• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The species best suited for captivity

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: The species best suited for captivity (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree or disagree with my opinion?

1. Voted Agree (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

2. Disagree (19 votes [65.52%])

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 7 2020 - 1:49 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I absolutely disagree that Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are the perfect ant for captivity. Not even close.

They have a sting, and not one to scoff at. They're also very aggressive. For an inexperienced keeper stings may be commonplace when cleaning outworlds or moving colonies to new formicaria.
They have a specialized diet. Seeds are one of the easier specialized diets to support, but it's still something that needs to be considered by the keeper.
They have extremely small social stomachs, meaning that feedings need to be consistent and frequent. The only way this is partially negated is with a healthy seed cache in the nest, and even that's not perfect.
Being from a primarily temperate climate, they may require a period of diapause that may be difficult for inexperienced keepers. Sometimes they can keep going through the winter with heating, but this is not consistent.
Being the only deregulated species, they have a far wider market of buyers, so prices are able to be increased drastically to match the demand.
Queens are semiclaustral, which may cause issues for a beginner antkeeper if catching or purchasing a solo queen.
They have a restricted distribution. For keepers in the east the only option is to purchase a likely overpriced colony.
Being unable to grip smooth surfaces, many formicaria, particularly acrylic are unsuitable for these ants. This is a huge downside since many cheap formicaria that appeal to inexperienced keepers are acrylic.
These ants require heat. Heating a colony may seem trivial for an experienced keeper, but an inexperienced keeper may overheat a colony or cause flooding with improper use of a heating cable or mat.

In my opinion, something like a Lasius species or Pheidole (specifically bicarinata and pilifera) are much better.

The former Lasius are easy to catch, and while diapause may be difficult, other than that they are very easy. They have a generalist diet and don't require any heating or special formicaria.
The latter Pheidole may be more difficult to catch, however their extremely widespread distribution means they can be caught in almost every state. They are extremely easy, and while they like seeds, they aren't totally necessary. They also don't require hibernation and grow fast, meaning they are very rewarding to keep.

I would say something like a Camponotus species is a contender, but their slow growth can be discouraging to keepers, and also colonies seem fragile in the wrong hands. Still, better than Pogonomyrmex by a long shot.

• AnthonyP163, NickAnter, Somethinghmm and 6 others like this

#22 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 7 2020 - 1:53 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I agree with everything you just said.

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 2:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I agree with Pheidole, but Lasius are extremely slow growing.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted December 7 2020 - 2:10 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I agree with Pheidole, but Lasius are extremely slow growing.

Why is slow growing a bad thing.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#25 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 7 2020 - 2:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Linepithema humile are best suited for captivity, you cannot argue with that  :lol: They're boring, drab, invasive, but they get the biggest colonies in captivity and are extraordinarily easy to maintain.

#26 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 2:48 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Linepithema humile are best suited for captivity, you cannot argue with that  :lol: They're boring, drab, invasive, but they get the biggest colonies in captivity and are extraordinarily easy to maintain.

Except for the part when they escape and kill all your other colonies  ;)

My YouTube channel :)

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 2:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Good point. I think that Tetras are better due to that fact: they aren't escape artists, Argentines most certainly are.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#28 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 7 2020 - 3:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,413 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I agree with Tetramorium. The only cons with them is small size and the fact that they can do *too* well and overwhelm a keeper’s ability to keep up with them. Watching a huge colony decimate a food source is awe inspiring.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#29 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 7 2020 - 3:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Good point. I think that Tetras are better due to that fact: they aren't escape artists, Argentines most certainly are.
i think he was being sarcastic about argentines being the best ant.

#30 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 7 2020 - 4:32 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

i think he was being sarcastic about argentines being the best ant.

Not at all! Argentines are actually very easy to contain if you take the proper precautions. An upside down fluon barrier + a lid basically eliminates chances of escape as long as your nest is structurally secure. I've kept colonies in a tiny petri dish before, didn't even need a lid as the walls were completely coated in fluon. Of course, they still suck, but they're certainly the ant best adapted to captive conditions. 

#31 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 7 2020 - 5:35 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I’d say Tetramorium are better suited. Their diet is wider, they’re even less picky about food than Pogonomyrmex, they grow faster too, and they can’t sting humans.

You've never been stung by Tetramorium?

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#32 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 7 2020 - 5:40 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I absolutely disagree that Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are the perfect ant for captivity. Not even close.

They have a sting, and not one to scoff at. They're also very aggressive. For an inexperienced keeper stings may be commonplace when cleaning outworlds or moving colonies to new formicaria.
They have a specialized diet. Seeds are one of the easier specialized diets to support, but it's still something that needs to be considered by the keeper.
They have extremely small social stomachs, meaning that feedings need to be consistent and frequent. The only way this is partially negated is with a healthy seed cache in the nest, and even that's not perfect.
Being from a primarily temperate climate, they may require a period of diapause that may be difficult for inexperienced keepers. Sometimes they can keep going through the winter with heating, but this is not consistent.
Being the only deregulated species, they have a far wider market of buyers, so prices are able to be increased drastically to match the demand.
Queens are semiclaustral, which may cause issues for a beginner antkeeper if catching or purchasing a solo queen.
They have a restricted distribution. For keepers in the east the only option is to purchase a likely overpriced colony.
Being unable to grip smooth surfaces, many formicaria, particularly acrylic are unsuitable for these ants. This is a huge downside since many cheap formicaria that appeal to inexperienced keepers are acrylic.
These ants require heat. Heating a colony may seem trivial for an experienced keeper, but an inexperienced keeper may overheat a colony or cause flooding with improper use of a heating cable or mat.

