good enough for the more intermediate-experienced group (usually 13+) because they will learn that the majority of the community agrees; AntsCanada isn't the best source.  The others may or may not have access to that knowledge.  Nobody really points it out on YouTube, and it's not like they've found other social's to look at ants on.

I just read this post and I agree. However I feel that if the people really liked ants, they would know better and do research before doing these things. I know for a fact that people under 13 (including me) can research about something if they really like it. Heck, there's even a 10 year old that breeds and sells mantids by himself! If AntsCanada still had any real ant loving fans they would 100% go ahead and try to stop him, but no. All I see in the comment section are ignorant kids that don't care about the ants at all, they just want entertainment, and they can and will disregard anyone's opinions to get what they want. If only they understood that ants have lives too...

• DDD101DDD, TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#34 Offline PaigeX - Posted October 26 2021 - 12:24 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I have only just started to keep ants this month But with the research I've already done I've seen that normally only the smaller ant kinds ever have multiple queens and its rare for the larger kind to have more than one queen. My first thought on that ep of his videos was just that. And also because they were larger and not raised together to start off, I would think they won't merge into one but instead do what they did. I'm just your average person that has done some research, and if I could come to that conclusion so easy why can't a many years ant keeper do the same. I've also been watching AC for a few years every now and then and have hated how his videos have gotten "climaxed" and the way he speaks has changed. I love his old videos with his normal voice and general love for the ants.

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo and NancyZamora4991 like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#35 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 26 2021 - 1:15 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I have only just started to keep ants this month But with the research I've already done I've seen that normally only the smaller ant kinds ever have multiple queens and its rare for the larger kind to have more than one queen. My first thought on that ep of his videos was just that. And also because they were larger and not raised together to start off, I would think they won't merge into one but instead do what they did. I'm just your average person that has done some research, and if I could come to that conclusion so easy why can't a many years ant keeper do the same. I've also been watching AC for a few years every now and then and have hated how his videos have gotten "climaxed" and the way he speaks has changed. I love his old videos with his normal voice and general love for the ants.

I don't think size actually affects whether or not the species is polygynous, but being small seems to be common in polygynous ants. At least the species that I know of.

Edited by Kaelwizard, October 26 2021 - 1:16 PM.

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo and PaigeX like this

#36 Offline FSTP - Posted October 27 2021 - 2:28 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Ant love apparently doesn't last forever....

• Canadian anter, Manitobant, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#37 Offline ExponentMars - Posted October 27 2021 - 9:21 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

He's a full time "YouTuber" and to some degree I blame the general structure of YouTube for this. It pushes everything in the most crass possible direction.  (It's also why all of his videos are just nonstop "and you'll NEVER guess what happens NEXT" making a story that could take 3 min take 15... You gotta fill out the length. )

His primary audience are children.  Many of whom are probably curious about ants and want to try keeping them, but it takes creativity and time to make content that holds attention and violence is an easy out. I could already see this was inevitable with the whole focus on fire ants, ants biting his hand, giving ants HUGE food that makes for general gore and gross out shots.

The thing is, it IS possible to make content that is super popular without literally resorting to bread, circuses and gladiator pits. Look at "Snake Discovery" or if you want to see insects fight Ants Kingdom Asia films them in the wild and narrates the whole thing and each video is better than the last. Heck, I have an "ant war" video of pavement ants... I don't see the point of doing this with pets. It's so easy to observe in the wild. And you learn more since you aren't forcing something to happen. 

Personally, I'm still learning video editing and camera work, and I don't know if many people will ever be into my "aren't ants cute and relaxing to watch" stuff ... but it's nice that a few people seem to like it.

So, maybe, rather than just being disappointed that AC didn't grow into a different kind of creator, one with more focus on education, and really sharing and growing the hobby we could also just mention some of the creators we do like. 

Ant Lab

Nordic Ants

Ants Australia 

Aesthetic Ants 

Horace Zeng

There are so many!

But, I would be lying if I didn't admit that this makes me a little sad. I remember when the channel was small with no production values and just being caught up in how much this guy loved ants and how much he wanted to share that with others. I thought: "wow, he's just like me!"

Really, I think it's best to just ignore him. He's not the worst person on youTube, a site with all kinds of bad content and exploiters. But he is very disappointing. I wanted to be a part of the kind of audience he wanted. I still wish I could think "wow he's just like me and loves ants so much" But, these videos just aren't for us... not anymore than "Finger Family" or unboxing channels that try to make kids want to buy toys are. He's just another junk TV producer trying to keep the eyeballs in place. Not a job I envy. Not a job I want. 

YEAH! Ants Australia is a great youtube channel, although the youtuber posts very inconsistently. Each video is insanely high-quality and educational though, so I'm not complaining. also Aesthetic Ants. Y'all should really check those channels out ngl

• ANTS_KL likes this
Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#38 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 27 2021 - 12:05 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I don't think size actually affects whether or not the species is polygynous, but being small seems to be common in polygynous ants. At least the species that I know of.

I don't think so either. But it does seem like only most small ants are polygynous. Maybe to make up for their queens being more short lived?

#39 Offline ExponentMars - Posted October 27 2021 - 3:35 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Yeah. It's too bad. Also, when people who don't know much about ants find out I have colonies they are like "oh have you heard of Ants Canada?" and I just give this awkward smile/grimace and try to change the subject because I know what a weirdo I'll sound like if I start ranting about the guy... and I am nearly always ready to rant about the guy. 

I'm going to just let go of my disappointment. And be happy about how much fun I'm having with the colony. It's silly to be an adult mad about a gross out channel for kids that's cruel to pet insects and doesn't teach respect. Our whole culture is like that. He's just a mirror. Instead I'll share ant keeping with my students in an afterschool club. (I'm a math teacher but I help with science clubs.)

ikr. My friends keep talking about AC when I mention my ant colonies. I'm glad my younger cousin prefers my ants over his :)
Honestly I wish AC would go back to the old him. The time when he was just a regular person. Nowadays I just watch other ant keeping youtubers. Actually its a shame nordic ants isn't uploading much. I love his vids.

sheesh my fav ant youtuber NEVER posts. Ants Aus posts like, once a YEAR XD 

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo, ANTS_KL and 1 other like this
Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#40 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 27 2021 - 3:58 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

sheesh my fav ant youtuber NEVER posts. Ants Aus posts like, once a YEAR XD 

Its a shame tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users