• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Taxonomers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 1 2017 - 3:53 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

http://www.taxonomers.com/

Did everyone see this?  Looks like a pretty nice start to a mapping service for a Myrmecologist!

Here is a copy of the announcement post with some details... https://www.gamergat...ent-3234472675 

Located at www.taxonomers.com the website offer ant keepers a unique opportunity to record sightings of ant species they've come across. Not only that, users are invited to share photos of ants they are unable to identify. Using the location and other information they upload, other users will be able to help identify the ants for them.

Taxonomers also features a unique voting system that allows users to vote on identifications offered by other users. If an entry has enough votes it can actually change the identification given for that particular sighting. The total amount of up votes a user receives for their identifications is shown next to their username in brackets, ie. (24).

Clicking on the custom ant icons reveals the voting system employed by Taxonomers.

Users are also able to vote on the location a user has uploaded. If you know a particular type of ant species isn't found in an area the user has selected then politely down vote the location to let others know that it may not be accurate. 

We also allow users to like a particular entry or photo. Not only does this give some props to the user who uploaded the image, but will also initiate a notification system that will let you know if someone else identifies the ant or adds a comment.

A sophisticated weather API has been included. Clicking on one of the unique ant icons and then clicking the weather icon in the lower right corner will reveal the weather the day the user has collected their queen or made the sighting. Showing 5 days in total, two before and two after the date chosen. This will help other users identify weather patterns surrounding nuptial flights or foraging behaviuors.

Specific weather conditions are shown to the user after clicking on the weather icon.

The map page features two filters. The first is a date filter. Allowing the user to display sightings between certain dates will assist the user to look for sightings found during a specific time frame. Perhaps isolating a particular month to look for queens found in their area during the dates selected. 

The other filter is the genus filter. Looking for a specific genus of ant? Hit the blue ant icon in the top left of the screen and a menu will reveal a list of genera available to the user. Filtering in this way will enable the user to selectively find the type of ant they desire in a particular area. Coupled together with the date filter, a user can essentially single out a specific genus of ant during a specific time frame in a specific location. 

Filtering by genera is an effective way of isolating the species you are interested in.

Clicking on an uploaded image will reveal more details. It's here that users can suggest a identification or offer a different one. Again users can vote, up or down, for other identifications made by other users. Users are also encouraged to comment on a particular entry if they require further information when trying to help others identify the ant, and it's on this page that they are able to.

Vote, like, comment and offer identification suggestions all from this page.

During testing we found that users were using the site to do unexpected things such as plotting sightings of the invasive Solenopsis invicta in their local area and establishing a timeline.

Edited by MikeMc, April 1 2017 - 4:34 AM.

• drtrmiller and TestSubjectOne like this

Prenolepis imparis:  founding queens x15 | Journal

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 1 2017 - 4:11 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Looks like it can be abused or misinformed. Apparently someone found Polyrhachis in Vermont. 

#3 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 1 2017 - 4:32 AM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio

I know very little about the site or service, however the appears to be a downvote/report system. I think anything that has open community submissions will have to be policed to an extent.

Here's a link to the post that explains more about it... https://www.gamergat...omers-goes-live.

Edited by MikeMc, April 1 2017 - 4:35 AM.

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted April 1 2017 - 4:50 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

One thing I found was a collection for an "unknown ant" in Melbourne, Australia. The thing is, it looks just like Solenopsis invicta.

Turns out it's Pheidole. :facepalm:

Edited by Martialis, April 1 2017 - 8:54 AM.

Spoiler

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted April 1 2017 - 8:51 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Hmmmm... it dies have flaws. Hopefully Gamergate can cover it.
  • Martialis and MikeMc like this

YJK

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 1 2017 - 12:23 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Now that I've signed up this is really cool and useful.

• Bcam43 and MikeMc like this

#7 Offline MikeMc - Posted April 1 2017 - 1:07 PM

MikeMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOhio
I think it will be nice!

#8 Offline Bcam43 - Posted April 1 2017 - 11:53 PM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hi guys,

Thank you MikeMc for sharing our link. We're really happy with the reception Taxonomers has received after it's first day and we appreciate you spreading the word!

I'd like to address some of the issue listed above. The polyrhachis sighting in Vermont was a post that was part of our beta testing, and was locating in the wrong position. This bug was discovered and solved prior to launch, however the sighting remained on the map in error.

