• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

bmb1bee's Micro-sized Miscellanies (updated 9/21/23)

journal solenopsis temnothorax pheidole hypoponera

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 21 2023 - 10:25 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

This journal will be just be documenting some miscellaneous small ants I currently own, in no particular grouping of its own other than size.

Current species (9/21/2023):

Solenopsis 'molesta-group' sp.

Temnothorax cf. andrei

Pheidole cf. yaqui

Hypoponera sp.

Past species:

Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Cardiocondyla cf. mauritanica

Monomorium ergatogyna

Pheidole navigans

Pheidole 'pilifera-group' sp.

Edited by bmb1bee, September 23 2023 - 10:18 AM.

• 100lols likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 21 2023 - 10:27 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Solenopsis 'molesta-group' sp. (9/21/23):

I received a colony of these with 3 queens and a few workers from a trade with a friend back when I got my Camponotus sayi colony. These tiny ants seem to really like crushed seeds and fish flakes, as do most of my other myrmecines. Unfortunately, one of the queens killed off the other two. Turns out that this type is only temporarily pleometrotic and not polygynous. Regardless, they have a decent amount of brood and at least a couple dozen workers.

IMG_0783.jpg

Edited by bmb1bee, September 22 2023 - 7:38 AM.

• 100lols likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 21 2023 - 10:35 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Temnothorax cf. andrei (9/21/23):

This queen I got from M14Mason in a trade. At first we thought it was just a Solenopsis molesta queen, but I noticed a couple small differences like the shape of the thorax and how large the pupa was compared to actual S. molesta pupae. I'm guessing T. andrei as a species due to coloration and range. Despite me heating her, she just has a pupa, a big larva, and some smaller larvae and eggs. Seems like Temnothorax as a genus don't grow too fast. Regardless, these look like a pretty cute and interesting species to try out...

IMG_0722.jpg

Edited by bmb1bee, September 22 2023 - 7:38 AM.

• 100lols likes this

#4 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 21 2023 - 10:41 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Pheidole cf. yaqui (9/21/23):

I got two of these queens from 100lols here on Formiculture for a trade. They both have a large amount of brood, which is pretty good for Pheidole. Each queen is around 6.5 mm in length, which make it the largest species in this list of small ants. These were much bigger than the Pheidole californica queens that I'd owned in the past, so they were definitely some other kind of Pheidole 'pilifera-group' species. ReignofRage guessed that they were likely P. yaqui, but I'll have to wait until workers to completely verify the species. 

IMG_0762.jpg

Edited by bmb1bee, September 22 2023 - 7:36 AM.

• ANTdrew, AntsCali098 and 100lols like this

#5 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 21 2023 - 10:50 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Hypoponera sp. (9/21/23):

I dug up a small colony of Hypoponera around last week in San Jose. These were under a large redwood tree for some reason, just nesting under a rock in the damp soil by the roots. I didn't get any brood, which makes me believe there is more to the colony. I dug up 3 ergatoid queens and a few dozen workers from the same tree before summer, but those desiccated unfortunately. They're still here though so there may be more ergatoid queens. I believe I may have found one due to its size, but that might not be the case since I don't see any eggs. I'll be moving them to a proper petri dish setup later on. This colony has a total of a couple dozen workers and loves to eat small, soft insects.

IMG_0666.jpg

Edited by bmb1bee, September 21 2023 - 10:52 PM.

• 100lols likes this

#6 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 21 2023 - 10:54 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
That wraps up my short entries for these 4 species. Hopefully I can add more to this list sometime…

Edited by bmb1bee, September 22 2023 - 5:27 AM.

• 100lols likes this

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted September 22 2023 - 12:02 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
This should be fun! Definitely going to be workers soon in the Pheidole colony :D

#8 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 22 2023 - 5:26 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
By the way, if anyone notices any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes, it’s just because I was on the brink of falling asleep while making this journal lmao… I’ll do my best to edit them, so feel free to point any errors out.

#9 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 23 2023 - 10:51 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Temnothorax cf. andrei (9/23/23):

Just a minor update, but the single pupa just eclosed! This queen now has one callow nanitic, which is about twice the size of a Solenopsis molesta worker. There is also one big larva and two eggs.

IMG_0806.jpg

• Karma, Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#10 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 23 2023 - 10:54 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Pheidole cf. yaqui (9/23/23):

Another minor update; these Pheidole also got their first workers! It feels pretty accomplishing to have two different species get their workers on the very same day, even though I'm not the one that was taking care of the brood lmao.

IMG_0801.jpg

• ANTdrew, antsriondel, Ernteameise and 1 other like this

#11 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 24 2023 - 10:49 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationGermany

OMG these newborns are so cute!

• bmb1bee likes this

#12 Offline antsriondel - Posted September 24 2023 - 11:32 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Great job! Love the Pheidole callows!

• bmb1bee likes this

#13 Offline 100lols - Posted September 25 2023 - 1:22 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Ooo! Time to check on my Pheidole queens as well. Awesome pictures :D

#14 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 25 2023 - 1:29 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to try and improve on my pictures. 

• 100lols likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, solenopsis, temnothorax, pheidole, hypoponera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users