• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wanting to try this out

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 18 2021 - 6:46 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I placed a new order for a colony of formica subsericea from Tar Heel Ants (and this time double checked the legality of it all) and they will hopefully be here soon. These gals look pretty cool so I’m happy about that.

Has anyone here raised a colony of these gals and have any tips or “I wish I had known...” advice? I’ve been reading everything I can get my hands on about them in order to get prepared.

Edited by tdlnx, February 18 2021 - 6:47 AM.

• MinigunL5 and Antkeeper01 like this

#22 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted February 18 2021 - 7:01 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
  1. They are sensitive ants
  2. they like sugar
  3. they love fruit flies and mealworms
  4. use a mini hearth for their first nest
  5. mostly use tarheelants products until they get around max colony size.

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this
We don’t talk about that

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 18 2021 - 9:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Care for Formica is pretty standard. I have a very closely related species to the one you have that you can read about in my journal.
The main thing to keep in mind is that they are very timid and cautious. They spray formic acid when frightened (hence the name!), so any formicarium you use needs to be able to absorb that. A THA mini-hearth would work great. Mine are thriving in a soil nest, but the sacrifice there is visibility. Mostly you’ll need a lot of patience with these, but the pay off is worth it. At least that’s what I’m telling myself!
  • Scherme likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 19 2021 - 9:58 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Looking at the best way to provide the ants water, would something similar to gel be ok or should it be avoided? I’ve kept crickets before using Fluker’s Cricket Quencher to hydrate them, but I don’t know if that’s a good idea for ants or not.

If that doesn’t work I’m thinking the “test tube and cotton stopper” method is probably the best.

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 19 2021 - 10:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

If you keep them in the standard test tube setup, they can get all the water they need right from the cotton. If you have them in any other kind of formicarium, I'd recommend liquid feeders from byFormica. THA nestmates would be ideal as well if you keep them in a mini-hearth. Don't do the gel.

Edited by ANTdrew, February 19 2021 - 10:09 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#26 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 19 2021 - 10:13 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I placed a new order for a colony of formica subsericea from Tar Heel Ants (and this time double checked the legality of it all) and they will hopefully be here soon. These gals look pretty cool so I’m happy about that.

Has anyone here raised a colony of these gals and have any tips or “I wish I had known...” advice? I’ve been reading everything I can get my hands on about them in order to get prepared.

i really want to bey these maybe soon!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#27 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 19 2021 - 12:14 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

If you keep them in the standard test tube setup, they can get all the water they need right from the cotton. If you have them in any other kind of formicarium, I'd recommend liquid feeders from byFormica. THA nestmates would be ideal as well if you keep them in a mini-hearth. Don't do the gel.

Perfect, I’ll skip the gel. I may order a hearth at some point but I’m planning on putting them in a small formicarium sold by UtahAntShop. Once that arrives I’ll have a better idea of how much room I’m working with (it’s always so hard to get a real feel based on measurements/pictures online).

The colony I ordered is only coming with something like 5 workers, so they’ll likely be living in the test tube for a while before I move them anyway. 

• UtahAntShop likes this

#28 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 25 2021 - 5:57 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
The new formicarium showed up today and I really love the design. Now to try and be patient while I wait for the ants to ship.

Has anyone used a formicarium similar to this and/or have any tips?[

Attached Images

• 10FC1510-DFEE-4675-9CAE-6BF19CECB220.jpeg

• UtahAntShop and azAz09 like this

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 25 2021 - 6:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What is the nest part made of?

#30 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 25 2021 - 6:40 PM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
Not sure exactly, here are some photos with the cover off in case someone can identify it. I bought it from UtahAntShop on Etsy.

Attached Images

• 00D7EE3F-D94A-4FF2-96A9-2DD88D9294E1.jpeg
  • 4017617C-03CD-4B78-B40E-9BB477FED659.jpeg

• ANTdrew and azAz09 like this

#31 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 25 2021 - 7:02 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Really cool UtahAntShop nest! Reminds me a lot of the THA fallen fortress.

What is the nest part made of?

It is made out of gypsum plaster and concrete.

Edited by gs5248, February 25 2021 - 7:07 PM.

• UtahAntShop likes this

#32 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted February 25 2021 - 9:32 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California
Yes I’ve used these, they are made in China. They took about a month and a half to arrive, in good shape (faster from Utah Ant Shop no doubt). The outworld is very small, comparable to minihearth, room for two medium byformica feeders (one water, one sweet) and a small feeding dish. The water tower is small, but with the acrylic around the plaster evaporation is limited. I top them off every weekend. Be sure to cut down the little piece of tubing to 1cm or so and place in the outworld and nest pass through.
They aren’t nearly as visually appealing as a minihearth, more maintenance that a tub and tube, and the lid just sits on top. Decent looking and value for the price in my opinion, I’m using for a couple small Camponotus colonies and a Pogonomyrmex (until recently).

I’ve never raised a Formica species. There is no way to add ventilation to this nest the way you can with the mini hearth ports - does anyone with Formica experience think that may present a problem?

Edited by MysticNanitic, February 27 2021 - 1:55 PM.

• UtahAntShop likes this

#33 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 25 2021 - 9:46 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

I don't think it would present a problem. If they get riled up and stared spraying formic acid, the gypsum plaster and the concrete would be able to absorb it. Problems will usually only occur when formica sp. is housed in an acrylic nest.

Edited by gs5248, February 25 2021 - 9:47 PM.

#34 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 26 2021 - 3:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I don't think it would present a problem. If they get riled up and stared spraying formic acid, the gypsum plaster and the concrete would be able to absorb it. Problems will usually only occur when formica sp. is housed in an acrylic nest.

I agree with this. Just be sure to keep disturbances to a minimum. Place the nest in an area with dim light and minimum vibrations. That red screen will help you look at them without stressing them too much. As an aside, my Formica really love small insects they can drag into their nests. They go bananas for pre-frozen termites. Good luck!

#35 Offline tdlnx - Posted February 26 2021 - 11:02 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana
Awesome all good info! This is my very first attempt so fingers crossed. When the ants show up I think I’ll start a journal here as well.

#36 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 26 2021 - 11:49 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Awesome all good info! This is my very first attempt so fingers crossed. When the ants show up I think I’ll start a journal here as well.

yes. the secret to formica is to not check on them more than once a week, and to keep fresh food in their outworld at all times. Byformica feeders are good for honey and water, and with smaller colonies, they last a month. also try to feed them protein 2 or 3 times a week. that will keep the brood growing steadily. formica seem, in my opinion, to need fresh food way more often than other colonies. my camponotus can go a week without protein, and keep the larvae growing, but my formica can not. hope that helps!

• tdlnx likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#37 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 26 2021 - 3:35 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

I wish you good luck!  :D

Edited by gs5248, February 26 2021 - 3:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users