• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Felix's Lasius Fulignosa journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted August 15 2021 - 1:16 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Lasius Fulignosa is a hyper-parasite - in nature, they are parasites of Lasius Umbratus, which itself is a parasite of Lasius Niger.

I collected about 30 L. Umbratus queens at the same time as this L. Fulignosa queen - but didn't have any Umbratus brood to give her. I read some people had success with L. Niger brood, so that is what I gave her. I started her off with a ton of pupae from my own L. Niger colony, along with a few callows. She took to them all right away.

VideoCapture_20210719-110349.jpg
VideoCapture_20210815-104352.jpg

Approximately 2 weeks later, most of the pupae are now workers, and the queen had an egg stuck to her abdomen and maybe 4 or 5 more being tended to by workers.

VideoCapture_20210815-102922.jpg

I was extremely surprised to look in her tube today, 6 days after the last photos, and see a huge number of eggs!

20210815_094338.jpg

Her gaster is so fat, too. Clearly the workers are doing great so far.

I have read some people have problems with L. Niger hosts killing off the first L. Fulignosa workers. I may start plucking the L. Niger from the outworld as soon as I see L. Fulignosa workers eclosing. If this still fails, I should have plenty of L. Umbratus brood to give her within a few weeks. Fingers crossed.
  • AntBoi3030 likes this

#2 Offline Fatatoille - Posted August 15 2021 - 3:01 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)
Love this species, fuliginosus get pretty large colony sizes so it will be cool to see how physogastic that queen will get.

Prawn and Mayo sandwiches taste nice.

#3 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted August 15 2021 - 5:13 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users