• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SYUTEO's ant journal

ant journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#181 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 8 2021 - 5:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Sorry but I have to correct you, It's called a ant colony or formicarium. There's a difference an ant colony has a reproductive and a ant farm is just workers.

*an ant colony

Sorry, had to correct you there.

We need to see more journals on these tropical species, I wonder what the founder of this journal could find in a day in a rural forest...

• SYUTEO likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#182 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted November 8 2021 - 7:42 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Pictures:

Paratopula sp, she doesn't like me taking pictures of her and she likes to run around her test tube carrying her eggs whenever she feels vibrations or sees light. Circled is an egg and a larva.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-11-08 at 1.13.03 PM.jpeg

Trichomyrmex destructor, the queen now has workers and next the worker next to her seems to be a major.

gallery_6038_2070_21885.jpeg

Anochetus sp2, she's a dark red Anochetus queen and she already laid two eggs! (not in picture unfortunately) Also good luck finding her in the picture  ;) , she blends in very well.

gallery_6038_2070_26579.jpeg

Mesoponera cf rubra, she hasn't shed her wings or has she laid any eggs yet (neither has the other queen of the same species :( ).

gallery_6038_2070_21946.jpeg

Mesoponera rubra indeed! Good luck! 

• SYUTEO likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#183 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 8 2021 - 8:32 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Sorry but I have to correct you, It's called a ant colony or formicarium. There's a difference an ant colony has a reproductive and a ant farm is just workers.

*an ant colony

We need to see more journals on these tropical species, I wonder what the founder of this journal could find in a day in a rural forest...

Probably either nothing, just a handful or so many I don't have enough space to put them in my ant room (my ant room is literally just a small store room in my house and the only place I can house my ants is on two shelves and the place I take the pictures is also on one of the shelves.).

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#184 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 9 2021 - 4:48 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

*an ant colony

crap I remember typing in the n i probably accidentally deleted it.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#185 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 13 2021 - 6:12 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I caught a new queen ant! I'm not sure what species though, either Euponera sharpi or Ectomomyrmex leeuwenhoeki.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#186 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 15 2021 - 4:25 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I got home and saw that the Anochetus colony now only has 3 pupae. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :( My guess is that there's either a problem with the substrate, I'm under feeding them due to me not being home for 3 days, the queen probably died or had an egg laying break or possibly something else. If you know what may have happened please inform me and tell me what I should do to help them. It's my first time keeping a colony of Anochetus so I don't know much about their care.

The Anochetus queen has one larva.

Both S. geminata queens now have their nanitics.

BCA and Odontoponera died.

I caught two new queens, Tetramorium cf bicarinatum and Camponotus albosparsus.

Paratopula larvae are bigger and should hopefully pupate in the next few days.

• Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and eea like this

#187 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 18 2021 - 1:19 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Found another O. simillimus queen! Hope she lets all of her larvae pupate.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#188 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 21 2021 - 2:35 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I came back home (again) and I have good news and bad news.

The good news:

Paratopula has 1 pupa and it looks like it's a worker.

Unknown ponerine, Tetramorium cf bicarinatum and Camponotus albosparsus queens laid eggs.

Anochetus (queen) has two larvae.

Most other small colonies have more workers.

The bad news:

Anochetus (colony) has no brood except a few eggs, they could have more that they hid away from my view.

Both Mesoponera rubra queens did not shed their wings nor did they lay eggs.

One S. geminata colony has two dead workers.

Tetramorium cf lanuginosum created a chamber in the wet cotton.

Iridomyrmex anceps has less workers than before.

I believe all the deaths is probably due to me not being at home for over a week and their repletes had ran out of food so they all starved, I will start feeding them and hopefully they'll regain all the lost workers.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#189 Offline Idontexist - Posted November 21 2021 - 11:16 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Quick update on the Anochetus queen, she built a small chamber for herself, though she is usually seen foraging in the test tube. Unfortunately no eggs yet, hopefully she will start laying in the next few days. Also, I find that she doesn't eat anything else other than springtails, any suggestions on what to feed her?

Anochetus are known to eat very small prey so I think only springtails will work. Good luck tho! Damn I want em BAD. I found a dead queen once. Eaten by a spider... Killed the spider >:-D I'm still sad... Honestly [censored] spiders

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

Quick update on the Anochetus queen, she built a small chamber for herself, though she is usually seen foraging in the test tube. Unfortunately no eggs yet, hopefully she will start laying in the next few days. Also, I find that she doesn't eat anything else other than springtails, any suggestions on what to feed her?

Anochetus are known to eat very small prey so I think only springtails will work. Good luck tho! Damn I want em BAD. I found a dead queen once. Eaten by a spider... Killed the spider >:-D I'm still sad... Honestly [censored] spiders

#190 Offline legendlife_ants - Posted November 21 2021 - 3:42 PM

legendlife_ants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Does anyone know how to keep trap jaw 
queen ant? I just caught one today.

