• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

MG's P. imparis, a possibly Tragic Tale (but maybe not!)

antkeeping formicaria prenelopsis imparis canada ontario winter ant false honeypot ant polygyny

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 16 2021 - 9:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Snow in April? That's gangsta!

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#22 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 16 2021 - 9:51 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I know. This storm brought more than rain. I was supprised myself. The forcast said it would snow in western MA, but it snowed all the way to the coast. Hard.

#23 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:00 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Snowed here a day or two ago.

#24 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:06 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Whelp, because it was raining today in MA I would of said that there was going to maybe be a flight of Preno, but it ended up snowing instead.....

4 inches like us :thinking:

Snowed here a day or two ago.

snowed here 4 inches yesterday

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#25 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:47 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Crazy. I'm going to tennessee for april break this week, so I won't be posting for a while. But after I will make a post of all the species I find  :D

I'm also getting away from the cold weather. lol

#26 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:59 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGolden Horseshoe, Ontario

go out this week, it could happen for you!

Was out on my deck and peeked in my cistern, saw a golden blob. A fifth Queen! Had she drowned? I scooped her into a clay dish to dry and brought her inside. She soon felt warm and dry enough to begin exploring the dish: Not Drowned! Wings still on but that could be because falling in water delayed their removal. 

Rather than disturb an existing Queen chamber she has been given her own tube and cardboard sleeve, so we shall see about the wings. Bowers are approximately 22C.

Current plan is to check no sooner than Saturday if I cannot resist the urge to look.

#27 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 16 2021 - 7:17 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Woot! This is exciting

• mantisgal likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#28 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:40 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

You know what. I've might post this week. I thought it might be to big to fit in my bag but I could try to squeeze mt computer in.

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 17 2021 - 6:26 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

When you put the queens in pairs, they have more eggs, and supercolonies are just really cool.

Yes. Two queens is not a supercolony. At best it will increase the number of nanitics produced, but after that the amount of eggs laid will be the same as if they had one queen, in most cases. The queens alternate in egg laying, so it may prolong their lifespans, as there is less stress on their ovaries, but other than that it will not affect keeping them in any way. I prefer polygynous colonies solely because of the visual aesthetics. 

Haha, happens here all of the time. Try snow in May as well, on top of that.

• mantisgal likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 17 2021 - 8:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nah, I’m good, bro!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#31 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 17 2021 - 9:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Crazy. I'm going to tennessee for april break this week, so I won't be posting for a while. But after I will make a post of all the species I find  :D

Good luck with that, lol. We're not a whole lot better right now. Another strange weather pattern hit us again and now we're back down into the low-mid 60s. Later this week we're supposed to get back into the 70s and 80s, though, so I'm dying until then. :lol:

#32 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 17 2021 - 9:25 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Good luck with that, lol. We're not a whole lot better right now. Another strange weather pattern hit us again and now we're back down into the low-mid 60s. Later this week we're supposed to get back into the 70s and 80s, though, so I'm dying until then. :lol:

here the high for the next 2 days is 59

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#33 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 17 2021 - 9:42 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
So i have peeked and Queen number 5 is whaling away at her blocking cotton, I might just let her out. I took the fastest peeks ever at the paired queens who were both in cuddle mode so I think they're OK. Did not fully inspect, just looked for motion, so if there are eggs I do not yet know. Perhaps at next week's peek. Will be back to update on Queen 5

#34 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 17 2021 - 12:25 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

I HAS EGGS

• NPLT likes this

#35 Offline NPLT - Posted April 17 2021 - 12:48 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

I HAS EGGS

[There's no emote for applause but pretend there is one here]

Congratulations!

• mantisgal likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#36 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 17 2021 - 12:54 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Thank you. I just had a feeling and decided to check on the pair I found wingless and housed together ❤. In the light I saw perhaps up to a dozen eggs, carefully guarded by their Lady Mothers.

I will try to photograph under red light later when the sun sets so no white light interferes. I would like to shift them into the single dark box I threw together for the 5th queen I caught: if I'm going to be taking them out again I may as well test this camera.

This colony will be known as Prenny Lane

#37 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 18 2021 - 9:10 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

caught another 9 Queens when I went to dig up a plant from the vacant lot next door. When I put in my spade I unearthed a nest, so I just started grabbing. Put 6 in a tube. Then i had an Idea. A wonderful, terrible idea. I grabbed an AC tube and watered it and socked it onto a teensy weensy connector chamber, then went back and tossed 3 more Queens and a few wild workers in. For Science. I have darkshades on all new tubes, and will offer the workers food soon.

Peeked at Lil Miss Lonely. she is calm and washy - no longer pulling on exit cotton, still has wings. Was thinking of adding her to the newest Science group but I saw a Speck that may be an Egg??? If she has laid will she abandon the tube for greener pastures with her pals or will she refuse to leave? Plan hiccup: glass tubes are wider diameter than outworld connector. Do I knock'er in and eff the egg?

No update on Prenny Lane, I find it is easier not to look at them now that I know they have started brooding

Hooray for Science!

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#38 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 18 2021 - 9:46 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Unmated queens can lay eggs as well, they're just not mated. If the queen truly is mated, she should lay at least several more, clump them into a ball, and carry them around. If they're randomly scattered around the tube and she doesn't seem to give a darn about them she most likely isn't mated. But neither are absolute signs, just general traits. 

• mantisgal likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#39 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 18 2021 - 10:20 AM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

I'm just going to hafta wait and see. For Science!

Just had a Bad Feeling, checked on the tube of 6. Water seepage! Dumped them into the Science Outpost, so there's 9 Queens in there, a half dozen workers, and at least 2 Queens dropped wings.

Lil Miss Lonely only had one egg looking thing. Checked on Wing & Wingless: Wing is active, Wingless appears to be brooding over a few speckles.

Gave the Science Outpost half an earthworm and one worker is on it, vibing hard, gaster a-wiggle. Will check shortly to make sure I saw joy and not the flailing of a stuck foot

Edited by mantisgal, April 18 2021 - 10:20 AM.

#40 Offline mantisgal - Posted April 18 2021 - 5:33 PM

mantisgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

I think tomorrow I will let the Science Outpost out if they're still unhappy, tho several Queens are holed up in a tube. I'm just collecting to collect now and that's unfair to them. I shouldn't keep more than I have resources for, and there will be more Queens, the year is yet young and Camponotus are due

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antkeeping, formicaria, prenelopsis imparis, canada, ontario, winter ant, false honeypot ant, polygyny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users