• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Novomessor? Ants_Dakota? Ant nests? Confusing?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 12:05 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

that design sounds good :) just curious, how large do novomessor colonies get?
also, if kitsantsva is getting them illegally, they know the risks and they know they’ll get fined or whatever if caught. let them do whatever they want, in the end its their problem :P

I believe in the thousands which is crazy for how big they are and especially for how fast they grow

Edit, why such small words ;(
New edit: Nvm.

Edited by KitsAntVa, November 12 2020 - 12:06 PM.

We don’t talk about that

#22 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 12 2020 - 12:07 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

please do not take this judgmentally, but it makes things really not sound good when you don't reveal if you have a permit. all you would need to do is say you have a permit, and it would be legal. all i are trying to do is keep antkeeping as lawful and enjoyable as i can, so we can continue our hobby in peace. not to mention try to get prenolepis imparis legal to ship faster. again, i am not trying to be judgemental or busting into your privacy, but as your antkeeping friend, please don't do anything illegal. 
Ants_Dakota

Uwu

-Kit

on a better note, that design you are talking about is similar to what i am designing with the AntsDakota Desktop.

The phalanx? Glad to hear ants Dakota is still working hard. I forgot to say, I resign from nest making. Sorry because of the virus and moving I cannot make them anymore.

well, the connect-ability of nests specifically. my nests will feature the ability to expand the formicarium without having to replace the outworld. i am not working on them super hard right now, because of the cold temps and my supplies are outside, but i am still planning and measuring.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#23 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 12 2020 - 12:07 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

also, if kitsantsva is getting them illegally, they know the risks and they know they’ll get fined or whatever if caught. let them do whatever they want, in the end its their problem :P

I believe in the thousands which is crazy for how big they are and especially for how fast they grow

woahhh i need to get my hands on these... i like how spiny they look lol. make a journal whenever u get them

My YouTube channel :)

#24 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 12:09 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

woahhh i need to get my hands on these... i like how spiny they look lol. make a journal whenever u get them
I plan on it and I also plan on getting approved for honeypots but not anytime soon so I can also keep those desert ants. Then one day the Pogonomyrmex will come back. Long live the Pogonomyrmex.
We don’t talk about that

#25 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 12 2020 - 12:10 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I plan on it and I also plan on getting approved for honeypots but not anytime soon so I can also keep those desert ants. Then one day the Pogonomyrmex will come back. Long live the Pogonomyrmex.

are hotpots not native to virginia? for some reason i thought they were all over the us, i really need to brush up on my knowledge of ant ranges lol

#26 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 12:11 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

please do not take this judgmentally, but it makes things really not sound good when you don't reveal if you have a permit. all you would need to do is say you have a permit, and it would be legal. all i are trying to do is keep antkeeping as lawful and enjoyable as i can, so we can continue our hobby in peace. not to mention try to get prenolepis imparis legal to ship faster. again, i am not trying to be judgemental or busting into your privacy, but as your antkeeping friend, please don't do anything illegal. 
Ants_Dakota

Uwu
-Kit

on a better note, that design you are talking about is similar to what i am designing with the AntsDakota Desktop.

The phalanx? Glad to hear ants Dakota is still working hard. I forgot to say, I resign from nest making. Sorry because of the virus and moving I cannot make them anymore.
well, the connect-ability of nests specifically. my nests will feature the ability to expand the formicarium without having to replace the outworld. i am not working on them super hard right now, because of the cold temps and my supplies are outside, but i am still planning and measuring.
I really might like it then. I hate when some of my tarheelant nests I have to remove the out world basically removing the main part and just making them have to go somewhere else. Which sometimes kills them.
We don’t talk about that

#27 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 12:12 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
This topic became very popular during a couple hours....
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this
We don’t talk about that

#28 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 12 2020 - 2:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I already have many founding nests for these, but my ultimate plan will change the world! its basically just two phalanx with two sides connected to each other which allows around 200-300 ants I think to live in it. I plan on connecting more as time goes on because these are water tower gals so what do you guys think?
Also i've been getting mixed messages, do they need hibernation or not ?

I really would not advise you go through with this. If you're caught the fine can be something like $5k. Not to mention the USDA is finally starting to trust us antkeepers with inter-state selling of ants (without needing permits that is). If you do for some reason decide to buy these ants, please, for the sake of all that is holy, don't get caught.

