• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AAK discord, their leaders and their rules

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Nanahira - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:13 AM

Nanahira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Please Join the most bestest discord ant server ever created: Ant-keeping & Ethology

- Over 670
 members 
- Hentai Channel

- That's about it

Edited by Nanahira, November 5 2020 - 11:14 AM.

• Barristan, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 2 others like this

The Ant Colony | The r/Ants discord server - https://discord.gg/c7qCmfYqYZ

#42 Offline Barristan - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:27 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany
aak7

See? Pointless to try to change anything as long as the rotten leadership still rules this server.

aak8

Edited by Barristan, November 5 2020 - 11:53 AM.

• CheetoLord02, MinigunL5 and Devi like this

#43 Offline OiledOlives - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:47 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

wdym

#44 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:58 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Well, I don't have studied AAK discord rules at university but isn't that all a violation of rule 1? Or is it fine to talk in that way about users of other forums that aren't on the AAK discord server? Or does it simply depend on who violates the rules? May the upper class of discord users there just violate these rules, while the plebs get instantly banned for minor violations?

I've heard they are now also discord partners. Maybe we should collect all similar things and report all to discord, so they can take a close look if it is still be worth being partnered with a server run by hypocrites. A quote from the discord partner rules:

Partnered servers should be an example of the best communities that Discord has to offer, and so we have a higher standard for the conversation and moderation of those servers. The following is prohibited in a partnered Discord:

• Discriminatory jokes and hate speech (attacks on an individual or group based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or disabilities)
  • Moderators or admins making verbal abuse, insults, threats towards others, or displaying offensive, derogatory, or explicit content.
  • Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behavior.
  • Selling a Partnered server or account is prohibited.

I just wanted to show you how hypocritical these people are and how they treat other people not being able to read what they talk about them.

Well you can report them if you care that much instead of making a thread here that isn't going to reach discord.

Edited by DDD101DDD, November 5 2020 - 12:01 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and OiledOlives like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#45 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 5 2020 - 12:13 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Well, I don't have studied AAK discord rules at university but isn't that all a violation of rule 1? Or is it fine to talk in that way about users of other forums that aren't on the AAK discord server? Or does it simply depend on who violates the rules? May the upper class of discord users there just violate these rules, while the plebs get instantly banned for minor violations?
I've heard they are now also discord partners. Maybe we should collect all similar things and report all to discord, so they can take a close look if it is still be worth being partnered with a server run by hypocrites. A quote from the discord partner rules:

Partnered servers should be an example of the best communities that Discord has to offer, and so we have a higher standard for the conversation and moderation of those servers. The following is prohibited in a partnered Discord:[/size]

• Discriminatory jokes and hate speech (attacks on an individual or group based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or disabilities)
  • Moderators or admins making verbal abuse, insults, threats towards others, or displaying offensive, derogatory, or explicit content.

I just wanted to show you how hypocritical these people are and how they treat other people not being able to read what they talk about them.

Well you can report them if you care that much instead of making a thread here that isn't going to reach discord.
discord won't do anything about it. They never do. The best thing to do is bring attention to what they're doing and hopefully [censored] them off in the process.

#46 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 5 2020 - 12:17 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Partnered servers should be an example of the best communities that Discord has to offer, and so we have a higher standard for the conversation and moderation of those servers. The following is prohibited in a partnered Discord:[/size]

discord won't do anything about it. They never do. The best thing to do is bring attention to what they're doing and hopefully [censored] them off in the process.

Have you tried though?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#47 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 5 2020 - 12:20 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Many people have.

#48 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 5 2020 - 12:45 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

POPULAR

I was banned from AAK just over 2 years ago for purchasing an imported Pheidole colony from somebody in-state. 1: not even illegal. 2: I never got the colony, they were dead on arrival. 3: I never said a word about it in their server whatsoever.
I've made peace with my ban, though. Even if they offered to unban me right now I would refuse. Even if I think my ban was unjust, all it did was encourage me to continue with keeping exotic ants and created one of the best groups of friends I could ever ask for.