In my opinion, something like a Lasius species or Pheidole (specifically bicarinata and pilifera) are much better.

The former Lasius are easy to catch, and while diapause may be difficult, other than that they are very easy. They have a generalist diet and don't require any heating or special formicaria.
The latter Pheidole may be more difficult to catch, however their extremely widespread distribution means they can be caught in almost every state. They are extremely easy, and while they like seeds, they aren't totally necessary. They also don't require hibernation and grow fast, meaning they are very rewarding to keep.

I would say something like a Camponotus species is a contender, but their slow growth can be discouraging to keepers, and also colonies seem fragile in the wrong hands. Still, better than Pogonomyrmex by a long shot.

All very good points. In my opinion, a diet of fresh insects is more specialized than seeds, seeing as chia seeds and many other types can be found at most grocery stores. I guess my criteria were what species requires the least amount of maintenance, and out of my (admittedly, limited) collection P. occidentalis are the ants that I worry least about, because as long as they have a seed store they're eating well. 

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#33 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 6:17 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I’d say Tetramorium are better suited. Their diet is wider, they’re even less picky about food than Pogonomyrmex, they grow faster too, and they can’t sting humans.

I've not. Does it hurt?

#34 Offline Devi - Posted December 7 2020 - 6:23 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
I knew as soon as this post went out we'd hear Cheetos two-sense. Lol. While those are valid points, most of them are pointed towards beginners with not much experience. So, I'd say they aren't great for beginners, but thoroughly enjoyed by experienced antkeepers looking for an active colony and a bit of a challenge. This is one of the reasons I'm so excited about getting Pogonomyrmex. I would say the ideal species for beginners, is probably tetramorium. Easy to find, no crazy needs, easy to feed, they don't have a picky diet, they can't bite, (very hard that is) and they grow very fast. The only cons to tetras are that they are kinda small, and they can grow too fast for beginner antkeepers. I wouldn't heat tetras unless you wanted 383846 in a week... anyway, I think this is a great thread to share personal preferences, and share our opinions on!

Edited by Devi, December 7 2020 - 6:23 PM.

#35 Offline Devi - Posted December 7 2020 - 6:26 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

All very good points. In my opinion, a diet of fresh insects is more specialized than seeds, seeing as chia seeds and many other types can be found at most grocery stores. I guess my criteria were what species requires the least amount of maintenance, and out of my (admittedly, limited) collection P. occidentalis are the ants that I worry least about, because as long as they have a seed store they're eating well.

Also keep in mind that Pogonomyrmex don't just eat seeds... while this is a large part of their diet, they require occasional sugary treats, as well as a LIVE insect or two for large colonies. They can't thrive with just seeds... this is another thing that could be hard to doing you are a beginner, finding these specific foods.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#36 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 6:36 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

two-sense. 

two cents :)

not to be a grammar Nazi lol. its just a commonly misspelled phrase 

#37 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 7 2020 - 6:56 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
In my opinion brachymyrmex patagonicus is probably one of the ants best suited to captivity. They're small, fully claustral, have small colonies, don't bite or sting and don't hibernate. They also aren't very good at escaping for their size and can live in just about any nest. We have even been able to do things with them in captivity that they don't do in the wild, such as polygynous colonies.

#38 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 7 2020 - 7:01 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

If we're talking experienced keepers, the best genus to keep is Atta. Without question. They're fully claustral, have a wide diet that is usually easy to maintain, and are very intelligent ants. They're easy to limit the growth and colony size of, and aren't sensitive to humidity. Their setups are extremely easy to make, and at a large size don't even need a substrate in their nest to maintain humidity, as the moisture from the leaves they cut alone is enough. The biggest thing with them is they can be sensitive to temperature, especially heat. Other than overheating they're extremely difficult to kill and very easy to keep.

• TennesseeAnts, Somethinghmm, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#39 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 7:05 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

it hurts a little, but callouses have stopped me from feeling their full power...

• TennesseeAnts and Swirlysnowflake like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#40 Offline Devi - Posted December 7 2020 - 7:49 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

two-sense.

two cents :)
not to be a grammar Nazi lol. its just a commonly misspelled phrase

If we're talking experienced keepers, the best genus to keep is Atta. Without question. They're fully claustral, have a wide diet that is usually easy to maintain, and are very intelligent ants. They're easy to limit the growth and colony size of, and aren't sensitive to humidity. Their setups are extremely easy to make, and at a large size don't even need a substrate in their nest to maintain humidity, as the moisture from the leaves they cut alone is enough. The biggest thing with them is they can be sensitive to temperature, especially heat. Other than overheating they're extremely difficult to kill and very easy to keep.

It's actually really funny because that's what I thought it was but then autocorrect corrected it to two lane, so I thought it had to be the other one. Lol

And yes Cheeto, I would absolutely love to keep Atta. Maybe one day I'll be able to get a permit or something...
  • CheetoLord02, Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users