• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SYUTEO's ant journal

ant journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#201 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 4 2021 - 5:54 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

HUGE UPDATE

Lots of updates happened recently but I purposely decided to post it now because I'm rather busy for the past few days because I had school. But anyway, let's get to the updates! :)

Anochetus (colony) has pupae! :yess: I think the reason is because they didn't have much substrate in the old nest (they moved their nest to a different location btw) and possibly also due to humidity. I also added some red sand to their enclosure to fill in the random holes they dug and I guess that also ended up helping the larvae successfully pupate. I might move them to a proper nest some time soon to let the larvae successfully pupate every time.

Anochetus (queen) has one pupa! Here's a pic:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (1).jpeg

Camponotus albosparsus also has pupae!

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.42 PM.jpeg

Both Colobopsis queens laid eggs! :yahoo:

Queen 1:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (5).jpeg

Queen 2, possibly a different species? Or they just look different when physogastric:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (4).jpeg

But what I'm most excited about is that Paratopula has her first worker! :yahoo:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (3).jpeg

Here's a better pic, also what she's holding is a peice of mealworm and if you look closely, there is a larva stuck to it :facepalm:, not sure how it got stuck there or how they're going to get it unstuck but I sure hope it doesn't die:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (2).jpeg

And here's a picture of the new Polyrhachis bicolor queen, no eggs yet though :( :

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM.jpeg

Honestly, this is probably the biggest update post I made, 15 lines of text, 7 pictures, 6 smileys and used 42 minutes to make. (yes I actually counted)

• smares, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#202 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 4 2021 - 8:55 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

HUGE UPDATE

Lots of updates happened recently but I purposely decided to post it now because I'm rather busy for the past few days because I had school. But anyway, let's get to the updates! :)

Anochetus (colony) has pupae! :yess: I think the reason is because they didn't have much substrate in the old nest (they moved their nest to a different location btw) and possibly also due to humidity. I also added some red sand to their enclosure to fill in the random holes they dug and I guess that also ended up helping the larvae successfully pupate. I might move them to a proper nest some time soon to let the larvae successfully pupate every time.

Anochetus (queen) has one pupa! Here's a pic:

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (1).jpeg

Camponotus albosparsus also has pupae!

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.42 PM.jpeg

Both Colobopsis queens laid eggs! :yahoo:

Queen 1:

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (5).jpeg

Queen 2, possibly a different species? Or they just look different when physogastric:

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (4).jpeg

But what I'm most excited about is that Paratopula has her first worker! :yahoo:

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (3).jpeg

Here's a better pic, also what she's holding is a peice of mealworm and if you look closely, there is a larva stuck to it :facepalm:, not sure how it got stuck there or how they're going to get it unstuck but I sure hope it doesn't die:

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM (2).jpeg

And here's a picture of the new Polyrhachis bicolor queen, no eggs yet though :( :

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 8.16.41 PM.jpeg

Honestly, this is probably the biggest update post I made, 15 lines of text, 7 pictures, 6 smileys and used 42 minutes to make. (yes I actually counted)

good luck!!

• SYUTEO likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#203 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 4 2021 - 11:52 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

A couple more updates:

C. parius has it's first male alate.

Paratopula nanitic is starting to harden and the larva that got stuck in the mealworm was unstuck.

I went to a forest this morning but the only queen I found is a Platythyrea alate, the only 'good' thing I found are some wild lowland pitcher plants (Nepenthes cf gracilis, obviously I didn't take them home because it might be illegal) and also some Meranoplus cf malaysianus workers.

• ANTS_KL and m99 like this

#204 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 5 2021 - 12:01 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

A couple more updates:

C. parius has it's first male alate.

Paratopula nanitic is starting to harden and the larva that got stuck in the mealworm was unstuck.

I went to a forest this morning but the only queen I found is a Platythyrea alate, the only 'good' thing I found are some wild lowland pitcher plants (Nepenthes cf gracilis, obviously I didn't take them home because it might be illegal) and also some Meranoplus cf malaysianus workers.

