• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What should I put my ants in for hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Redmoth27 - Posted January 3 2021 - 12:07 PM

Redmoth27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I originally had it be a cold room but the temperature changed from 13 c to 15 c so that's not viable. What can I use to keep them cold?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 3 2021 - 12:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Refrigerator
  • MinigunL5 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AleeGuy - Posted January 3 2021 - 1:08 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
garage, attic, basement, fridge, mini fridge, wine cooler, burry under ground
  • ANTdrew and MinigunL5 like this

#4 Offline steelplant - Posted January 3 2021 - 3:51 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It does depend on the species, as some need different temperatures, depending on species and location. What are they, where did they come from, where are you?

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 3 2021 - 4:01 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

don't keep them too cold, or they will die. in south dakota, i have learned that lesson...

• MinigunL5 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted January 3 2021 - 5:26 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Shove them in your fridge. As long as it's not freezing in there they'll probably survive.

#7 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted January 4 2021 - 9:07 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
I keep mine in my basement in a spot where nobody goes so they’ll remain undisturbed all winter. You could also put them in a refrigerator or if it’s not too cold outside in your garage.
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#8 Offline gs5248 - Posted January 11 2021 - 12:57 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

You could put them in the fridge at the highest temperature possible.

#9 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 11 2021 - 12:58 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

burry under ground

Is this really something people do? I can think of a billion ways something could go wrong

My YouTube channel :)

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 11 2021 - 1:20 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

burry under ground

Is this really something people do? I can think of a billion ways something could go wrong

if i don't get a mini fridge next year, i will probably do it!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2021 - 1:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

burry under ground

This is an idea I’ve put forward for folks who have no other option. It would basically entail making a mini root cellar deep enough to where temps stay above freezing year round. It would be a lot of work.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#12 Offline AleeGuy - Posted January 11 2021 - 2:17 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

burry under ground

This is an idea I’ve put forward for folks who have no other option. It would basically entail making a mini root cellar deep enough to where temps stay above freezing year round. It would be a lot of work.
ya, I got that idea from ANTdrew. You have to seal them though so other creatures won't go in there. They will have enough air for several months(even years if we won't think about food, humidity, etc.) if the sealed thing they are in is "tightly" filled/inflated with air and is like a size of a party balloon.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2021 - 3:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, I got the idea reading a book on food preservation techniques. In my climate, I’d dig a pit maybe three feet deep (you’d have to go way deeper in colder climates). I’d line the pit with a thick layer of straw. I’d put the formicariums inside a cooler with more straw on top. Last step would be to make a sturdy wood door with a thick layer of sod on top. Like I said, a lot of work. This is all pure conjecture.

#14 Offline buglover123 - Posted January 13 2021 - 11:05 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Best bet is to find a wine cooler off craigslist. It's what I did, it was cheap and I can set the temperature exactly to what I need to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users