• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How polygynous is Pheidole pilifera

pheidole pilifera pheidole pilifera test tube queens queen pologynous this tag is useless mate

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 21 2021 - 10:58 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I wanna know how many queens i can stick together until they fight to the death

シグナチャーです。예.

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 21 2021 - 11:08 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

if you rlly wanna know, Around 4 is max before fighting in founding but as soon as workers come ¨long live the queen¨ 

even species that are poly fight with so many queens later along the line, its almost assured.

• Chickalo likes this
We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 21 2021 - 12:16 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

if you rlly wanna know, Around 4 is max before fighting in founding but as soon as workers come ¨long live the queen¨ 

even species that are poly fight with so many queens later along the line, its almost assured.

ill stick with 1-2 queens to be safe then, I've heard a nearby town called nahant is a good place to look

Edited by Chickalo, January 21 2021 - 12:16 PM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 21 2021 - 12:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Ph. pilifera aren't polygyne.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#5 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 21 2021 - 12:22 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

what an F

シグナチャーです。예.

#6 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 21 2021 - 12:23 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

https://www.formicul...lifera-journal/

and we never heard from him again-
: p

Edited by Chickalo, January 21 2021 - 12:24 PM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 21 2021 - 12:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

what an F

Yeah, sorry. :lol:

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 21 2021 - 4:03 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Pilifera found through pleometrosis at most. I would keep them separate.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 22 2021 - 4:15 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

ill stick with 1-2 queens to be safe then, I've heard a nearby town called nahant is a good place to look

I know they aren't poly, but this is just general advice for species that are actually poly. Stick with a odd number. That way if the others pair up and fight, you should be left with at least one that isn't dead or injured, unless that one also ends up being targeted.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 22 2021 - 4:17 AM.

• ANTdrew and MinigunL5 like this

#10 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 5:25 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

I know they aren't poly, but this is just general advice for species that are actually poly. Stick with a odd number. That way if the others pair up and fight, you should be left with at least one that isn't dead or injured, unless that one also ends up being targeted.

Pheidole:  Battle Royale Yeah that makes sense

シグナチャーです。예.

#11 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted January 22 2021 - 5:27 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

They're not polygynous but they are oligynous(or at least the ones Antkeeper14 caught are) so they can have multiple queens but they will fight each other. So you could have multiple queens if the colony is big enough so that that the queens won't see each other much.. So you could start a colony with 1 queen and add more queens with vinegar as the colony grows.

Edited by MinigunL5, January 22 2021 - 5:28 AM.

#12 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 5:44 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

They're not polygynous but they are oligynous(or at least the ones Antkeeper14 caught are) so they can have multiple queens but they will fight each other. So you could have multiple queens if the colony is big enough so that that the queens won't see each other much.. So you could start a colony with 1 queen and add more queens with vinegar as the colony grows.

k cool that seems to complicated just to have a multi queen colony xD

シグナチャーです。예.

#13 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted January 22 2021 - 5:48 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

It's not that complicated really. You just need some white vinegar, a big colony of Pheidole pilifera and a other P. pilifera queens.

Edited by MinigunL5, January 22 2021 - 5:48 AM.

• Chickalo likes this

#14 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 5:50 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

It's not that complicated really. You just need some white vinegar, a big colony of Pheidole pilifera and a other P. pilifera queens.

aight ill try to start a colony this year, then next year or the year after that catch some more queens to add via stanky liquid

• MinigunL5 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#15 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted January 22 2021 - 5:54 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

aight ill try to start a colony this year, then next year or the year after that catch some more queens to add via stanky liquid

I will also try it. And hopefully, since we live in the same state as Antkeeper14, our pilifera will be oligynous to.

• Chickalo likes this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 22 2021 - 6:08 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I will also try it. And hopefully, since we live in the same state as Antkeeper14, our pilifera will be oligynous to.

In order for oligyne to work, you need a larger space than just a test tube. Oligyne means that the workers will tolerate multiple queens, yet the queens will not tolerate each other, and thus the workers deliberately separate the queens into their own chambers to keep them from killing each other. So thus to keep an oligynous colony you need a multi-chambered nest.

• Chickalo likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#17 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 6:09 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

yeah, I've heard nahant is a good place for pheidole if you guys wanna go there this summer to hunt for them

シグナチャーです。예.

#18 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 6:10 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

In order for oligyne to work, you need a larger space than just a test tube. Oligyne means that the workers will tolerate multiple queens, yet the queens will not tolerate each other, and thus the workers deliberately separate the queens into their own chambers to keep them from killing each other. So thus to keep an oligynous colony you need a multi-chambered nest.

i knew there would come a time where i could use my ac test tube portals!!!!!!

シグナチャーです。예.

#19 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted January 22 2021 - 7:13 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

yeah, I've heard nahant is a good place for pheidole if you guys wanna go there this summer to hunt for them

I've already found some open places near me that might have Pheidole using soil maps but if they're not there I'll definitely check it out  (y)

#20 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 22 2021 - 7:35 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

I've already found some open places near me that might have Pheidole using soil maps but if they're not there I'll definitely check it out  (y)

this is gonna but can you tell me where that is?  if you don't its pretty understandable because you don't wanna leak where you live, but i really want pheidole, so if it ends up a pheidole-hotspot pls tell me lmao

シグナチャーです。예.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole, pilifera, pheidole pilifera, test tube, queens, queen, pologynous, this tag is useless mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users