• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SYUTEO's ant journal

ant journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#141 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted September 30 2021 - 11:06 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Give me ur address and I will steal ur iridomyrmex queen
Jkjk lmao
But srsly how tf r u so lucky. I have been searching for 2 months straight with absolutely no luck at all. The only thing I found was a small BCA satellite nest with no queen...
Camponotus and iridomyrmex anceps appearing at my house when. Also send a couple of pics for the Crematogaster queen.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Also I would like to point out that my Crematogaster queen was also injured but survived. She just died bcs of the heat lol.

• Antkeeper01 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#142 Offline SYUTEO - Posted September 30 2021 - 11:24 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

It depends on where you live, that night I stayed in my grandmother's home which has a lot of plantations nearby and there's a nuptial flight happening there and I found that Iridomyrmex queen. I found the Crematogaster and trap jaw queen in a plantation (the trap jaw already had eggs when I found her and I took the eggs with her.) and the Euponera alate just when I was about to go home.

Anyway, if you want to find Iridomyrmex, you should start looking now, they tend to fly in at the end and beginning of the year from late September to mid-March.

The Crematogaster queen is currently still alive and I'll start posting pics soon. She's a large fully black species.

Euponera still has her wings on. Oh and apparently she can climb glass. :o

Edited by SYUTEO, September 30 2021 - 11:32 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#143 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 1 2021 - 2:01 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

It depends on where you live, that night I stayed in my grandmother's home which has a lot of plantations nearby and there's a nuptial flight happening there and I found that Iridomyrmex queen. I found the Crematogaster and trap jaw queen in a plantation (the trap jaw already had eggs when I found her and I took the eggs with her.) and the Euponera alate just when I was about to go home.

Anyway, if you want to find Iridomyrmex, you should start looking now, they tend to fly in at the end and beginning of the year from late September to mid-March.

The Crematogaster queen is currently still alive and I'll start posting pics soon. She's a large fully black species.

All Crematogaster climb glass for me ;-;
Also I live near a huge park

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#144 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 1 2021 - 2:39 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

No no no, I meant the Euponera queen, it's surprising to me as it's the first time seeing a Ponerine ant being able to climb smooth glass.

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#145 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 1 2021 - 3:31 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

No no no, I meant the Euponera queen, it's surprising to me as it's the first time seeing a Ponerine ant being able to climb smooth glass.
Oh it's not unusual

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#146 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 1 2021 - 4:29 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Oh it's not unusual

I thought all Ponerines can't climb glass.

#147 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 2 2021 - 1:40 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here are the pics:

Paratrechina longicornis (BCA), for some reason, they decided to place cotton on the brood.

gallery_6038_2070_33318.jpeg

Odontomachus simillimus

gallery_6038_2070_52558.jpeg

Eupoenra cf sharpi, she still has her wings on unfortunately.

gallery_6038_2070_45292.jpeg

Iridomyrmex anceps, she has already laid eggs! :)

gallery_6038_2070_38563.jpeg

Monomorium monomorium, this colony has a HUGE brood pile.

gallery_6038_2070_36586.jpeg

• smares and Antkeeper01 like this

#148 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 2 2021 - 5:06 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here are the pics:

Paratrechina longicornis (BCA), for some reason, they decided to place cotton on the brood.
Odontomachus simillimus

I want iridomyrmex :( nature is cruel to me

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#149 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 2 2021 - 6:32 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here are the pics:

Odontomachus simillimus

I want iridomyrmex :( nature is cruel to me

Keep believing yourself and look for some at night and maybe try going to different places and eventually you'll find some.

#150 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 3 2021 - 11:17 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

You might not believe it but I caught three more queens last night! But before I tell you more about those queens, there are some updates on the other colonies.

BCA has mites, but luckily these mites ONLY attack P. longicornis brood so hopefully they won't spread to other colonies, I wonder how am I going get these mites off. :thinking:

Tetramorium has 5 workers.

Odontomachus laid more eggs.

Now for the new queens I caught. The first one is an unknown species.

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM (1).jpeg

The second one is a Paratopula sp queen alate.

