• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

MG's P. imparis, a possibly Tragic Tale (but maybe not!)

antkeeping formicaria prenelopsis imparis canada ontario winter ant false honeypot ant polygyny

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 19 2021 - 7:28 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario

Science Outpost captives were returned to the nest from whence they were kidnapped. Many re-entered the nest, a few ran off. Boys were evident at the nest, they might fly today: was cool and rainy yesterday, sunny today. My reasons for their release I have already stated. Mainly I realized I had a full plate of delicious Science to keep me occupied until I get more supplies in-house.

I continue to resist the urge to peek at my claustrals. I AM STRONG. I AM THE RESISTY.

Edited by mantisgal, April 19 2021 - 7:30 AM.

#42 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 20 2021 - 1:56 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Yesterday after releasing the Science Outpost, I was rewarded with a fertilized Queen on my doorstep. Hurrah! As it's been over a week since the other Ladies were ensconced in their chambers, I made a new chamber for her in the Bower.

Today I Peeked.

Lil Miss Lonely has spent the week pulling at her cotton, and a great job of it she did: she was a third of the way through the ball!. She was clearly unhappy so I released her at the entrance of her local nest. After some circling she went inside. I wish her good journey. Perhaps she will be in the next flight.

Wing & Wingless have about 6-8 eggs in a clutch, I am hopeful for them. Prenny Lane still has eggs and may have laid fresh ones. Yesterday's catch is settling in to her chamber nicely. Will try to resist until Saturday

• Lillyrose likes this

#43 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 27 2021 - 5:05 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Nice! It is okay to look once in a while, but limit it to at least once every week. No more.

#44 Offline mantisgal - Posted May 3 2021 - 7:41 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I checked everyone on Saturday. EVERYONE HAS EGGS.

VERY EXCITING.

added a fertile Quartet during last week, they look good
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#45 Offline mantisgal - Posted May 6 2021 - 10:49 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Peeked yesterday, the solo Queen was carrying her eggs around, very cute 😍

#46 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 3 2021 - 5:17 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Sorry for long absence. No one is dead, down to 5 queens thru networking. Prenny Lane (a duo) and a trio I'm calling The Imp'risarios.

Trio looks like they may have their first worker soon, which is funny because Prenny Lane started laying first. Am thinking they may be estivating because movement is slow. I HAVE VIDEO. lemme cut out some of the lame bits first or you just want the raw footage?

Edited by mantisgal, July 3 2021 - 5:17 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 3 2021 - 5:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Woah! You’re back!
  • Antkeeper01 and mantisgal like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#48 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 4 2021 - 11:27 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
S U R P R I S E
I just had no good updates except for "ugh, still nothing" so I kinda drifted. Now that Something Appears To Be Happening, I am back, with more thrilling installments of Prenny Lane and the Imp'risarios
  • TestSubjectOne likes this

#49 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 11 2021 - 6:54 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
As of yesterday The Imp'risarios have 2 nanitics! Both nest tubes got a teensy droplet of pure honey.

K, now I need advice. I'd like them to move house into a cleaner place, now that there are workers should I offer them a new space? Or should I wait til the kids start pulling at their exit plug? The water is still clear but the cotton is black :/
  • Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#50 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 11 2021 - 9:25 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Put their test tube in a small container with another test tube and wait. Bonus: you wouldn’t have to feed them in the tube.
  • mantisgal likes this

#51 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 11 2021 - 3:03 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Oh that is a good idea. I have an Apartment/honeycell nest chamber from Por Amor Ant, can I offer them that? Or just stick with the test tube set-ups? Do I leave both tubes open or use tubing to connect them?

I am truly grateful for all your help and advice, I am so excited I could scream and I feel like if I look at the Imp'risarios now there will be more nanitics because last night there were so many eyes!

I was too excited to type out the tale, but now I have enough sense to do so:
When I saw the first pale motion, I focused in closer and saw A Full Nanitic trying to put her newly drying legs in order (ugh, so kawaii, ded utterly).

But my friends, it got even cuter.

As I peered furiously into the tube, I noticed the First Baby making a repetitive motion to her side. Even while she herself was drying, she was helping a sister stretch out, welcoming her as she struggled into her final form. I then noticed many dark little eyes in the brood pile, and I knew it was about to get W I L D in there. More soon, will be hovering for your updated advices ❤

Edited by mantisgal, July 11 2021 - 3:04 PM.

• TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

#52 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 12 2021 - 3:56 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Congrats, mine just got her first workers too and they filled the queen up like a balloon!

Attached Images

• 19F35BFD-6B28-41AA-A255-9FF27B255171.jpeg

• ANTdrew, TestSubjectOne and mantisgal like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#53 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 12 2021 - 8:07 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
😍
  • AntBoi3030 likes this

#54 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 12 2021 - 8:48 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
I can’t wait for them to get repleates
  • mantisgal likes this

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#55 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 12 2021 - 4:44 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Me neither!

Folks who have grout nests with capillary water chambers that are reading this, I have a question:
Is a flaky white residue normal? Will it savage my girls? How often do you refill a small nest (mebbe 2.5" total length including reservoir). I am trying to hydrate a nest in preparation for either team of Queens to move into and I'd like to be sure I'm doing no harm. I am using filtered but not distilled water.
  • AntBoi3030 likes this

#56 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 14 2021 - 5:56 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Prenny Lane's first nanitic eclosed! From the colour, probably happened yesterday!
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#57 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 14 2021 - 6:19 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

yay!!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#58 Offline mantisgal - Posted July 18 2021 - 5:24 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
IMP'RISARIOS HAVE 2 REPLETES AND COUNTING
  • Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#59 Offline mantisgal - Posted August 4 2021 - 3:53 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Prenny Lane is dead. Long live Prenny Lane. They had, um, an accident. Yes. A terrible sad accident.

Btw when your queens are drowning and sending their nanitics to die by digging into their water-keeper they may not be smart, so don't just tap them out into a mini-outworld and pray. They are dumb. They will die.

The Imp'risarios are up to a couple dozen workers I think or will be soon as one to three new larva eclose daily. They have eaten a housefly and 2 fruitflies and keep their replete sweeties swollen with honey. There are at least one per Queen. I have given them a small garden slug to see what happens.

I totally forgot but I think I've caught a Camponotus queen but she looks wee, maybe I caught a Tetra? She is very black and was running away across my inflatable pool amongst a pile of reddish males with very skinny gasters busy dying. Anyways I tubed her up and totally forgot about her as is only proper. Looked in today and I think I saw her over an egg pile. I'll check under a red lamp later.

Edited by mantisgal, August 4 2021 - 3:53 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#60 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 4 2021 - 4:33 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Post an ID request
  • Antkeeper01 and mantisgal like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antkeeping, formicaria, prenelopsis imparis, canada, ontario, winter ant, false honeypot ant, polygyny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users