Further to this though, all users can report inappropriate material by clicking the "!" in the top right corner of the image pop up. Our admins will then either delete the post or contact the user responsible and get further clarification. Alternatively, if you don't agree with the sighting or identification then you can offer your own suggestion and downvote others. Users have a recorded raking next to their name represented by a number. Each time a user has one of their identifications upvoted they will gain +1 and -1 for downvotes. Therefore users with higher ranking are expected to offer a more experienced identification. 

Please also keep in mind that this is V1. We're working hard on the next update already. This includes things like an improved notification system, the option to nominate the entry as a queen/colony/worker, etc. As more data becomes available we'll be making stats, reports, heat maps, and other ways of filtering and sorting the entries. 

A dedicated app is in the works that will have some unique GPS features also.

We hope you guys find it useful.

Edited by Bcam43, April 2 2017 - 12:05 AM.

• drtrmiller, LC3, Nathant2131 and 1 other like this

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2017 - 3:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks like it can be abused or misinformed. Apparently someone found Polyrhachis in Vermont. 

That's why I wasn't ecstatic about it. I had a Google map that I was updating myself for a year or two when I first got into ants and I never gave anyone else access to add anything to it themselves for that exact reason. As long as the admin keeps up on policing the site, which I think will be a lot of work, it will remain a really nice resource. I just don't know how long someone will want to continue with all that work.

• LC3, Martialis and Nathant2131 like this

#10 Offline Bcam43 - Posted April 2 2017 - 6:06 AM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

That's why I wasn't ecstatic about it. I had a Google map that I was updating myself for a year or two when I first got into ants and I never gave anyone else access to add anything to it themselves for that exact reason. As long as the admin keeps up on policing the site, which I think will be a lot of work, it will remain a really nice resource. I just don't know how long someone will want to continue with all that work.

Just like a forum and the required administration, Taxonomers will be monitored daily by administrators for entries that are inappropriate. As the site grows so will the number of administrators, distributing the heavy workload. 

• dspdrew, LC3 and MikeMc like this

#11 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 24 2021 - 4:04 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Does anyone know what happened to the website? I can't create an account.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 24 2021 - 5:15 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

first of all, this is a 4 year old thread, and second of all, i told you before (at least i think) that he moved to ant keeping depot.

#13 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 24 2021 - 6:39 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

first of all, this is a 4 year old thread, and second of all, i told you before (at least i think) that he moved to ant keeping depot.

First of all, I didn't want to make a new thread about the same topic, and second of all, I'm asking about this website, not the shop.

>:T

Anyway, even if he did move to AKD, the website should still be working.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 24 2021 - 6:56 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

First of all, I didn't want to make a new thread about the same topic, and second of all, I'm asking about this website, not the shop.
If it’s four years old you might as well.
  • Manitobant likes this

#15 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 24 2021 - 7:21 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

i mean i think he completely took down his site (or is no longer updating it) once he moved to AKD.

#16 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 24 2021 - 7:30 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

There's nothing wrong with posting on a "dead" thread unless you're filling it with nonsense or it was clear that it was one of those threads.

• TestSubjectOne and ReignofRage like this

#17 Offline TestSubjectOne - Posted September 24 2021 - 8:48 PM

TestSubjectOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

There's nothing wrong with posting on a "dead" thread unless you're filling it with nonsense or it was clear that it was one of those threads.

Agreed. A forum thread isn't a loaf of bread; it can't go stale. In this case, using a "dead" thread was certainly the most effective thing to do because it provides context for the majority of people reading the question.

TestSubjectOne's Experiences in Antkeeping General Journal

Currently Keeping:

- Veromessor pergandei (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Novomessor cockerelli (1 queen, 200 workers)

- Myrmecocystus mexicanus (1 queen, 100 workers)

- Brachymyrmex patagonicus (3 queens?, 2,000 workers? & alates)

- Crematogaster sp. (1 queen, 600 workers)

- Liometopum occidentale (1 queen, 800 workers)

- Camponotus absqualator (1 queen, 130 workers)

#18 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 24 2021 - 10:33 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

This is now the 'dead forum' debate. Ok, so from what I gather, he stopped updating taxonomers and it broke or something.

My Ants:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users