• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Rough Harvester Ant (Pogonomyrmex rugosus)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:31 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

:blush:

Edited by TroyMusil7, August 15 2021 - 8:31 AM.

#22 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:33 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

You guys love just throwing opinions out there without reading. It is a dumb habit, case in point is my DAY 5 update where I CLEARLY say this is too big but will be her home until the first workers arrive. I think I will just delete my post and keep my logs to myself. Thought it would be fun to share but if this site is filled with idiots then I am already over it. 

I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear in my post. I suggest you move the queen (back, if i’m not wrong) to a test tube, at least until workers arrive.

We’re just trying to help. If you are not willing to listen and at least respond in a courteous manner, I for one am not going to take the time to try to assist you.

Good luck with your queen.

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, August 14 2021 - 6:38 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Somethinghmm, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

My YouTube channel :)

#23 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:34 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

:mad:

Edited by TroyMusil7, August 15 2021 - 8:31 AM.

#24 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:34 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Holy [censored] you are DUMB. Such a persistent loser, get a life and leave me alone. 

I'm give you actual advice for once and you are calling me dumb, a loser and telling me to GET A LIFE :mad:

• Ecan likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#25 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:36 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

Time will tell  :D

Edited by TroyMusil7, August 15 2021 - 8:32 AM.

#26 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:38 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

i think it may die slowly from the fungus but SWIRLY WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU AND YOU CALLED THEM THICK HEADED THE ONLY THICK HEADED PERSON HERE IS ME

• Swirlysnowflake, Ecan, KadinB and 1 other like this

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#27 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:40 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

(n)

#28 Offline mmcguffi - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:43 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Holy [censored] you are DUMB. Such a persistent loser, get a life and leave me alone.

Wow, this person has given you quality advice and you act incredibly rude. +1 to giving them a bit of sand or gravel, Pogonomyrmex do much better with substrate. Like others have stated, the foundress would likely do better in a test tube setup for the next many months, but it’s not a death sentence putting them in the AC hybrid. I’m not sure if you can heat these nests since they are plastic, but Pogonomyrmex do better with a bit of heat, even up to 100F
  • Antkeeper01 and Ecan like this

#29 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:43 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

You guys love just throwing opinions out there without reading. It is a dumb habit, case in point is my DAY 5 update where I CLEARLY say this is too big but will be her home until the first workers arrive. I think I will just delete my post and keep my logs to myself. Thought it would be fun to share but if this site is filled with idiots then I am already over it. 

I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear in my post. I suggest you move the queen (back, if i’m not wrong) to a test tube, at least until workers arrive.

We’re just trying to help. If you are not willing to listen and at least respond in a courteous manner, I for one am not going to take the time to assist you.

Further more that is dumb because you are commenting about my listening, talking about being courteous all while not listening me in the first place. 

i think it may die slowly from the fungus but SWIRLY WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU AND YOU CALLED THEM THICK HEADED THE ONLY THICK HEADED PERSON HERE IS ME

You are just as thick headed. [censored] off loser. 

THEY ARENT THICK HEADED THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO HELP A BEGINNER

• Swirlysnowflake and Ecan like this

#30 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:44 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

We’re just trying to help. If you are not willing to listen and at least respond in a courteous manner, I for one am not going to take the time to assist you.

Further more that is dumb because you are commenting about my listening, talking about being courteous all while not listening me in the first place. 

My apologies, my comment about being courteous was in reference to you resorting to name-calling and insults. 

I believe I am listening to you. I understand you have purchased the AC nest, but using a cheap and easy to find test tube will be better for your queen. 

Anyways, you seem to resolutely believe everything you’re doing is 100% correct, so I’m going to leave this here. Again, I wish you the best of luck with your queen and any future anting endeavors.

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, August 14 2021 - 6:45 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, Ecan and 1 other like this

My YouTube channel :)

#31 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:50 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

(y)

#32 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:54 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

:lol:

#33 Offline mmcguffi - Posted August 14 2021 - 6:58 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
A final bit of advice if you are open to absorbing it:

Clearly you have done research here. However, everyone can always learn more and this is a major reason why people post their journals. Some very helpful advice was given in this thread and you seem to have taken it /very/ personally. Learning is fun and it’s a huge reason I am personally attracted to this hobby. You would be well-suited absorbing some knowledge from people who have more experience and are more knowledgable than you — humility is a powerful thing. Overall, your queen may be fine the way you currently have it. Good luck with your endeavors
  • Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01 and Ecan like this

#34 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 7:01 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

:mad:

Edited by TroyMusil7, August 15 2021 - 8:33 AM.

#35 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 14 2021 - 7:06 PM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

:rolleyes:  

#36 Offline KadinB - Posted August 14 2021 - 11:01 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Tbh they were trying to just help you out and give you some advise. I would listen to them. The nest is to big for a single Pogonomyrmex queen. The nest also isn't really suited for her sp. She would do better in a test tube with some sand and seeds or a tubs and tubes setup with sand. I do tubs and tubes setup with sand in it and it works perfect for all my Pogonomyrmex.

• Antkeeper01, Ecan and FelixTheAnter like this

#37 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted August 14 2021 - 11:01 PM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

I hope your colony dies. You have not listened to very experienced ant keepers trying to help with many suggestions because your queen is clearly in bad condition. She should not have that much space yet you insist on stressing that poor thing out. You should put them out of their misery or sell them to someone who will actually take care of them. I could care less what you say about this post.

• Antkeeper01, Ecan, AntBoi3030 and 2 others like this

#38 Offline FSTP - Posted August 15 2021 - 1:55 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Putting lone queens in a large full formicarium is never a good idea, especially Pogonomyrmex rugosus . If you really did do your research you would know this. Pogonomyrmex (especially this species) tend to found easier in a dirt setup. She would have done better in the AC ant tower if you were absolutely adamant about using AC products. Though most serious ant keepers stay away from AntsCanada products. They're seen more as Children's toys. The advice and suggestions given through out this thread are sound and your reaction is very immature. Having said that all  I do hope your queen thrives and manages to start a colony. I don't like seeing anyone's queens die. 

Edited by FSTP, August 15 2021 - 1:58 AM.

• Zeiss, TennesseeAnts, Somethinghmm and 2 others like this

#39 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted August 15 2021 - 2:14 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
My goodness, where are the mods? I'm new-ish to the forum, but is this behavior really tolerated here? I can't believe the insults and name-calling is really allowed.

For what it's worth, I'm an expert in multiple fields - and if someone, even somebody with minimal experience - offers me advice, I am not going to be rude to them. Even if it's bad advice.

Even the most experienced people, in any field or hobby, are still learning new things on a regular basis. You don't get to be one of the best by rudely shutting down outside opinions.

I'm not sure how old you are, but you are really coming across like a bitter teenager. Please be kinder to people who are just trying to offer friendly advice.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, Ecan and 1 other like this

#40 Offline Guest__006417_* - Posted August 15 2021 - 6:38 AM

Guest__006417_*
  • Guests

:o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users