• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polyacanthus' Temnothorax

temnothorax

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted July 15 2021 - 7:20 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Splitting this off from my original combined journal located here: https://www.formicul...hus-ant-journal. I feel like I have too many species now to make any sense of it.

This queen landed on my knee while I layed on my bed reading the forum on July 4. Must've hitched a ride in the house on the dog! Identified in the ID forum as Temnothorax sp. I've never seen one of these before and barely knew about Temnothorax. But I think I know where it came from, I have seen a colony from time to time of the tiniest orange ants I've ever seen in a sidewalk crack near my back patio.

IMG_20210704_015705480~2_resize_16.jpg

She appeared to have an egg on the 7th, and checking on her tonight it looks like she has 4 eggs. Hoping she is fertile!

IMG_20210715_224007299~2_resize_97.jpg

Edited by Polyacanthus, July 15 2021 - 7:29 PM.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 16 2021 - 2:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck. I think you could have a lot of fun making setups for these ants, plus they wouldn’t take up much space.
  • Polyacanthus likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted July 20 2021 - 7:29 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
She is up to 8 eggs. Is she fertile? Hoping to see larvae soon, it's been almost two weeks since the first egg.

IMG_20210720_223734651~2_resize_38.jpg

#4 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted July 25 2021 - 12:30 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I could be mistaken but I believe she has larvae now. I can't tell with the naked eye so the best view I have is with my macro lens that clips on my phone.

IMG_20210724_111059964~2_resize_78.jpg
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 25 2021 - 4:54 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Definitely larvae. Congrats!

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 26 2021 - 5:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted July 26 2021 - 8:26 AM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Thanks, it looked like it but I couldn't quite tell if it was an optical illusion or not. I got another pic last night that is more definitive:

IMG_20210725_220712919~2_resize_70.jpg

Also, I was washing the car last night just before dusk, and when I reached down to dump my bucket out I saw a Temnothorax queen right there next to the bucket trying to pull her wings off! So I went looking around and found three more queens. I will put them together in another colony.
  • Karma likes this

#8 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:03 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
If I'm not mistaken it looks like we have a pupa already.

IMG_20210806_234208331~2_resize_65.jpg
  • Karma and m99 like this

#9 Offline smares - Posted August 6 2021 - 9:55 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Amazing you spotted this tiny queen!

#10 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted August 7 2021 - 6:52 AM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
She actually landed on my knee! I felt something I assumed was a mosquito so I almost smacked it, but I looked down first and realized it was a tiny queen! First time I had ever seen one.

Edited by Polyacanthus, August 7 2021 - 6:52 AM.

#11 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted August 21 2021 - 8:56 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
She has a worker and 5 larvae. I gave them a dot of sugar water yesterday and a fruit fly today.

IMG_20210821_224559771~2_resize_83.jpg
  • ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

#12 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted April 14 2022 - 7:29 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Sadly, she didn't make it. Last fall she had a couple workers who died before winter, and she didn't make it through diapause. There are mites in there, I assume from the fruit fly. I'll have to be more careful. At least I know they're around here and I'll hunt for more this year.
  • ANTS_KL likes this

#13 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 14 2022 - 9:28 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Sadly, she didn't make it. Last fall she had a couple workers who died before winter, and she didn't make it through diapause. There are mites in there, I assume from the fruit fly. I'll have to be more careful. At least I know they're around here and I'll hunt for more this year.

Good luck finding them again. They were so cute...

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 15 2022 - 2:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Put up a blacklight trap, and you’ll find hundreds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: temnothorax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users