At the same time, Mama June, aka Mdrogun here on FC, was my partner-in-crime, the guy I bought from. That summer of 2018 was the last time he ever had an exotic species in his possession. Similarly, he completely kept all of that activity out of the AAK server. His ban was probably the most justified of the situation, but still a bit farfetched.

Tbone, aka AnthonyP163 here on FC. Banned because he knew that myself and Mama June were trading exotic species between the two of us (again, both of us in the same state) and didn't tell the mod team. He was banned for not snitching on us. He has never even kept an exotic species.

There were a few other bans at the same time for people not "exposing" the "illegal traders" to the mod team, of which none of them kept exotic species themselves. Absolutely appalling. 

The main issue with that situation is that the entire thing happened entirely outside of their server. They saw it as us "hiding" whatever illegal activity from them, but in reality we were respecting their rules by keeping unwanted activity out of their server. We broke 0 of their rules within the server itself and were still banned. It was them who came to our server on alt accounts to try and dig up dirt against us. We went out of our way to preserve their "safe space" and were banned for it. There is absolutely no justification for this. 

When you create a community online for a hobby, it isn't the hobbyists responsibility to conform to your rules unless they are specifically in your platform. The number of AAK people I see come on Formiculture and blast people with exotic species is absolutely ridiculous. THE ANTS AND ANTKEEPING DISCORD IS NOT THE HOBBY. Your insanely strict and nonsensical dogma DOES NOT apply to us unless we are in your server specifically. So for the last time, STAY OUT of the business of people who are specifically avoiding your little echo chamber of a server, and STOP acting like your unjust rules apply to antkeeping as a whole and every platform associated with it. It is honestly revolting how anybody there possibly thinks it is ok to use your platform's rules as an end-all-be-all "10 commandments" of the hobby. The Ants and Antkeeping server has done NOTHING but divide this hobby and cast out those who keep exotic species, labeling them as "Illegal traders" and attempting to tarnish their reputation across all antkeeping platforms.

From the bottom of my heart, you disgust me, Ants and Antkeeping. Congratulations for continuing to divide this hobby with every message you send. Stop trying to pin the blame on us, saying "maybe you shouldn't have broken the law". Most of us didn't. Unfortunately for you you can't corrupt this entire hobby with your crooked dogma, try as you might. So stop trying, all it does is divide this already small and niche hobby. All of the current drama in the antkeeping hobby is your fault.

• Barristan, AnthonyP163, EthanNgo678 and 9 others like this

#49 Offline Spazmops - Posted November 5 2020 - 12:58 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Wow, this may be the most combative discussion I've seen since the last time the AC thread was revived (keep it dead). I never thought a Discord server could cause this much... well, discord. It seems like some rules are hypocritical and the mod team isn't great, but it is just one of many cool antkeeping Discord servers (like the one in my signature). We're all antkeepers though, and that's always common ground we can find despite politics or religion or differences in favorite ice cream flavors. I'm just stating my opinion but I think if we stepped back and tried to focus on what unites us, this discussion wouldn't have escalated so quickly. Again, just my two cents.

• Ants_Dakota and AleeGuy like this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#50 Offline Devi - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:05 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I was banned from AAK just over 2 years ago for purchasing an imported Pheidole colony from somebody in-state. 1: not even illegal. 2: I never got the colony, they were dead on arrival. 3: I never said a word about it in their server whatsoever.
I've made peace with my ban, though. Even if they offered to unban me right now I would refuse. Even if I think my ban was unjust, all it did was encourage me to continue with keeping exotic ants and created one of the best groups of friends I could ever ask for.

At the same time, Mama June, aka Mdrogun here on FC, was my partner-in-crime, the guy I bought from. That summer of 2018 was the last time he ever had an exotic species in his possession. Similarly, he completely kept all of that activity out of the AAK server. His ban was probably the most justified of the situation, but still a bit farfetched.

Tbone, aka AnthonyP163 here on FC. Banned because he knew that myself and Mama June were trading exotic species between the two of us (again, both of us in the same state) and didn't tell the mod team. He was banned for not snitching on us. He has never even kept an exotic species.

