• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus mexicanus Journal [124] (Updated 2-4-2024)

myrmecocystus dspdrew journal

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 11 2015 - 3:20 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Those queens look amazing. So jealous. I love yellow ants.
  • BugFinder likes this

#62 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 12 2015 - 10:00 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Are you experimenting with any founding setups other than test tube and ant box?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#63 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 12 2015 - 1:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have them in test tubes, dirt boxes, and in my little prototype test tube replacement formicarium.

• BugFinder likes this

#64 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 12 2015 - 4:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Do you think the flew in the High Desert area around Palmdale, El Mirage, and Phelan too? Awesome catch by the way.

#65 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 12 2015 - 11:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's possible. It rained a little bit in some of those places, but I don't know if there was enough.

#66 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 17 2015 - 5:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-17-2015

I put four more of these in my little ant farm boxes. Getting their eggs to them was not easy. I failed with one of them and ended up destroying its nest, so I tried something different. I put another hole in the container like the bottom one at the surface of the dirt and taped a very short test tube to it with the eggs inside. I figure this will give her a place to keep the eggs until she is done digging her chamber. With smaller queens, I just give them their eggs, and they find a place to put them while they dig, but these queens are so large they will probably end up burying them.

med_gallery_2_43_601366.jpg

At first the queen ended up closing off the entrance of the tube with dirt, so I swapped the tube out with an even smaller one, but now she's sitting in that! She can barely fit in this tiny test tube, and she's choosing that as her nest over digging one in the dirt for now. :lol: I'll just keep waiting I guess. I figure she will eventually dig a nest when it gets too dry in that tube, but seeing how Myrmecocystus destroy their brood so much in test tubes, I'm afraid she will just sit in there until the eggs dry out.

#67 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 29 2015 - 7:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-29-2015

A big storm went through the high desert on 7-19-2015, dropping well over an inch of rain in most areas in the Victor Valley. A few of us went out there two days later and found tons more of these queens. There were so many, we just had to stop collecting them. Again, the founding chambers were really easy to recognize due to their size in every aspect.

I put a bunch more of these in my small antfarm/dirt boxes. Some of the ones from Goffs already have quite a few medium sized larvae.

It's interesting watching how they dig their founding chambers. They like to dig all the way down, create a perfect little chamber, and then fill the hole all the way down to the chamber, completely sealing themselves in. So far these antfarm/dirt boxes seem to be working well for them.

med_gallery_2_43_404213.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_47675.jpg

In this one you can see the queen's larvae on one side, and her pile of fresh eggs on the other.

med_gallery_2_43_224038.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_329291.jpg

med_gallery_2_43_249430.jpg

If you're wondering how attaching the tube went, the queen dug her nest and sealed it off, leaving all of her eggs just sitting in the tube... I no longer bother trying to give them their eggs, and instead donate them to other queens still in test tubes. If they're healthy, they should be able to lay plenty more.
  • Foogoo, antmaniac, Wamdar and 3 others like this

#68 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2015 - 6:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
med_gallery_2_43_46550.jpg
  • Jonathan21700, LC3, Wan1 and 1 other like this

#69 Offline Mdrogun - Posted August 11 2015 - 9:01 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Wow, It seems like you had good luck with this one.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#70 Offline LC3 - Posted August 11 2015 - 9:05 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
:o Never think I would ever expect to see a Mexicanus with that much pupae.

#71 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 11 2015 - 9:07 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

:o Never think I would ever expect to see a Mexicanus with that much pupae.

Mine basically has the same brood count, just not as developed as they are kept in a cooler place. All of mine have 10-15 large larvae. I think all of us are going to get lucky this year with our catch of Myrmecocystus.

#72 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2015 - 9:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have a few of them like this. The reason these are so much further along, is because I got them in Goffs, two weeks before everybody else got theirs in Phelan.

#73 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 11 2015 - 5:21 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Have you had these reject boosted brood? One of mine died and left a nice pile of eggs which when I tried boosting to another queen, she dragged it to the entrance to let dry. I'm surprised she didn't at least eat them.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#74 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2015 - 8:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sure. I've been moving their brood all over the place. Most every one I put in a dirt box, I had to do so without giving them their brood. All this extra brood I just give to one of the other queens.

#75 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 12 2015 - 7:33 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Sure. I've been moving their brood all over the place. Most every one I put in a dirt box, I had to do so without giving them their brood. All this extra brood I just give to one of the other queens.

You mean you put them in the dirt box without their brood? Why is that? So sounds like it's just draw of the luck whether they'll take or reject another queens eggs?

#76 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2015 - 10:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah. I've tried giving them their brood, but they usually just end up burying it on accident because of the limited space. They usually dig all the way to the bottom and around, so if they don't take too long, their brood will still be okay, and I can take out the plug and place it in their nest.

They almost always accept the other queen's brood.

#77 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 26 2015 - 5:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 8-26-2015

By now I no longer have any of these in plain test tubes. I had about half of them in dirt boxes, and the other half in small foraging containers. Some of these containers are setup to only use the test tube for hydration. In those containers, the test tube keeps the substrate moist at all times. The colonies this time around are doing way better than I've had any honeypot ants do before.

Here is one that kind of built a little wall around the area it considers its nest.

med_gallery_2_43_659378.jpg

A few of the colonies from Goffs had their first workers eclose a week ago. A couple days ago, a few of them opened up their nest for the first time and filled up on hummingbird nectar. Unfortunately, last night I found four of the queens housed in the dirt boxes dead. A couple of these had a large amount of brood just days from eclosing too. I was able to retrieve the brood and donate it to a few of the other queens. I gave it to the only two left in dirt boxes with workers and open nests. It didn't take long for the workers to take it all down into their nests. I have no idea why queens that seemed to be doing so well just died like that all of a sudden, but that is exactly why I collect so many from the start.

I'm expecting the colonies from Phelan to all be getting their workers soon, so when that happens I'll have another update with plenty pictures.
  • Alexant and antnest8 like this

#78 Offline Here for the honeypots - Posted August 29 2015 - 4:46 PM

Here for the honeypots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Edited by Here for the honeypots, December 6 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#79 Offline Here for the honeypots - Posted August 29 2015 - 4:47 PM

Here for the honeypots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Or when you get a queen. Thanks!

#80 Offline Here for the honeypots - Posted August 29 2015 - 4:56 PM

Here for the honeypots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Or just when you get a new queen. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus, dspdrew, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users