• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A new low for AC?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ExponentMars - Posted October 27 2021 - 6:36 PM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I have only just started to keep ants this month But with the research I've already done I've seen that normally only the smaller ant kinds ever have multiple queens and its rare for the larger kind to have more than one queen. My first thought on that ep of his videos was just that. And also because they were larger and not raised together to start off, I would think they won't merge into one but instead do what they did. I'm just your average person that has done some research, and if I could come to that conclusion so easy why can't a many years ant keeper do the same. I've also been watching AC for a few years every now and then and have hated how his videos have gotten "climaxed" and the way he speaks has changed. I love his old videos with his normal voice and general love for the ants.

I don't think size actually affects whether or not the species is polygynous, but being small seems to be common in polygynous ants. At least the species that I know of.

There are polygynous harvester ants here in Southern California, and they are pretty big ants. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this
Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#42 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 27 2021 - 6:46 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I have only just started to keep ants this month But with the research I've already done I've seen that normally only the smaller ant kinds ever have multiple queens and its rare for the larger kind to have more than one queen. My first thought on that ep of his videos was just that. And also because they were larger and not raised together to start off, I would think they won't merge into one but instead do what they did. I'm just your average person that has done some research, and if I could come to that conclusion so easy why can't a many years ant keeper do the same. I've also been watching AC for a few years every now and then and have hated how his videos have gotten "climaxed" and the way he speaks has changed. I love his old videos with his normal voice and general love for the ants.

I don't think size actually affects whether or not the species is polygynous, but being small seems to be common in polygynous ants. At least the species that I know of.

There are polygynous harvester ants here in Southern California, and they are pretty big ants. 

Camponotus vicinus in some populations are poly

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#43 Offline Chickalo - Posted October 28 2021 - 4:21 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Somebody thought I was scrolling through a forum about plumbing and electricity or whatever, taken out of ant context, "A new low for AC?" sounds like it's about a new, colder setting for air conditioners lol

• dspdrew, FSTP and Leptomyrmx like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#44 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 28 2021 - 4:27 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yeah. It's too bad. Also, when people who don't know much about ants find out I have colonies they are like "oh have you heard of Ants Canada?" and I just give this awkward smile/grimace and try to change the subject because I know what a weirdo I'll sound like if I start ranting about the guy... and I am nearly always ready to rant about the guy. 

And that's not so great is it?

I'm going to just let go of my disappointment. And be happy about how much fun I'm having with the colony. It's silly to be an adult mad about a gross out channel for kids that's cruel to pet insects and doesn't teach respect. Our whole culture is like that. He's just a mirror. Instead I'll share ant keeping with my students in an afterschool club. (I'm a math teacher but I help with science clubs.)

ikr. My friends keep talking about AC when I mention my ant colonies. I'm glad my younger cousin prefers my ants over his :)
Honestly I wish AC would go back to the old him. The time when he was just a regular person. Nowadays I just watch other ant keeping youtubers. Actually its a shame nordic ants isn't uploading much. I love his vids.

sheesh my fav ant youtuber NEVER posts. Ants Aus posts like, once a YEAR XD 

He claims he's going to post a Myrmecia nigriscapa documentary soon but it's been like a month and still no video and I'm still waiting for him to upload. :boredom:

• Chickalo and ANTS_KL like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#45 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 28 2021 - 8:56 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I mean, I can think of several threads -- even recent ones -- where essentially the same things is attempted with the premise of experimenting

At the end of the day, this video still educates people on how ants can and cannot form super-colonies along with beautifully shot video. The aesthetics of the narration and writing are not to my taste, but clearly these videos have a wide audience

Just wanted to say that I agree and point out that not only have our members combined colonies, but they did so with different species. At least AC is using one species.
  • Chickalo and ANTS_KL like this

#46 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 28 2021 - 2:51 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I mean, I can think of several threads -- even recent ones -- where essentially the same things is attempted with the premise of experimenting

At the end of the day, this video still educates people on how ants can and cannot form super-colonies along with beautifully shot video. The aesthetics of the narration and writing are not to my taste, but clearly these videos have a wide audience

Just wanted to say that I agree and point out that not only have our members combined colonies, but they did so with different species. At least AC is using one species.

The main problem is that although he tries to educate people, the younger audience may not understand the lesson behind the video. Also his fanbase is kinda toxic no cap.

• FSTP, Kaelwizard and Chickalo like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#47 Offline PaigeX - Posted October 31 2021 - 6:36 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I don't think so either. But it does seem like only most small ants are polygynous. Maybe to make up for their queens being more short lived?

I didn't mean the size was why, i just saw that the smaller the ant kind the more likely it was to be polygynous. And I do think your right on the short lived part. 

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#48 Offline Idontexist - Posted November 14 2021 - 7:55 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I kinda got upset when he posted those. Though i think ant wars are cool
I kinda got upset when he posted those. Though i think ant wars are cool

#49 Offline Ecthelion - Posted November 15 2021 - 2:00 AM

Ecthelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Somebody thought I was scrolling through a forum about plumbing and electricity or whatever, taken out of ant context, "A new low for AC?" sounds like it's about a new, colder setting for air conditioners lol

Yea I thought this too lol.  The annoying thing is most of my friends watch antscanada because I told them I keep ants, and they don't really know much about ants at all, so they think he's great and all. Most new antkeepers start out by watching his videos, and once they start doing some more research they realize he is not a particularly good keeper.

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#50 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted November 15 2021 - 4:24 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Ant love apparently doesn't last forever....

That’s sounds like something out of a soap opera :*(
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users