• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antcatcherpro3's Leopard gecko

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 18 2021 - 8:17 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I can't, but I can change the size of things indie of it. I don't have room for a 20 gallon and the minimum for the tank is 10, so I'm going to use that.

#82 Offline RG_Ants - Posted March 18 2021 - 8:19 AM

RG_Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Is that sand? sand is not a great substrate for leopard geckos because they may accidentally ingest it while hunting and it can kill them if it gets in the way of their digestion system. some substitutes are shown in this article, along with why some substrates are not good options. https://www.reptilea...ecko-substrate/

They live on sand in the wild. I don’t think we would have them if they couldn’t survive in their own natural habitat.
They don't actually live on sand in the wild. They live on the rocky desert plains of Pakistan. Desert doesn't mean sand, it literally just means little rainfall and vegetation.
There is literally sand/dirt in between the rocks. Besides, they have a tendency to lick a lot of things they shouldn’t. I know people who keep their geckos on sand with no issues at all.

I don't see any sand between the rocks. There is grass, but no sand. I agree with a lot of the posts saying that you should switch substrates. Many pet stores like Petco and petsmart may advertise sand to be safe, but it is not. Any experienced reptile keeper will tell you that. I am not trying to hate or anything, just trying to offer advice. Impactions are VERY serious and can quickly lead to death. Some alternatives are ceramic tile, coco fiber, and even repti-carpet.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#83 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 18 2021 - 8:20 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I was getting a repti carpet.

#84 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 18 2021 - 8:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Is that sand? sand is not a great substrate for leopard geckos because they may accidentally ingest it while hunting and it can kill them if it gets in the way of their digestion system. some substitutes are shown in this article, along with why some substrates are not good options. https://www.reptilea...ecko-substrate/

They live on sand in the wild. I don’t think we would have them if they couldn’t survive in their own natural habitat.
They don't actually live on sand in the wild. They live on the rocky desert plains of Pakistan. Desert doesn't mean sand, it literally just means little rainfall and vegetation.
There is literally sand/dirt in between the rocks. Besides, they have a tendency to lick a lot of things they shouldn’t. I know people who keep their geckos on sand with no issues at all.

I don't see any sand between the rocks. There is grass, but no sand. I agree with a lot of the posts saying that you should switch substrates. Many pet stores like Petco and petsmart may advertise sand to be safe, but it is not. Any experienced reptile keeper will tell you that. I am not trying to hate or anything, just trying to offer advice. Impactions are VERY serious and can quickly lead to death. Some alternatives are ceramic tile, coco fiber, and even repti-carpet.

I cleared that up in another post. I recommend looking at the newer posts before replying to an older one so that you know if that conversation is over or has been cleared up.

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 18 2021 - 10:58 AM.

#85 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 18 2021 - 8:25 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I wasn't going to use the sand or coco fiber if I was getting a repti carpet but I'll see. I've been switching between substrates alot.

#86 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 18 2021 - 9:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Why not just pour a layer of hydrostone or grout in the bottom and leave it at that? You could embed some cool looking rocks or driftwood for it to look natural.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#87 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 18 2021 - 10:30 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Because I don't have any. I'm gonna do some research and find out what the best substrate is.

#88 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 18 2021 - 10:57 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Why not just pour a layer of hydrostone or grout in the bottom and leave it at that? You could embed some cool looking rocks or driftwood for it to look natural.

Grout is often used in DYI decor for beardies, so I bet it could make some cool stuff for leos too. Not sure about it being used as sub, but it would probably be alright.

#89 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 18 2021 - 1:00 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

idk...

#90 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 28 2021 - 12:27 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Update: The carpet came and her tank looks amazing! she is very happy with her new home and is eating well.

like a normal gecko, she sleeps all day, and then at dawn and dusk, she is moving around a lot. she is a very active gecko.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#91 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 29 2021 - 6:17 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Nice.  (y)

#92 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 30 2021 - 4:02 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I can see her skin is very dull. It looks like she is going to shed soon!!  :D

#93 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 30 2021 - 7:15 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Okkkk! I get that your giving me advice, but to me it seems that you are saying almost everything with the tank that coconut in is wrong or needs to be changed. She is in a good size tank, and I am putting slate down soon.

My enclousre is big enough.

"Big enough" can mean a lot of things, as people still believe that 10 gallons is enough. The recommended minimum is 40 gallons.

To be fair, that’s essentially what people have been saying. You’re getting a lot of advice because frankly there’s a lot wrong.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#94 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 30 2021 - 7:17 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Okkkk! I get that your giving me advice, but to me it seems that you are saying almost everything with the tank that coconut in is wrong or needs to be changed. She is in a good size tank, and I am putting slate down soon.

My enclousre is big enough.

"Big enough" can mean a lot of things, as people still believe that 10 gallons is enough. The recommended minimum is 40 gallons.

To be fair, that’s essentially what people have been saying. You’re getting a lot of advice because frankly there’s a lot wrong.

To be fair this argument had ended 13 days ago. He is working on fixing the issues.

#95 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 30 2021 - 7:33 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

He's still sticking with a 10 gallon. That's possibly the biggest issue. Glad to see the substrate change though. 

Ants I have:

#96 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 30 2021 - 8:04 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

its a 20 gallon not 10

#97 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 30 2021 - 8:06 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

So I think that's pretty good. 

#98 Offline Spazmops - Posted March 30 2021 - 8:31 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I'm a bit confused, a few days ago you said it was in a 10 gallon and that you didn't have room for a 20. 

Ants I have:

#99 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 30 2021 - 8:33 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

He's still sticking with a 10 gallon. That's possibly the biggest issue. Glad to see the substrate change though. 

Wait, a 10 gallon is alright for a baby gecko right? Mine is in a 10 and I’m going to upgrade him to a 30 when he’s an adult, but is a 10 fine for now?

My YouTube channel :)

#100 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 30 2021 - 8:40 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Ik. I thought it was a 10 gallon, but when I was buying the reptile carpet, and when I measured it, it was a 20 gallon and not a 10.

I'm a bit confused, a few days ago you said it was in a 10 gallon and that you didn't have room for a 20. 

Wait, a 10 gallon is alright for a baby gecko right? Mine is in a 10 and I’m going to upgrade him to a 30 when he’s an adult, but is a 10 fine for now?

And yes. A 10 gallon is good for a baby gecko.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users