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM.jpeg

And the last one is a Solenopsis geminata queen. Funny story about this queen, I didn't actually find this queen, an Odontoponera worker found it and I managed to catch it before she can (I fell bad for her though).

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM (2).jpeg

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#151 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 3 2021 - 11:22 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

You might not believe it but I caught three more queens last night! But before I tell you more about those queens, there are some updates on the other colonies.

BCA has mites, but luckily these mites ONLY attack P. longicornis brood so hopefully they won't spread to other colonies, I wonder how am I going get these mites off. :thinking:

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM (1).jpeg
attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM.jpeg
And the last one is a Solenopsis geminata queen. Funny story about this queen, I didn't actually find this queen, an Odontoponera worker found it and I managed to catch it before she can (I fell bad for her though).
attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM (2).jpeg

The unknown is Trichomyrmex destructor. Also why are you so lucky :0

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#152 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 3 2021 - 11:28 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM (1).jpeg
attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM.jpeg
attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-10-04 at 1.38.51 PM (2).jpeg

The unknown is Trichomyrmex destructor. Also why are you so lucky :0

It's probably because you're not looking at the right places, try looking at the park if you can or look for some at lights during the night. It may also because there are many predators during that nuptial flight and they ate all the queens before you can find them. Queens and males also tend to fly at white lights instead of yellow or orange lights from my experience.

#153 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 7 2021 - 8:12 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Odontomachus has her first larva and since I caught her when she already has eggs, it took a shorter amount of time to get larvae.

#154 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 7 2021 - 11:10 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Odontomachus has her first larva and since I caught her when she already has eggs, it took a shorter amount of time to get larvae.

I has trap jaw queen too. Guide me pls. I don't wanna screw up for the 3rd time.

#155 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 8 2021 - 12:25 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I has trap jaw queen too. Guide me pls. I don't wanna screw up for the 3rd time.

Eggs take a full month to hatch, larvae take about one to two weeks to pupate and pupae take two weeks to eclose. If you can, try to feed her everyday with insects that are cut up and are smaller than the queen herself. Also try offering her a variety of insects, they usually don't need any sugars. Also raising them in a test tube is usually easier, an outworld is optional.

Edited by SYUTEO, October 8 2021 - 12:26 AM.

#156 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 8 2021 - 3:48 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Eggs take a full month to hatch, larvae take about one to two weeks to pupate and pupae take two weeks to eclose. If you can, try to feed her everyday with insects that are cut up and are smaller than the queen herself. Also try offering her a variety of insects, they usually don't need any sugars. Also raising them in a test tube is usually easier, an outworld is optional.
What about food every other day? I give fairly large chunks that the queen can finish but ends up really full

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#157 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 8 2021 - 5:06 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

What about food every other day? I give fairly large chunks that the queen can finish but ends up really full

When she only has eggs, you can feed her every 1-3 days but when she has larvae, you need to feed her everyday. Trap jaws in the wild are not used to hunting big prey. Also, every queen has it's own personality and it can depend on location, the queens I found at parks near my house seem to be picky, shy and very unwilling to lay eggs. While the queens I caught at a plantation (which is this one), seems to be braver, not picky and very willing to lay eggs and raise her colony.

Edited by SYUTEO, October 8 2021 - 5:06 AM.

#158 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 8 2021 - 5:22 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

When she only has eggs, you can feed her every 1-3 days but when she has larvae, you need to feed her everyday. Trap jaws in the wild are not used to hunting big prey. Also, every queen has it's own personality and it can depend on location, the queens I found at parks near my house seem to be picky, shy and very unwilling to lay eggs. While the queens I caught at a plantation (which is this one), seems to be braver, not picky and very willing to lay eggs and raise her colony.
Aight gotchu

• SYUTEO likes this

#159 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 10 2021 - 7:38 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

O. simillimus has 3 larvae and all the queens most of the queen ants I caught previously has laid eggs all of them seem to be taking care of their eggs.

• Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and Shazza like this

#160 Offline SYUTEO - Posted October 14 2021 - 2:54 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Paratopula has one confirmed egg! Though she still has her wings on, I hope she founds successfully.

Tetramorium has more workers but their test tube is getting moldy.

Odontomachus has one pupa.

Edited by SYUTEO, October 14 2021 - 2:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users