• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

what to do when queens last worker dies and queen is refusing to lay eggs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted January 13 2021 - 9:31 AM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

hello,

my tetramorium immigrans queen came out of hibernation last night. this morning I found her last worker dead and no eggs whatsoever in the test tube. what should I do? is there any way to save her? 

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 13 2021 - 9:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Feed her. Then hope she'll recover.

#3 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted January 13 2021 - 9:41 AM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

I've tried that she is refusing to eat as well

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 13 2021 - 10:17 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Heat her as well. Sometimes ants need heat to lay after hibernation. Also I hate to say this but in my experience collapsed colonies have a very high mortality rate and rarely survive, as the queen doesn’t have the ability to found again.
  • TennesseeAnts, Chickalo and Moonant01 like this

#5 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 13 2021 - 10:39 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Heat her as well. Sometimes ants need heat to lay after hibernation. Also I hate to say this but in my experience collapsed colonies have a very high mortality rate and rarely survive, as the queen doesn’t have the ability to found again.

heating can also make the brood grow faster meaning more workers faster.

シグナチャーです。예.

#6 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 13 2021 - 11:14 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

hello,

my tetramorium immigrans queen came out of hibernation last night. this morning I found her last worker dead and no eggs whatsoever in the test tube. what should I do? is there any way to save her? 

You can try to feed her and heat her, but sadly it is likely it won't work. I had the same experience last year, I tried everything, but the queen still died.

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 13 2021 - 8:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
As manitobant said, its rare for a queen to recover after she loses all her workers. The best thing to do is give her some pupae and workers from a wild colony and hope she rebounds.
  • Moonant01 likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 14 2021 - 3:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I recommend putting your energy toward finding a new queen this year. This one has been struggling for months now.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users