• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lemon.Water's Journal (Discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lemon.Water - Posted February 19 2022 - 10:08 AM

Lemon.Water

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Today I'm starting my first Journal which will also include all of my future Journals. Currently my oldest colony is a Crematogaster sp which includes 1 queen and around 200 workers, I caught them during the fall in 2020. Unfortunately during this winter due to my tar heel ants outworld breaking after me putting the lid on I was not able to give them the proper setup and had no adequate housing the colony numbers went from 500 to 100, due to a lack of hydration and difficulty of access and cleaning I had to the thrown together outworld. Today I gave them a good portion of the nest heated and they immediately moved lots of brood, the entire chamber was covered in around 3 minutes with pupae and larvae. I'm hoping to increase the diversity of food provided this year as I'm going to try black lighting for the first time. 

Pictures
47832C7D 6270 4487 ADE1 940899E9D786
7A6642D8 80BE 4C37 B388 A47E7D9AEDB9
EAF3D505 0837 4093 A0A2 BF8D4BD8C4DC

Edited by Lemon.Water, March 14 2023 - 7:05 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline Lemon.Water - Posted February 22 2022 - 4:06 PM

Lemon.Water

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Today I will be introducing my Camponotus colony which I have had for 2 years they have grown pretty fast and are very fun to watch. Its hard to tell how many workers they have but its at least 100. I began to heat them during the beginning of February they are doing quite well and already have their first cocoons this year, as well as a voracious and aggressive feeding response to protein and especially sugars. 

C1B3AB45 59B0 4B13 BC7A 35E9BDD07ACE

EAA9A6EF 4E5D 4D66 978F C2091504C7B3

49A829AD B9EE 48AC A8F3 C7B4DF05AE40

8888AE77 5764 4286 94B4 4805C6CA31AA

Their outworld is a 10 gallon aquarium which has a barren sandy area for feeding divided by a piece of glass into a soil area with some plants, which they do not nest in very much unless the heat mat is near the soil. However it can be interesting to watch them dig but they never use the tunnels except for faster transportation. 

9DFA7BB9 33B2 4622 A48A E135BF14AB47

088E4BAA 2A72 4AFB 972D 57746D914360

I have also made a cork nest I plan to introduce to them soon to allow me to take better pictures from a more above position than side ways, if they use it.

187FB788 55D0 4B45 AA8B 01FC92ECF942

• m99 and antsriondel like this

#3 Offline Lemon.Water - Posted March 5 2022 - 8:50 AM

Lemon.Water

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

All of my colonies are doing very well, I ordered some ants from stateside ants since the Formica subsericea was on sale and the Camponorus pennsylvanicus well as shipping was not expensive. They all arrived well, my order from THA of Myrmecocystus navajo has had some issues that are not the fault of THA but I will be trying mimicus on this next shipping attempt. 

My large Camponotus Colony is doing well as usual with an absolutely massive brood pile, they keep all the brood in the mini hearth for the most part with not many workers inside due to the heat mat being there while the workers live in the test tubes or tunnels near the mini hearth. Their feeding response is always very good and a hundred or so workers stream out of the tunnels when there is food. 

9646335A 5CDB 4D62 8266 DBEA4341A02D

The Crematogaster colony has also been doing very well and can eat more than 4 medium sized mealworms a day leaving the husk of their exoskeleton, they have or are almost the same size as they were before winter and could possibly fill up an entire row of their nest with brood.

FE9F2246 0C64 4E88 9366 C35A7BEA6FAE
B2AAB463 75F3 480C 9F09 AF513320F141
AA630BC7 B7C0 467A B235 4E98EF83189B
CB0A3A03 A2D5 4200 AF94 A8F74B408BAA

Camponotus pennsylvanicus moved right into their nest and have eaten some honey water and seem to be doing well they have a few pupae larvae and eggs and 9 workers. 

52310425 0DC4 42CA B57F F03E67221DEA

Formica neorufibarbis queen laid some eggs.

3ED36558 A7A8 4A5E 9B57 E95F4EDE1506

Formica subsericea won't move into the mini hearth however they seem calm, there are 3 workers and one medium sized larvae. 
17F66832 5C71 418F 9FD9 32691DE3093C

• m99 likes this

#4 Offline Lemon.Water - Posted March 10 2022 - 7:51 AM

Lemon.Water

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I decided to do a small update today because my Crematogaster queen has seemingly become physogastric. They tons of eggs in these large spherical clumps around the nest which look interesting. I’m going to need to upgrade them into something else soon, any suggestions would be appreciated that are affordable. So far I’m thinking about getting one of the large nests from Buckeye myrmecology however since they’re acrylic I worry their formic acid might harm them.

