• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antcatcherpro3's Leopard gecko

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 16 2021 - 8:00 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

What about online.

#42 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 16 2021 - 8:00 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

What about online.

Yes, you can find them online, as well as at fish shops (my LFS has thin slate tiles) and Lowes has them if you have a local Lowes

My YouTube channel :)

#43 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 16 2021 - 8:01 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I found some good looking ones that are for tanks on amazon.

They are also cheap so I will probably get them.

#44 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 16 2021 - 8:48 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I think I will use coco fiber, is that good? (also my geckos name is coconut....so coco fiber would match her name.)

well, it should work better than sand, but still a chance of impaction, and it might make it too humid.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#45 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:00 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Not to pile on but...

goherping is a horrible source fyi

also, sand and topsoil 50/50 is perfect. Just stay away from calicisand. With perfect husbandry they will not get impacted. 

Replace the sand in that mix with clay, and it’s ok, but not ideal. Stay away from sands of all types. It’s not in their natural environment. Used to have a friend who had a leo, kept it on sand. It got impacted, stopped eating, and died. Do what’s best for your gecko, not what looks best for you.

I don’t see any benefits that could possibly arise from using sand, other than aesthetics. 

sand/topsoil/clay mix is just fine. If your husbandry is correct, it won't get impacted. 
"he geckos' habitat is rocky, with clay-gravel soil below a layer of sand. They are mostly limited to burrows and shaded areas during the day, becoming more active at dawn and dusk when the temperature is more to their liking. Laying low." 
Source: 
https://animals.sand...ocky,Laying low.

Edited by StrickyAnts, March 16 2021 - 9:12 AM.

• Toasterofdoom likes this

#46 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:14 AM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

There is so much misinformation on this thread alone, so I will try to correct everything.

1) Sand does not cause Impaction itself

While yes, using pure sand is bad, it is perfectly fine in a topsoil sand mix. Impaction is almost always caused by incorrect husbandry, most often by incorrect temps. And no, GoHerping is not a reliable source and a very bad Reptile youtuber.

2) Correct Substrates

Topsoil/Sand/clay mix is the best substrate you can give your leos. it allows digging, holds structures well and does not cause impaction (see above). The clay isn't necessary, only preferred as it helps holding structures. Stay away from Calcisand, Walnut Shells, Repticarpet, stuff like that. Now I see Repticarpet recommend here, but it is actually one of the worst. Claws and teeth can get stuck in it, it cannot be cleaned easily, it can build up harmful bacteria, and does not allow digging. And also, Eco earth (coco fiber) is not a good substrate. It is very dusty and does not hold structures that well. If you really are afraid of using loose sub, at least use Tile or Paper Towels. Just be aware that they too can cause joint issues in the long run.

3) Uth sucks

Under Tank heating sucks for the following reasons: It is not natural (heat comes from above), it does not create a proper heat gradient, and it only produces FIR light which cannot penetrate the skin and therefore not heat your gecko properly. Now you may want to argue that heat coming from below is natural for leos since they only come out at night, but leos will actually crypto bask in the day if given the opportunity.This is why you should always use overhead lighting, for any reptile. Also you should always provide UV light, but that's another thing.

Here is one of the best care guides there is for leos, its based on experience and actual research: https://reptifiles.c...ard-gecko-care/

• TennesseeAnts, B_rad0806, Spazmops and 1 other like this

#47 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:21 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

There is so much misinformation on this thread alone, so I will try to correct everything.

While yes, using pure sand is bad, it is perfectly fine in a topsoil sand mix. Impaction is almost always caused by incorrect husbandry, most often by incorrect temps. And no, GoHerping is not a reliable source and a very bad Reptile youtuber.

2) Correct Substrates

Topsoil/Sand/clay mix is the best substrate you can give your leos. it allows digging, holds structures well and does not cause impaction (see above). The clay isn't necessary, only preferred as it helps holding structures. Stay away from Calcisand, Walnut Shells, Repticarpet, stuff like that. Now I see Repticarpet recommend here, but it is actually one of the worst. Claws and teeth can get stuck in it, it cannot be cleaned easily, it can build up harmful bacteria, and does not allow digging. And also, Eco earth (coco fiber) is not a good substrate. It is very dusty and does not hold structures that well. If you really are afraid of using loose sub, at least use Tile or Paper Towels. Just be aware that they too can cause joint issues in the long run.

