• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antcatcherpro3's Leopard gecko

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 17 2021 - 9:34 AM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Why did I hear something like this from Toaster: keep your gecko on sand! If it licks the sand you are not keeping it properly!

Like, seriously? Also, leos live on limestone rocks in the wild, so a rough tile would probably be the best substrate for them. On a side note, I have had my leo on a UTH since like 2009 with no issues whatsoever.

I did not say that. I said to keep it on a Topsoil/Sand mix. The gecko can lick the dirt safely with the right temperatures. Also, geckos do burrow, so tile is not the absolute best substrate. 

#62 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 17 2021 - 9:43 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Why did I hear something like this from Toaster: keep your gecko on sand! If it licks the sand you are not keeping it properly!

Like, seriously? Also, leos live on limestone rocks in the wild, so a rough tile would probably be the best substrate for them. On a side note, I have had my leo on a UTH since like 2009 with no issues whatsoever.

I did not say that. I said to keep it on a Topsoil/Sand mix. The gecko can lick the dirt safely with the right temperatures. Also, geckos do burrow, so tile is not the absolute best substrate.
Temperature doesn’t affect whether or not an organism can eat something it isn’t supposed to. That’s not how the digestive system works. Sure heat speeds up the digestive process, but you can’t eat a rock on a hot day and expect to digest it.

#63 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 17 2021 - 9:47 AM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Temperature doesn’t affect whether or not an organism can eat something it isn’t supposed to. That’s not how the digestive system works. Sure heat speeds up the digestive process, but you can’t eat a rock on a hot day and expect to digest it.

They can pass the substrate safely with the right temps because they can only properly digest things by being heated properly. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#64 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 17 2021 - 10:50 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

There is right temp.

#65 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted March 17 2021 - 11:03 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

There won't be a rock in the cage? Also, yes it does. 

Edited by StrickyAnts, March 17 2021 - 11:04 AM.

#66 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 17 2021 - 11:07 AM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

There is right temp.

Then youre ready to go for loose substrate, or go with the tile. But you should at least add a dig box (60/40 topsoil sand mix) to add enrichment.

#67 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 17 2021 - 11:09 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

ok. i'm going with tile.

#68 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 17 2021 - 11:15 AM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

ok. i'm going with tile.

That works too. Also, i noticed that you only have one hide (that's also too big). Leos need at least 3 hides, a warm hide, a moist hide, and a cool hide. May I ask how big you enclosure is? It does look rather small, but I'm bad at guessing sizes. 

• Kaelwizard likes this

#69 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 17 2021 - 11:54 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

If you already saw my question, I get why you did and I get that some things needed to be cleared up.

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 17 2021 - 12:03 PM.

#70 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:04 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I have 2 hides. One on the cold side and one on the warm. 

#71 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:05 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

ok. i'm going with tile.

That works too. Also, i noticed that you only have one hide (that's also too big). Leos need at least 3 hides, a warm hide, a moist hide, and a cool hide. May I ask how big you enclosure is? It does look rather small, but I'm bad at guessing sizes. 

Why three hides? I just moisturize one when Kaimen is in shed. I don't think I have space for another one, but maybe when we redecorate his enclosure...

#72 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:05 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

My enclousre is big enough.

#73 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:14 PM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

ok. i'm going with tile.

Why three hides? I just moisturize one when Kaimen is in shed. I don't think I have space for another one, but maybe when we redecorate his enclosure...

that works too I suppose, but sometimes a gecko can go in shed when you for example aren't home for that week, so its better to have a moist hide just in case.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#74 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:18 PM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

"Big enough" can mean a lot of things, as people still believe that 10 gallons is enough. The recommended minimum is 40 gallons.

#75 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:18 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

ok. i'm going with tile.

that works too I suppose, but sometimes a gecko can go in shed when you for example aren't home for that week, so its better to have a moist hide just in case.

I'll keep it in mind.

#76 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:22 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

"Big enough" can mean a lot of things, as people still believe that 10 gallons is enough. The recommended minimum is 40 gallons.

I think mine might actually be in a 10 gallon. I had a 40 gallon for my beardie (that we gave to a rescue) but my brother uses it for his blue tongue. I can positively say that it hasn't stunted his growth or anything. He is probably slightly longer than some I have seen in larger tanks.

#77 Offline Toasterofdoom - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:43 PM

Toasterofdoom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I think mine might actually be in a 10 gallon. I had a 40 gallon for my beardie (that we gave to a rescue) but my brother uses it for his blue tongue. I can positively say that it hasn't stunted his growth or anything. He is probably slightly longer than some I have seen in larger tanks.

A 40 gallon is too small for a beardie and a bts, they both need 120 gallons. Like with leos, reptifiles ( https://reptifiles.com) has a good care guide on them (yes I love that site lmao).

Edited by Toasterofdoom, March 17 2021 - 12:47 PM.

#78 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 17 2021 - 12:59 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

A 40 gallon is too small for a beardie and a bts, they both need 120 gallons. Like with leos, reptifiles ( https://reptifiles.com) has a good care guide on them (yes I love that site lmao).

Well, it is simply impossible for me to provide that for them. I'm sorry if you hate me for it lol, but I don't have a choice in the matter.

He is actually in a 15 gallon, but that isn't much of an improvement.

Edited by Kaelwizard, March 17 2021 - 2:33 PM.

#79 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 17 2021 - 2:41 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Okkkk! I get that your giving me advice, but to me it seems that you are saying almost everything with the tank that coconut in is wrong or needs to be changed. She is in a good size tank, and I am putting slate down soon.

#80 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 18 2021 - 7:42 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Okkkk! I get that your giving me advice, but to me it seems that you are saying almost everything with the tank that coconut in is wrong or needs to be changed. She is in a good size tank, and I am putting slate down soon.

It’s becuase some things need to be fixed. A 10 gal for an adult leopard gecko is too small, please upgrade to at least a twenty. It’s hard to get a temp gradient in a 10 gallon as well...

My YouTube channel :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users