My larger Camponotus colony is growing as usual.

Formica subsericea have finally laid a clump of eggs and eaten a few fruit flies.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus have eaten lots of fruit flies and a few mealworms.

Edited by Lemon.Water, March 10 2022 - 7:53 AM.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2022 - 8:00 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Judging from your photos above, you have plenty of room in that Nucleus. What you’ll need to do is attach a bigger outworld that is very escape proof. You can look in my Crematogaster journal to see how I did this.
  • Lemon.Water likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 10 2022 - 8:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
IMG 9584

Here's what I hooked my Nucleus to. I get these huge display cases off Amazon.

• Temperateants and Lemon.Water like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 10 2022 - 6:14 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here's what I hooked my Nucleus to. I get these huge display cases off Amazon.

Setup flex!

• ANTdrew likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#8 Offline Lemon.Water - Posted March 17 2022 - 3:36 PM

Lemon.Water

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Another update/addition

I’ve been looking for some outworlds from pioneer plastics (recommended by ANTdrew) and they have a lot of good selection so I will definitely be getting some once my Crematogasters get larger numbers.

The additional founding colony I am adding is a 4 queen Prenolepis colony which I caught today during their nuptial flight. It was very nice out today and I had been going to the park almost every day due to it being spring break, three of the queens landed right in front of me still mating as I caught them, while one was found scurrying through the roots. I also found lots of their nests and from one I picked up a few workers with a cotton ball and so far they’re all getting along together with the queens. Really hoping this group does well as they look really interesting.

• ANTdrew and Temperateants like this

#9 Offline Lemon.Water - Posted March 19 2022 - 7:14 AM

Lemon.Water

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

The Myrmecocystus I ordered a few weeks ago has finally arrived after issues with the previous shipments. Instead of navajo, mimicus was shipped to me as it was suggested as a more hardy species that has a better chance of surviving transport. In the last day that I've had them they've eaten lots of honey water and mealworms and some of their gasters are filled up nicely. The queen has very cool colors and there are a few pupae and larvae. 

5F633B00 02C8 4993 BCB6 C550CDAB7E49
C62A28DE C198 4C80 A482 BD77B4569661

My large Camponotus colony continues to grow and has laid a pretty large group of eggs and moved all of their brood closer to the heat mat due to the temperature outside dropping again. The pictures shows half their brood possibly however its hard to tell as they have nests in a few other areas of their tank.

E6199DAA 4A2F 4B74 8F3B 9D1AF72CD3F3

The Crematogasters have been doing well as usual and continue to grow with a very fat queen laying lots of eggs.

9D7032BE 9250 4AEF 8597 010175926317

Camponotus pennsylvanicus are doing pretty well and accept protein almost daily.

5C9BAA4D B047 4530 BDBF 959A37D1287B

Formica subsericea were not doing too good for a bit and ate their pupae and one worker however the queen has laid a batch of eggs which are now small larvae, hopefully they continue to do better. 

• DRpepper likes this

#10 Offline Lemon.Water - Posted April 13 2022 - 3:03 PM

Lemon.Water

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

None of my colonies have changed drastically in the last few weeks but there has been some growth for all of them. 

However my Crematogaster colony chewed through the cotton plug in their outworld and a hundred or so escaped, I was able to get most back in. I sealed the plug with a piece of plastic and blutack

I also caught 2 more Prenolepis imparis 2 weeks ago and i put them together with the other 4 queens and workers, they have a nice batch of eggs and they have all shed their wings. 

Both Camponotus colonies are doing well with a few more workers eclosing and a nice batch of eggs. 

The Formica subsericea are finally doing well and have eclosed another worker with some larvae and more pupae.

The Myremecosystus mimicus have been doing great and are eating lots of protein and honey water. The queen has become huge compared to when i got her and they got their first decently sized replete a few days ago!

A50266FC CB80 4785 9E78 8BF56D83BD08

• ANTdrew, AntBoi3030, United-Ants and 1 other like this

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 13 2022 - 5:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crematogaster will chew through blutack as well. You’ll need a better way to plug that hole.
  • Lemon.Water likes this

#12 Offline DRpepper - Posted April 14 2022 - 10:01 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

loving this journal so far keep it up!

• Lemon.Water likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users