• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Problem with THA fallen fortress

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 2:22 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

So two months ago, I ordered a THA fallen fortress. Instead I received a regular fortress. I emailed THA and they sent the nest we ordered. Today  I realized that that was defective to. My tetramorium have somehow gotten into the water tower. and about a hundred have drowned. I just find this ridiculous. I mean these formicarium total to more than a hundred dollars a piece! Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Edited by gs5248, January 19 2021 - 8:43 AM.

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 18 2021 - 2:58 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Contact Mack. I've always heard he makes things right. It would help if you could find the problem with the water tower to show him.

• Devi and gs5248 like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#3 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 3:27 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Contact Mack. I've always heard he makes things right. It would help if you could find the problem with the water tower to show him.

I have always heard that to, but I contacted him when I got the wrong nest, and he sent me a defective formicarium to make up for it.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 18 2021 - 3:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Edit: I retract the above statement. I wasn’t in a good mood when I posted it, and I don’t mean to bash THA or Mack in anyway.

Edited by ANTdrew, January 19 2021 - 3:49 AM.

• Devi likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 3:41 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Yeah, I am just really dissapointed. I have always heard that they have super great quality and customer service, but every single product that i have ordered, either comes as not the right product, or is defective.

Edited by gs5248, January 19 2021 - 8:43 AM.

#6 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 4:42 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Okay, so I emailed Mack. And he said that the problem was that i was keeping tetramorium inside a formicarium meant for larger species. I knew tetramorium was destructive, but I never knew that it was that destructive!

Edited by gs5248, January 18 2021 - 4:42 PM.

#7 Offline AleeGuy - Posted January 18 2021 - 4:47 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Yeah, I am just really dissapointed. I have always heard that they have super great quality and customer service, but every single product that i have ordered, either comes as not the right product, or is defective.

Tbh he is kind of a weird guy. His products are great, but he just don't likes people who makes somewhat similar formicariums to his.

Edited by AleeGuy, January 19 2021 - 11:45 AM.

• cocdeshijie and MinigunL5 like this

#8 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 5:11 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

I guess it is understandable to be frustrated that others are copying your idea.

#9 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 18 2021 - 5:56 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Okay, so I emailed Mack. And he said that the problem was that i was keeping tetramorium inside a formicarium meant for larger species. I knew tetramorium was destructive, but I never knew that it was that destructive!

From what I have heard, you DO have to pay attention to the ant size when ordering. It confused me the first time, too, when I was a total noob and didn't know what "small" vs "medium" vs "large" meant. But I've heard elsewhere that you DO have to order for small if you have a small species like Tetramorium.

P.S. You should see what Tetramorium does with some of the acrylic formicaria from China. They just waltz right through the gaps and go visiting everyone, esp. any species also housed in acrylic formicaria.

Oh yeah! I also had them sneaking out of a US-made competitor's formicaria. The lid wasn't totally tight-fitting in all the corners unless I was super, super, super careful every single time. Once I started using mineral oil barrier it got better, though.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, January 18 2021 - 6:08 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Manitobant, ArmyAntz and 1 other like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#10 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:21 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

From what I have heard, you DO have to pay attention to the ant size when ordering. It confused me the first time, too, when I was a total noob and didn't know what "small" vs "medium" vs "large" meant. But I've heard elsewhere that you DO have to order for small if you have a small species like Tetramorium.

P.S. You should see what Tetramorium does with some of the acrylic formicaria from China. They just waltz right through the gaps and go visiting everyone, esp. any species also housed in acrylic formicaria.

Oh yeah! I also had them sneaking out of a US-made competitor's formicaria. The lid wasn't totally tight-fitting in all the corners unless I was super, super, super careful every single time. Once I started using mineral oil barrier it got better, though.

Well, I am pretty much a total noob, I have only been ant-keeping for a year and a half. I did not realize that size mattered for containment, but I guess it does!

#11 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:25 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If they are tiny ants (like Pheidole for example), its even recommended to contact him and let him know its specifically for tiny ants. And if you are unsure if they could be considered tiny, could just send him off a message and let him know what species you plan/will use for the formicarium.

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:26 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The formicarium may not actually be defective. I’ve had tapinoma chew their way into a water tower and drown in it, and tetra are quite destructive so it’s not out of the question.

#13 Offline nurbs - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:32 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

So two months ago, I ordered a THA fallen fortress. Instead I received a cracked regular fortress. I emailed THA and they sent the nest we rodered. Today  I realized that that was defective to. My tetramorium have somehow gotten into the water tower. and about a hundred have drowned. I just find this ridiculous. I mean these formicarium total to more than a hundred dollars a piece! Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Can you take a pic of the water tower?

We had someone a few years ago that had the exact same problem. But it turned out to be user error; he was filling the water tower by puncturing the actual mesh and not using the port.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#14 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:48 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

So two months ago, I ordered a THA fallen fortress. Instead I received a cracked regular fortress. I emailed THA and they sent the nest we rodered. Today  I realized that that was defective to. My tetramorium have somehow gotten into the water tower. and about a hundred have drowned. I just find this ridiculous. I mean these formicarium total to more than a hundred dollars a piece! Does anyone know how I could fix this?

We had someone a few years ago that had the exact same problem. But it turned out to be user error; he was filling the water tower by puncturing the actual mesh and not using the port.

Actually, I e-mailed Mack, and gave me the answer. I was using the water tower correctly but some how my tetramorium managed to tunnel there way through.

The formicarium may not actually be defective. I’ve had tapinoma chew their way into a water tower and drown in it, and tetra are quite destructive so it’s not out of the question.

Yes, it was not defective, it was the ants.

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 18 2021 - 7:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It doesn’t surprise me at all that Tetramorium would do this.

Edited by ANTdrew, January 19 2021 - 3:42 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 18 2021 - 7:15 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Edited by gs5248, January 19 2021 - 6:33 PM.

#17 Offline Devi - Posted January 18 2021 - 7:21 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
I think they would slip through the glass...

#18 Offline Devi - Posted January 18 2021 - 7:29 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I'm just trying to envision how he accessed the water tower without getting swarmed? I'm confused. LOL.

Edited by Devi, January 19 2021 - 6:30 AM.

#19 Offline FSTP - Posted January 18 2021 - 9:25 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

the size options only change how the chambers are shaped.  The thread starter should not have had the issues he's had regardless of size selected. 

Edited by FSTP, January 18 2021 - 9:36 PM.

#20 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 18 2021 - 9:30 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

the size options only change how the chambers are shaped.  The thread starter should have had the issues he's had regardless of size selected. 

Well like I said, if the buyer lets tarheel know the ant and if its a tiny/small ant, he is pretty good at making sure things are proper for that species. At least that is my experience. Or he may suggest a proper formicarium that is more suitable for that species, though he'd still make sure that formicarium is good for that ant. At least to the best he can.

Edited by Vendayn, January 18 2021 - 9:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users