• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Rhea - Really Native To California?

pheidole native california

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted July 1 2021 - 6:44 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Pheidole rhea is one of the coolest species out of one of the coolest genuses. Not only are they trimorphic, but they're also massive, with queens getting to be 16-18 mm long. So it was to my delight and surprise when I looked at AntMaps and saw that it was native to California. But although this made me really excited, something felt off. There were no specific records of them in California, instead the only two sources were from one book, A New Island Biogeography of the Sea of Cortes. This book, as you might tell from the title, is about the biogeography of the Sea of Cortes (Baja California). Now, I have not read this book as I don't have 160 dollars for me to use on such a small thing, but I seriously doubt that it would talk about fauna native to California but not Baja California. And now this leaves me in a pickle on the nativeness of Pheidole rhea. What do you guys think? 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 1 2021 - 6:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

They might be somewhere in Imperial County, if anywhere, were I to guess. But they, like O. clarus, are probably extremely rare in an isolated locality. Anywhere Southern close to the AZ border would be the best bet.

Edited by NickAnter, July 1 2021 - 6:51 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 1 2021 - 6:54 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCalif.

P. rhea is most likley only along the border like Nick said, considering that no hobbiests have seen them it's a low chance. That being said there is possibly small pockets of them, you just have to spend the load of time to actually find them.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 2 2021 - 2:33 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I would have to say that  it is not a species native to California.  With as much time as my father and I and others have spent collecting in the California deserts a species with colonies as large and conspicuous as this one has, it would certainly have been seen by now. Any records of this species in California are almost certainly based on misidentified specimens.

Edited by gcsnelling, July 2 2021 - 2:33 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and 2 others like this

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 2 2021 - 2:58 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I would have to say that  it is not a species native to California.  With as much time as my father and I and others have spent collecting in the California deserts a species with colonies as large and conspicuous as this one has, it would certainly have been seen by now. Any records of this species in California are almost certainly based on misidentified specimens.

There is no records for this species in California to my knowledge. Antmaps.org, for some reason, has it listed as native with no scientific record or even Inaturalist observations.

Edited by ReignofRage, July 2 2021 - 2:59 AM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 2 2021 - 3:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cheeto know!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 2 2021 - 4:27 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

There is no records for this species in California to my knowledge. Antmaps.org, for some reason, has it listed as native with no scientific record or even Inaturalist observations.

There tend to be a lot of records based on mislabeled or misidentified specimens. I would take those with a grain salt.

• Antkeeper01 and ReignofRage like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole, native, california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users