• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Caught 22 Pheidole queens, not a single egg after over 3 weeks

pheidole

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 22 2021 - 8:01 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
I found a bunch of strange looking Pheidole queens near the beginning of July, and have kept them in several conditions to see if they would lay eggs. I just got back from a week of vacation, and still, not a single queen has laid an egg. I’m starting to wonder if they have some sort of parasite or special condition that I’m just not realizing? I’ve been keeping them with my other Pheidole species, who are doing great, but these queens just refuse to lay eggs. The odds of 22 queens all being unfertilized are low, but never 0, so that may be a possibility. Here’s a link to the ID thread with photos: https://www.formicul...-better-photos/

Any input to what’s going on?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Spoiler

#2 Offline Max_Connor - Posted July 22 2021 - 8:53 PM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Considering you caught so many queens, you probably found them in one location and they all had left the same nest which was flying those days.

If they all have wings like the ones you pictured, then they might have never mated?

• AntsMaryland, Antkeeper01 and DaAnt like this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 23 2021 - 7:22 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
They might be infertile then, considering the queen you photographed had wings.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users