• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formicarium ideas found on google

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 9:57 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Yes, this is a link for 3d printing formicariums. Since I was interested in 3d printing formicariums, i searched up on the web and this came up. i'm not sure if its good, but hopefully people can use this.

https://www.yeggi.com/q/formicarium/

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 12 2021 - 2:12 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Cool! If I ever got a 3D printer I would try some of these.

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted January 12 2021 - 2:35 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

I've printed some of these, some of them work and some don't. You really just have to try it. The ones that do work are very cool. I would recommend printing small nests as some of these are huge. And make sure your filament is non-toxic.

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 3:12 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

I've printed some of these, some of them work and some don't. You really just have to try it. The ones that do work are very cool. I would recommend printing small nests as some of these are huge. And make sure your filament is non-toxic.

interesting! i don't have a 3d printer, YET. i will get one hopefully if I can save money next season (that's a lot of catching and selling ants)

Ants I am keeping:

#5 Offline Jakerobs - Posted January 12 2021 - 4:17 PM

Jakerobs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUtah

I've found I have the most fun designing my own stuff. But hey, that's just my opinion. ‍

If you want to try designing your own stuff, try Tinkercad. It's simple, free and a quick learning curve. 

Edited by Jakerobs, January 12 2021 - 4:19 PM.

• Swirlysnowflake and antsandmore like this

#6 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 12 2021 - 4:36 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

I've found I have the most fun designing my own stuff. But hey, that's just my opinion. ‍

If you want to try designing your own stuff, try Tinkercad. It's simple, free and a quick learning curve. 

ya I definitely want to try designing my own. the only problem is that i still have some time to go.

do you think you can make custom 3d printed formicariums and sell them?

• Scherme and Ants_Dakota like this

Ants I am keeping:

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted January 12 2021 - 6:42 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

ya I definitely want to try designing my own. the only problem is that i still have some time to go.

you can make and sell anything as long as someone wants it! you will need to come up with a unique idea for them, though.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline Scherme - Posted January 13 2021 - 3:14 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

I plan to sell mine. I have designed and printed my own. Currently my tetras have been living in one for months.

That was version 1 of the nest though, we are currently wrapping up design on version 2 as well as a mini version of the nest. Once version 2 is complete, I plan on putting my Camponotus into the full size versions and my lasius in to the mini. Then I will put a few extra together and put them up for sale and see what type of response I get. 

• ANTdrew likes this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#9 Offline Scherme - Posted January 13 2021 - 3:34 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

There are some interesting designs on that site I wouldn't mind trying tho. I have printed one of them but never cut the glass or put it together. I suppose I should

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users