3) Uth sucks

Under Tank heating sucks for the following reasons: It is not natural (heat comes from above), it does not create a proper heat gradient, and it only produces FIR light which cannot penetrate the skin and therefore not heat your gecko properly. Now you may want to argue that heat coming from below is natural for leos since they only come out at night, but leos will actually crypto bask in the day if given the opportunity.This is why you should always use overhead lighting, for any reptile. Also you should always provide UV light, but that's another thing.

Here is one of the best care guides there is for leos, its based on experience and actual research: https://reptifiles.c...ard-gecko-care/

I’ve personally seen topsoil/sand mix causing an impaction...

Almost every loose substrate can cause an impaction. 

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, March 16 2021 - 9:22 AM.

#48 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:23 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I said I was going to use rocks...

slate)

#49 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:24 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I said I was going to use rocks...

slate)

Oh yea, I was responding to Toasterofdoom

#50 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:26 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Oh

when I loom up pics for slate in gecko tanks, it actually looks pretty good. I think the slate will be good.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#51 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:33 AM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

2) Correct Substrates

3) Uth sucks

Like I said, Impaction is caused by Improper husbandry. It is almost never the fault of the substrate, especially not a Topsoil/sand mix.

#52 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:37 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

2) Correct Substrates

3) Uth sucks

Like I said, Impaction is caused by Improper husbandry. It is almost never the fault of the substrate, especially not a Topsoil/sand mix.

I’m a little confused, to say the least. How does improper husbandry cause the gecko to lick its surrounds, ingesting soil and getting impacted?

Oh, never mind lol. You said impaction isn’t caused by substrate. I’m really confused at this point. If impaction isn’t caused by substrate, what is it caused by?

#53 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:42 AM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

2) Correct Substrates

3) Uth sucks

I’m a little confused, to say the least. How does improper husbandry cause the gecko to lick its surrounds, ingesting soil and getting impacted?

Oh, never mind lol. You said impaction isn’t caused by substrate. I’m really confused at this point. If impaction isn’t caused by substrate, what is it caused by?

Sorry I should have explained it better, that's my bad. Your leo can only get Impacted if it does not receive the proper temps, proper food supplements etc. Only then loose substrate cause Impaction, but that is more of the keepers fault than the gecko licking substrate. But Impaction can also happen on hard sub, by feeders for example. Topsoil/sand mix is easily digestible by a healthy gecko. 

• TennesseeAnts and Swirlysnowflake like this

#54 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted March 16 2021 - 9:52 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

2) Correct Substrates

3) Uth sucks

toaster to the rescue, also fyi this is a ant forum, not much of a reptile one. Misinfo is very common with herps here

#55 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 16 2021 - 10:08 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

2) Correct Substrates

3) Uth sucks

toaster to the rescue, also fyi this is a ant forum, not much of a reptile one. Misinfo is very common with herps here

but still, thanks to toaster of doom for all the information!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#56 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 16 2021 - 10:38 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

2) Correct Substrates

3) Uth sucks

but still, thanks to toaster of doom for all the information!

Yeah. but off topic posts are part of this also, but this is mostly ants. I just found out today that you can post about your bees!(if you have any. I don't).

#57 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 16 2021 - 6:07 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Why did I hear something like this from Toaster: keep your gecko on sand! If it licks the sand you are not keeping it properly!

Like, seriously? Also, leos live on limestone rocks in the wild, so a rough tile would probably be the best substrate for them. On a side note, I have had my leo on a UTH since like 2009 with no issues whatsoever.

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 16 2021 - 6:08 PM.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#58 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted March 16 2021 - 7:25 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

he said a sand mix, not pure sand, also he linked a careguide that is the most accurate 
he ALSO listed reasons

Edited by StrickyAnts, March 16 2021 - 7:25 PM.

#59 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 17 2021 - 4:01 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I was going to use tiles.

#60 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 17 2021 - 8:35 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Ok i ordered the slate it should be here soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users