#191 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted November 21 2021 - 4:34 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I came back home (again) and I have good news and bad news.

The good news:

Paratopula has 1 pupa and it looks like it's a worker.

Unknown ponerine, Tetramorium cf bicarinatum and Camponotus albosparsus queens laid eggs.

Anochetus (queen) has two larvae.

Most other small colonies have more workers.

The bad news:

Anochetus (colony) has no brood except a few eggs, they could have more that they hid away from my view.

Both Mesoponera rubra queens did not shed their wings nor did they lay eggs.

One S. geminata colony has two dead workers.

Tetramorium cf lanuginosum created a chamber in the wet cotton.

Iridomyrmex anceps has less workers than before.

I believe all the deaths is probably due to me not being at home for over a week and their repletes had ran out of food so they all starved, I will start feeding them and hopefully they'll regain all the lost workers.

Good luck! Oecophylla nuptial flights are starting again!! Try and get a queen or 2 and see how it works out!

• SYUTEO and eea like this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#192 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 21 2021 - 5:05 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Does anyone know how to keep trap jaw 
queen ant? I just caught one today.

It depends on the species. Though for sure, all trap jaw ants need high humidity except for desert species. There are many setups for raising a trap jaw ant queen, I find the most popular are test tubes filled with substrate attached or placed in an outworld. You will need to feed her insects everyday, this is to prevent her from eating her own eggs and also to feed the larvae once they hatch. Substrate is a must as the larvae need it to spin a cocoon.

#193 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 22 2021 - 5:37 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here some pictures of some of the queens and colonies.

Solenopsis geminata, this is the second colony I have which has grown a lot.

gallery_6038_2070_34881.jpeg

Tetramorium cf bicarinatum, she broke off her wings and laid eggs (though it is very hard to spot since it's on the cotton).

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-22 at 8.30.48 PM (2).jpeg

Trichomyrmex destructor, they have more workers and you can see a major nest to the queen.

gallery_6038_2070_47391.jpeg

Camponotus albosparsus, she laid pink eggs, just like my C. irritans queen when she started founding.

gallery_6038_2070_39150.jpeg

Unknown Ponerine, this was her when I first caught her back in my grandmother's house (I actually caught her in a plantation, I brought her back to my grandmother's house to take pictures). And also I cropped this photo as she seems very small in the original photo and also so you don't need to find her and zoom in to look at her.

gallery_6038_2070_12592.jpeg

• Antkeeper01 and Idontexist like this

#194 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted November 22 2021 - 5:51 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Tetramorium cf bicarinatum, she broke off her wings and laid eggs (though it is very hard to spot since it's on the cotton).
attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-11-22 at 8.30.48 PM (2).jpeg
Trichomyrmex destructor, they have more workers and you can see a major nest to the queen.
Camponotus albosparsus, she laid pink eggs, just like my C. irritans queen when she started founding.
Unknown Ponerine, this was her when I first caught her back in my grandmother's house (I actually caught her in a plantation, I brought her back to my grandmother's house to take pictures). And also I cropped this photo as she seems very small in the original photo and also so you don't need to find her and zoom in to look at her.

Looks like brachyponera

#195 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 22 2021 - 6:00 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Looks like brachyponera

I also think it could be Brachyponera but how sure are you?

#196 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted November 22 2021 - 6:18 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Looks like brachyponera

I also think it could be Brachyponera but how sure are you?
75% sure. I don't think we have many other ponerines with that body shape

• Antkeeper01 and eea like this

#197 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 22 2021 - 5:18 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Well, there's still Ponera (2 species), Euponera (2 species), and Hypoponera (7 species and 2 subspecies).

Edit: I was going to say Ectomomyrmex but then I realized Ectomomyrmex does not have clubbed antennae.

Edited by SYUTEO, November 24 2021 - 7:15 PM.

• Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and eea like this

#198 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 24 2021 - 7:18 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Tetramorium cf bicarinatum has one larva currently confirmed.

Paratopula now has 2 pupae and she laid one new egg, the pupae should eclose in a few days (hopefully).

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#199 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 27 2021 - 10:01 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Some crazy things happened recently:

The second S. geminata colony somehow managed to get through the cotton and collected some debris into their nest, I managed to get most of the workers back into their test tube.

Crematogaster and Iridomyrmex also somehow managed to get through the cotton but luckily didn't escape.

Three new queens, Polyrhachis cf bicolor x1 dealate (she broke off her wings in the test tube) and Colobopsis sp x2, both alates and they didn't brake off their wings though and one of them keeps flying in the test tube which means she may be infertile or she's just trying to escape by flying.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#200 Offline SYUTEO - Posted November 29 2021 - 5:40 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Both Colobopsis queens broke off their wings and one of them laid an egg! :yahoo:

I also did some reworking on the first post of this journal to keep it neater and easier to navigate through my ants if you want to see what species of ants I have.

• m99 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users