• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus taxonomy changes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 21 2021 - 3:55 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

This paper has some name  implications for the species of Camponotus folks are keeping.

https://antcat.org/references/143856

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and ANTdrew like this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 22 2021 - 5:32 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Can someone summarize the article? I don’t wanna read all of that.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 22 2021 - 5:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

There are 20 pages, some of which are only pictures pretty much.

Here is a chart from it that shows some of the changes. Read the article if you want the details.

ward___boudinot_2021_arthropod_syst_phylogeny_camponotus_and_colobopsis_taxonomy.pdf - Google Chrome 4_22_2021 9_48_29 AM (2).png

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 22 2021 - 5:50 AM.

• Manitobant likes this

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 22 2021 - 5:51 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Some species of Camponotus were transferred to Colobopsis and vice versa. I think the only taxonomic change that might affect us here at Formiculture (the only species some of us may keep) is that Colobopsis yogi is back in Camponotus, but I'm sure we all saw that coming.

• gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline M_Ants - Posted April 22 2021 - 6:19 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Can someone explain what a junior synonym is? Its says colas are a junior synonym of laevigatus.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 22 2021 - 6:24 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Can someone explain what a junior synonym is? Its says colas are a junior synonym of laevigatus.

basically a old name referring to the same species that is no longer in use. For example, pheidologeton diversus is a junior synonym of carebara diversa.

I'm assuming this means querc got fused with laevigatus, which is quite interesting to say the least.

Edited by Manitobant, April 22 2021 - 6:26 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 22 2021 - 7:08 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

basically a old name referring to the same species that is no longer in use. For example, pheidologeton diversus is a junior synonym of carebara diversa.

I'm assuming this means querc got fused with laevigatus, which is quite interesting to say the least.

So basically anyone who has quericola should refer to them as laevigatus now?

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 22 2021 - 7:34 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

So basically anyone who has quericola should refer to them as laevigatus now?

Yes, that is correct. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 22 2021 - 3:19 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Lazy some? If you are capable of reading it there is no reason for us to summarize it.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 1 2021 - 2:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't understand how anyone could say C. laevigatus are the same as C. quercicola.

• nurbs and AnthonyP163 like this

#11 Offline ReignofRage - Posted May 1 2021 - 2:26 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I don't understand how anyone could say C. laevigatus are the same as C. quercicola.

Someone probably had a quercicola as a laevigatus specimen.

Edited by Reign_Of_Rage, May 3 2021 - 1:08 PM.

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 1 2021 - 8:01 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, no. That's partly what a synonym means. A junior synonym is a bit more specific.  A junior synonym is a synonymous name that was described at a later date than the accepted taxon name. Pheidologeton diversus would actually be a senior synonym for Carebara diversa, while the genus Pheidologeton is a junior synonym to Carebara.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users