Platythyrea are rare. Keep her and she might give you a colony!

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#205 Offline Idontexist - Posted December 9 2021 - 7:26 AM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
How long does bca tqke to go from worker to egg

#206 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 9 2021 - 5:08 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

How long does bca tqke to go from worker to egg

I think it's about one month.

Also I think you mean egg to worker, how can a worker turn back into an egg?

#207 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 9 2021 - 6:10 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Paratopula has a second worker.

Platythyrea broke off her wings.

One Mesoponera queen died.

Unknown sp might have eaten her eggs.

#208 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 11 2021 - 1:04 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I collected a Yellow crazy ant colony, 1 queen, 15-20 workers and some brood. Didn't collect the whole colony though, since the whole colony has over 300 workers and lots of brood, if I were to stay there and collect the whole colony, I would have been acid sprayed to the point I'm blind. I might collect the rest of the colony when I come back. I did also find a Leptogenys colony with about 20-30 workers but I didn't have another box to keep them in so I didn't collect it, I might collect it in the future but what do you think?

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#209 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 12 2021 - 2:42 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Unfortunately, Platythyrea died.

One Colobopsis queen might have a larva.

I have identified the unknown Ponerinae as Brachyponera.

The Pharaoh ants have returned and killed my mealworms and trying to invade my colonies.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#210 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 20 2021 - 1:18 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Lots of updates

Anochetus (queen) had her first worker and another larva hatched!

Anoplolepis gracilipes had a few dead workers but the queen laid some eggs, they moved to a test tube and some new workers eclosed.

Camponotus albosparsus has three nanitics!

Both Colobopsis queens have larvae!

Now, I didn't forget about L. rothneyi and M. bicolor's birthdays, I was going to give M. bicolor a new nest but that nest failed and so I just gave them something new to eat, I will still give them a new nest sometime.

Odontomachus simillimus (colony) had a new pupa and several larvae hatched.

Paratopula sp has five workers.

Tetramorium cf bicarinatum had pupae and they are starting to darken.

I will upload pictures soon.

Edit: Unfortunately, Polyrhachis cf bicolor died.

Edited by SYUTEO, December 21 2021 - 5:09 AM.

• Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and AntsCali098 like this

#211 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 20 2021 - 11:11 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I hope you can grow the yca into a big colony!

#212 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 21 2021 - 3:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
How about your Nylanderia?
  • ANTS_KL likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#213 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 21 2021 - 3:36 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I hope you can grow the yca into a big colony!

Well, I am planning on collecting some more brood from their original colony to brood boost them and I have located at least 5 more YCA nests in that plantation and at least one more queen.

#214 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 21 2021 - 4:21 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

How about your Nylanderia?

Mine? They are not growing at all. Acting quite strange actually.

#215 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 25 2021 - 12:53 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Merry Christmas everyone! :D I found a Tetramorium sp queen that's completely orange and bigger than my T. cf bicarinatum. I'm still not sure if she is Tetramorium though, I'll do research to determine it.

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#216 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 25 2021 - 12:55 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Merry Christmas everyone! :D I found a Tetramorium sp queen that's completely orange and bigger than my T. cf bicarinatum. I'm still not sure if she is Tetramorium though, I'll do research to determine it.

That's a Paratopula I think. Mind if you send pics?

Edited by ANTS_KL, December 25 2021 - 12:55 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#217 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 25 2021 - 3:55 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here:

gallery_6038_2070_28232.jpeg

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#218 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 25 2021 - 3:57 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here:
Looks Paratopula indeed

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#219 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 25 2021 - 4:30 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here:
Looks Paratopula indeed

Ok!

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#220 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 25 2021 - 7:11 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Everyone, I actually found a Colobopsis alate last night! She hasn't broke off her wings yet. And this a species that does autothysis (self-destruct), could be C. leonardi.
  • Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and PaigeX like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users