Edit: Also, just fyi, there's plenty of ants in VA that are very similar to Novomessor. The native Aphaenogaster are just as cool, and are legal to keep....

Edit #2: Here's a couple pictures of two ants. Can you tell which one's which?

OIP.zVdxTB5vTgaex4llpRTNyQHaFk?w=243&h=1

OIP.Mu0T_ujuTQHyqV-LqJJiFAHaFj?w=227&h=1

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, November 12 2020 - 2:10 PM.

• B_rad0806, ANTdrew, Spazmops and 1 other like this

#29 Offline Spazmops - Posted November 12 2020 - 2:10 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I wouldn't go through with this, but like Ant_Dude said don't get caught or you could potentially make the whole hobby look bad. Also, make sure you have the funds to pay the potential fine if you do go through with it.

Edit: If this is an illegal trade and you're under 18 make sure your parents know about it. If you are under 18 and get caught, they'll likely be the ones that have to pay the fine.

Edited by Spazmops, November 12 2020 - 2:14 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, B_rad0806, OhNoNotAgain and 3 others like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#30 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 12 2020 - 2:40 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

hey look! my name is in the title! 

• Swirlysnowflake and Devi like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#31 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 2:42 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
YES! Just because that’s what happened in all the confusion.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#32 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 12 2020 - 2:45 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

YES! Just because that’s what happened in all the confusion.

you are indeed correct, that was a lot of confusion

(are you trying to change the topic?)

anyway, what are we currently talking about?

#33 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 12 2020 - 2:46 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I already have many founding nests for these, but my ultimate plan will change the world! its basically just two phalanx with two sides connected to each other which allows around 200-300 ants I think to live in it. I plan on connecting more as time goes on because these are water tower gals so what do you guys think?

I really would not advise you go through with this. If you're caught the fine can be something like $5k. Not to mention the USDA is finally starting to trust us antkeepers with inter-state selling of ants (without needing permits that is). If you do for some reason decide to buy these ants, please, for the sake of all that is holy, don't get caught.

Edit: Also, just fyi, there's plenty of ants in VA that are very similar to Novomessor. The native Aphaenogaster are just as cool, and are legal to keep....

the upper one’s novomessor isn't it? its more leggy and has that big spike (which is what i like about them) 

what ant is the lower one? it looks deceivingly similar.

#34 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 12 2020 - 2:56 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I thought the main reason for the lift on P. occidentalis was to make it easier from scientists who use them, not really for ant-keepers.

#35 Offline Spazmops - Posted November 12 2020 - 3:02 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I thought the main reason for the lift on P. occidentalis was to make it easier from scientists who use them, not really for ant-keepers.

Either way I'm happy, those ants let me make back most of the money I spent on antkeeping supplies. But I think you're right, there's so few antkeepers that I'd be surprised if we got government recognition.

• Ants_Dakota, MinigunL5 and Devi like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#36 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 12 2020 - 3:07 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Either way I'm happy, those ants let me make back most of the money I spent on antkeeping supplies. But I think you're right, there's so few antkeepers that I'd be surprised if we got government recognition.

sigh. well, all i hope is that we can get prenolepis imparis to be shipped. that would be awesome! they are such a cool species.

#37 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 12 2020 - 3:11 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

sigh. well, all i hope is that we can get prenolepis imparis to be shipped. that would be awesome! they are such a cool species.

they are? my colony is the most boring ants i have ever kept, all they do is sit. and be stubborn and not move out of their test tube no matter what i do and when i finally dump them they eat 3 of their workers and their 10 pupae out of stress. i didn’t know that was a thing ants do but i saw workers latching on to others and killing them. it was creepy lol

#38 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 12 2020 - 3:12 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

well, they look cool, don't they? i always find smaller colonies way more fun than bigger colonies. and i always look up to a challenge. and honey pots in South Dakota? i'd take them any day!

#39 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted November 12 2020 - 3:18 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Please since you may be doing this illegal don't get caught please. Like everyone is saying USDA is trusting antkeepers now and can allow other ants to be able to move into diffrent  states without a permit like p occis. PLEASE don't get caught if you are doing this. 

• Devi likes this

#40 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 12 2020 - 3:22 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
I understand this also. There is no reason to further this. I’ve got all the comments unrelated to the topic anyway.
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users