• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Knoxville, Tn

nuptial nuptial flights

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 6 2021 - 8:18 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

If you are in or around downtown knoxville, tennessee. I just found 4 male alates! I'll try to post pictures when I get off work. 

meant to say its camponotus season baby!

Edited by JoeByron, April 6 2021 - 8:18 PM.

#2 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 7 2021 - 10:17 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I've caught 5 queens tonight!!!!

• ZTYguy likes this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 8 2021 - 4:43 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Wait, Camponotus already? I have to wait til June.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 8 2021 - 7:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I haven't seen one queen yet. What species and what habitat and time? I'm not doing great at predicting their flights this year, as normally they all fly the second week in April at dusk. Normally I can get a few hundred queens.

#5 Offline SpaceX1193 - Posted April 8 2021 - 8:20 PM

SpaceX1193

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Tonight was a tad cold for queens but last night I caug a camponotus Subbarbatus queen and a camponotus chromiades dark morph queen (probably infertile tho but it’s fine I got a 33 worker dark morph colony)

I didn’t find a Camponotus decepeins queen in the day today. Idk if she’s fertile tho. I think she is but if not I have one that is but idk if she’ll make it because she failed first year but is doing better this year after I gave her honey and fruit flies.

Edit: I’m in greenback tn btw

Edited by SpaceX1193, April 8 2021 - 8:21 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Kaelwizard like this

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 9 2021 - 12:13 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Camponotus chromaiodes has morphs?

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 9 2021 - 1:59 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Camponotus chromaiodes has morphs?

Yes, a light morph, dark morph and a sorta medium morph.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, April 9 2021 - 2:00 PM.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 2:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m on high alert for Camponotus flights in Virginia on Sunday. It’s raining all weekend, then hitting 80 that day.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 9 2021 - 6:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I’m on high alert for Camponotus flights in Virginia on Sunday. It’s raining all weekend, then hitting 80 that day.

Collected 28 today.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 6:57 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Collected 28 today.
You would!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 9 2021 - 7:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Collected 28 today.
You would!

Although true, I am a bit bummed since I missed the flight earlier today, so I was only able to scramble through the pitch-dark forest with a dim headlamp as light and a few vials, grabbing any and all dealates I found on logs, trees and open patches of ground.

#12 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 13 2021 - 9:00 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I haven't seen one queen yet. What species and what habitat and time? I'm not doing great at predicting their flights this year, as normally they all fly the second week in April at dusk. Normally I can get a few hundred queens.

Not positive on the species. I can get pictures up soon. I have a bunch going on. But I have found them in the downtown area. In my works parking garage. They've also already started to leg eggs. And they are carrying for them so I'd guess they're fertile. 

I was also sitting at a table outside at the bar, and like a sign from the booze gods a male and female alate fell out of the sky and literally RIGHT ON MY TABLE! and then another a table over. This is at a bar called trail head in south knox. Its rather close to the river and some old homes. All of these places are right by each other. I was at Ijams today and saw some male alates on the ground by a rock and I tipped it over and there were a fricken bunch of movement at the top of the surface! I think these will be happening soon!

We had a lot of rainfall. Sadly for you knoxville is part of a type of rainforest, and nashville sadly isn't....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial, nuptial flights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users