• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus mexicanus Journal [124] (Updated 2-4-2024)

myrmecocystus dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Here for the honeypots - Posted August 29 2015 - 5:39 PM

Here for the honeypots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Also, would you happen to know if I can find these in Northern Nevada? If so, any strategies for finding queens? Thanks a ton!

#82 Offline Chall - Posted August 29 2015 - 8:46 PM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
Is that a hand made nest?

#83 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 29 2015 - 11:35 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

My Mexicanus was plump for a while, but then she got pretty thinned out in her gaster.  No idea why it happened.  She was just thin on her next check up (which happens every few days).

#84 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 30 2015 - 1:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This is awesome! I have a few questions if you don't mind answering. 1: what is your location? I would really like a honeypot colony for my agriculture class and would pay you money for one. Name your price. I would greatly appreciate it. Please respond. Thanks!

I'm in Southern California, and only sell in that location.

Is that a hand made nest?

If you are talking about the box of dirt, yes, that would be hand made.

#85 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 30 2015 - 10:54 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Also, would you happen to know if I can find these in Northern Nevada? If so, any strategies for finding queens? Thanks a ton!

If you read around on this forum you could figure it out. I will compress this into two links to avoid cluttering up Drew's journal, but here.
Finding your own queen ants: https://www.formicul...y-mated-queens/
Myrmecocystus mexicanus range (note two specimens just outside of Reno, Nevada): https://antmaps.org/...ystus.mexicanus
As for buying ants from anybody outside of Nevada, I would strongly advise you not to, as it is a danger for the ants and the local ecosystem and it is illegal.

#86 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 2 2015 - 7:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 9-2-2015

The queens from the Phelan area have started to get workers now.

I lost another queen in one of the dirt boxes. I cleaned out the five vacant boxes and set them up again. This time I left a barbeque skewer in the corner where the plug is when putting the dirt in, so I ended up with a small hole all the way down to the bottom. I then took an applicator bottle and flushed out some dirt making a small chamber on the bottom. This allowed me to put the queens, workers, and brood directly into a chamber through the plug hole. It's sometimes a problem letting the workers dig a new nest, because they don't dig it large enough for the queen to fit, and so I end up having to make the entrance larger myself.

med_gallery_2_43_688054.jpg

Putting the colony in the nest was pretty easy using this Fluon-coated stainless steel funnel. I just poured them in, and they slid right down the funnel, eggs and all.

med_gallery_2_43_98326.jpg

Right away they started customizing the nest and organizing their brood.

med_gallery_2_43_422682.jpg
  • Ants4fun and 100lols like this

#87 Offline Crystals - Posted September 2 2015 - 8:36 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice.  They look right at home there.

• LC3 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#88 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 10 2015 - 12:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-10-2015

Five more dead queens. One left behind lots of brood, which I gave to one of my best colonies except two of the pupae that went to an M. navajo queen marked with a green sticker. Another left behind lots of brood and workers, so I plan on trying to introduce a queen to them that isn't producing a whole lot.

#89 Offline dermy - Posted September 10 2015 - 12:49 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

What do you mean marked with a green sticker? Is that Drew's Seal of Approval? Is it on the queen, or just on a Formicarium?

#90 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 10 2015 - 6:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I only put the stickers on containers.

• dermy likes this

#91 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 27 2015 - 12:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 9-27-2015

I haven't had very many more deaths since the last update. I just moved another six or so into dirt boxes. Right now I have about 20 in dirt boxes, and they're all doing quite well. I have another six still in little test tube containers, and most of those are doing really well too. My largest colony is probably around 25 workers.

med_gallery_2_43_435554.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_448639.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_458566.jpg

This queen really likes hummingbird nectar.

med_gallery_2_43_518914.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_124047.jpg
  • Etherwulf likes this

#92 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted September 27 2015 - 5:14 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA, California
They remind me of a stereotypical gray alien. With a thin body and and big black eyes. Only difference is there color of the body. :D

#93 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 19 2015 - 7:08 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
med_gallery_2_43_439770.jpg

#94 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 19 2015 - 8:15 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
No idea what I'm looking at.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#95 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 19 2015 - 9:36 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's a picture of my ants. :P

• Gregory2455 likes this

#96 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 19 2015 - 11:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 10-19-2015

I've only had one death since the last update, and that was a dud queen anyway. I still have 20 of these in small dirt boxes. One of them I just moved into a large dirt box as you can see below.

A lot of these colonies are producing like crazy. I counted around 70 small larvae in some. The largest colony is up to about 30 workers--two of them repletes, 13 pupae, and about 50 larvae. Only about four colonies have repletes.

med_gallery_2_43_377809.jpg

#97 Offline dermy - Posted October 20 2015 - 12:43 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Sounds like your doing alright :D

Glad to see your finally having some success :)

• dspdrew likes this

#98 Offline Here for the honeypots - Posted January 20 2016 - 10:58 AM

Here for the honeypots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

How are these guys doing?? Anything new? All dead? All Well?

#99 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2016 - 1:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was going to update this journal probably tonight. When I do, I'll just edit this post and bump it up.

• Here for the honeypots likes this

#100 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 2 2016 - 7:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 2-2-2016

I had a little disaster and lost about six of these colonies. The humidity got so low here, that the nests dried out much faster than I anticipated, leading to a few entire colonies dehydrated and dead. One of them lost everything but the queen, so I put that queen in with one that still had quite a few workers left. They immediately got along perfectly with no signs of aggression. Unfortunately, a few days later, I found that queen dead. I was about to just get rid of those workers, when I realized I still had a "colony" of a queen and one worker in a test tube, so I put them together with that queen-less colony. This time the workers nipped at the queen a tiny bit, but then one started feeding her, and within five minutes they were all getting along fine.

I now have a total of eleven colonies left, with most of them consisting of more than 50 workers. I am definitely going to need to make some larger setups for these very soon.

med_gallery_2_43_243038.jpg
  • Here for the honeypots and Rstheant like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus, dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users