• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has Anyone Had Any Luck With Catching Prenelo With Snow?

snow prenelopis imparis prenelopis hunting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 11 2021 - 1:23 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Hallo again Formiculture,

Has anyone found any Prenelopis imparis queens with snow on the ground?  (Massachusetts especially).  This break (coming up in a few days), I might go out hunting if the snow clears up, but if anyone found queens with snow I'll go then.  Not quite sure how cold resistant they are but considering they've been found in January I wouldn't be too suprised.  I mean the more I think about it, it seems kind of stupid, but I mean they are nick named the winter ant.  To be honest I only really want Prenelo for thier repletes.  I dunno, I just want to make them have cool colour's lol.

From some random kid named Chickalo

シグナチャーです。예.

#2 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted February 11 2021 - 2:02 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

It depends on how much snow is still on the ground and temperature usually. If their nest is blocked off by snow I don’t think they’ll have flights. Usually they fly at 60°F and above which in comes at around March-April in temperate regions but in warmer places they can come out as early as February. I’d start keeping and eye on the temperature in the next few weeks. I use a website AccuWeather to get a rough estimate on when the temperature will start to rise to prime temps.

Also, nice quintuple post :D

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, February 11 2021 - 4:43 PM.

• Chickalo likes this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#3 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 11 2021 - 4:37 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Dang, a quintuple post!

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 12 2021 - 6:40 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

It depends on how much snow is still on the ground and temperature usually. If their nest is blocked off by snow I don’t think they’ll have flights. Usually they fly at 60°F and above which in comes at around March-April in temperate regions but in warmer places they can come out as early as February. I’d start keeping and eye on the temperature in the next few weeks. I use a website AccuWeather to get a rough estimate on when the temperature will start to rise to prime temps.

Also, nice quintuple post :D

Thanks!  I'll check the weather for the week today.

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline Scherme - Posted February 12 2021 - 9:01 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I have an event on my google calendar every year for sometime in the middle of March that tells me to start looking. From what I know, high 50's and 60's are the temps you wanna start looking for. And as you know, in Massachusetts, a 50-60 degree day can still have snow on the ground. 

I have events in my calendar for every species I am interested in.

here is a link to the care sheet on FC

https://www.formicul...olepis-imparis/

Edited by Scherme, February 12 2021 - 9:07 AM.

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 12 2021 - 12:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Prenolepis have been known to fly when there is frost on the ground, not snow. The only queens that can truly be found when there is snow is lasius claviger, which will sometimes venture out of their hibernation spots during the winter.
  • ANTdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow, prenelopis imparis, prenelopis, hunting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users