• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wanting to try this out

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 15 2021 - 8:11 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Hi all, I’m brand new to this hobby and I want to make sure I jump in correctly when I finally do so.

I’m planning on keeping pogonomyrmex occidentalis since they are by far the easiest to get ahold of and seem to be good for starting out. Would it be a good idea to maybe try keeping a collection of workers without a queen first until I feel more comfortable? I know the colony won’t grow (obviously) without a queen but I’d hate to accidentally kill a queen while I’m learning.

Also, a lot of the pre-build formicariums I’ve seen look very small is this normal? I may just be overestimating the room these ants actually need.

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 15 2021 - 8:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They need a small nest to start out and as the colony grows they need larger nests. If you want you can definitely start with some workers.

#3 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 15 2021 - 9:00 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Ok perfect, that’s what I’ll do to start then. 

#4 Offline Scherme - Posted February 15 2021 - 9:31 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

Killing queens is all part of the experience. I understand not wanting to.

I know nothing of Pogonomyrmex. I think there is a large amount of people who keep them .

THA video guide for Pogonomyrmex here.

Search through these forums, I am sure there is plenty of info. 

Good luck and Welcome

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 15 2021 - 10:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think there are a lot easier species to start with than Pogonomyrmex, though they can be easily shipped.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 15 2021 - 10:14 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I think there are a lot easier species to start with than Pogonomyrmex, though they can be easily shipped.

I’ve heard the same from a couple of other people, hopefully they aren’t *too* difficult. The main reason I chose them is because it’s easy to ship them from pretty much anywhere. That and I just think they look kind of cool  :D

I’ve been browsing the forums all day I’m very happy I found this place because all the information can be pretty overwhelming. I started by looking at ant farms and ended up falling waaaaaaaay down the rabbit hole.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and azAz09 like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 15 2021 - 10:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Haha, same thing happened to me a few years ago. Welcome to the rabbit hole!

I’d recommend shelling out extra for a larger colony to boost your chances of success. I think it’s worth it in this case.

Edited by ANTdrew, February 15 2021 - 10:22 AM.

• Ants_Dakota and TestSubjectOne like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 15 2021 - 3:40 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I agree with ANTdrew. For me, every time I receive ants in the mail, the larger colonies are the only ones that survive.

#9 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 15 2021 - 6:23 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Since nuptial flights are starting in a the Norther Hemisphere of areas I also suggest that you also try to catch queens.

• Scherme likes this

#10 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 16 2021 - 2:52 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
Well I did it I ordered a starter colony and they should be here sometime soon. I ended up going with lasius niger after reading about them being super beginner friendly, here’s hoping I’m successful. I’ll be getting a queen and 10-15 workers so with any luck they'll settle in nicely. I’m sure this won’t be the last you hear from me around here.

Edited by tdlnx, February 16 2021 - 2:54 PM.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 16 2021 - 2:57 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Well I did it I ordered a starter colony and they should be here sometime soon. I ended up going with lasius niger after reading about them being super beginner friendly, here’s hoping I’m successful. I’ll be getting a queen and 10-15 workers so with any luck they'll settle in nicely. I’m sure this won’t be the last you hear from me around here.

Lasius niger is European. You can't get them in Indiana. May I ask where you are purchasing them from? I'm guessing when they realize where you are from they will cancel it.

#12 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 16 2021 - 3:12 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Maybe it is Lasius neoniger?

#13 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 3:12 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Lasius niger is European. You can't get them in Indiana. May I ask where you are purchasing them from? I'm guessing when they realize where you are from they will cancel it.

Either that, or its a scam...

just remember that there are laws that you can't buy ants from outside of your state, and also research if that species actually exists in your state. this can help prevent any scams or mistakes in buying, and can also discourage illegal activity.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#14 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 16 2021 - 3:55 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

If it does not work out, than you can either catch your own queen ant, or you could just buy from people here or formiculture, or the GAN project. Both of those allow you to buy from sellers in your state.

Edited by gs5248, February 16 2021 - 3:56 PM.

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 16 2021 - 6:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
May be one of those illegal sellers on Etsy or eBay.

#16 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 16 2021 - 6:28 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

May be one of those illegal sellers on Etsy or eBay.

yes I was also thinking that

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#17 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 17 2021 - 6:37 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
Well crap it looks like I might have made a mistake then..

#18 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 17 2021 - 6:43 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
Yep I messed up, I didn’t realize what I was ordering. I’m going to cancel the order now and just wait.

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 17 2021 - 7:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You're doing the right thing, and I commend you for it. If you wait a bit, nuptial flights will be here soon enough. I'd look into the GAN project and connect with members on here from your state. CatsandAnts is one member from Jasper, IN that could help you out, but he tends to hibernate from the forum during the winter.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#20 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 17 2021 - 7:27 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Once this snow clears a little I may have to try to find a queen or two myself. It seems like that's pretty much the norm anyway so if I'm getting in to the hobby I might as well "get in" to it right? :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users