There were a few other bans at the same time for people not "exposing" the "illegal traders" to the mod team, of which none of them kept exotic species themselves. Absolutely appalling. 

The main issue with that situation is that the entire thing happened entirely outside of their server. They saw it as us "hiding" whatever illegal activity from them, but in reality we were respecting their rules by keeping unwanted activity out of their server. We broke 0 of their rules within the server itself and were still banned. It was them who came to our server on alt accounts to try and dig up dirt against us. We went out of our way to preserve their "safe space" and were banned for it. There is absolutely no justification for this. 

When you create a community online for a hobby, it isn't the hobbyists responsibility to conform to your rules unless they are specifically in your platform. The number of AAK people I see come on Formiculture and blast people with exotic species is absolutely ridiculous. THE ANTS AND ANTKEEPING DISCORD IS NOT THE HOBBY. Your insanely strict and nonsensical dogma DOES NOT apply to us unless we are in your server specifically. So for the last time, STAY OUT of the business of people who are specifically avoiding your little echo chamber of a server, and STOP acting like your unjust rules apply to antkeeping as a whole and every platform associated with it. It is honestly revolting how anybody there possibly thinks it is ok to use your platform's rules as an end-all-be-all "10 commandments" of the hobby. The Ants and Antkeeping server has done NOTHING but divide this hobby and cast out those who keep exotic species, labeling them as "Illegal traders" and attempting to tarnish their reputation across all antkeeping platforms.

From the bottom of my heart, you disgust me, Ants and Antkeeping. Congratulations for continuing to divide this hobby with every message you send. Stop trying to pin the blame on us, saying "maybe you shouldn't have broken the law". Most of us didn't. Unfortunately for you you can't corrupt this entire hobby with your crooked dogma, try as you might. So stop trying, all it does is divide this already small and niche hobby. All of the current drama in the antkeeping hobby is your fault.

My dislike has now grown for AAK.  It's interesting to see first-hand types of things like this.  Thanks Cheeto.  :)  

• Barristan, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this

#51 Offline Devi - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:06 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Interesting, soul commented on it...  For those of you who don't have Discord, (why?!?) I will post a pic of his reply.  :)

20201105_140842.jpg

Edited by Devi, November 5 2020 - 1:11 PM.

#52 Offline Condenced_M1lk - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:15 PM

Condenced_M1lk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationttg

Of Course this thread is currently also discussed on the AAK server, here some highlights:

what's the point in this? what are you trying to get across?!?

Only very few bright lights there unfortunately...

#53 Offline Condenced_M1lk - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:17 PM

Condenced_M1lk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationttg

damn that's tuff 

#54 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:17 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If someone gets banned for illegal activity, I understand. This would be so that there is a lesser chance of government regulating antkeeping further. However, if it is based on just disagreeing about something, I don't think that is particularly fair, as people are entitled to their opinions. Remember, actions speak louder than words.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#55 Offline Condenced_M1lk - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:28 PM

Condenced_M1lk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationttg

Please Join the most bestest discord ant server ever created: Ant-keeping & Ethology

- Over 670
 members 
- Hentai Channel

- That's about it

come on show the whole picture 

#56 Offline Barristan - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:32 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

I wonder on what Soul spent 1000$ to advocate people that hate them. Discord server is free, reddit is free. Hmm what else?

• Subverted likes this

#57 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Just don't use the server if you don't like it. Every group has it's flaws, major or minor. People stick to what works best for them. That applies to both sides, btw. Really no point in insulting or trying to prove wrong anyone that disagrees.

• TennesseeAnts, NickAnter, AntsDakota and 4 others like this

#58 Offline Barristan - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:52 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

But how can there be even falsely banned people, they have such a great process of handling bans:

aak9

They also have a mod application process:

aak10

Maybe just maybe one of the reason is the owner + most of the existing mods, who decide about bans, who decide who becomes new moderator...

Yep nothing is justified that points out how bad these mods are:

aak12

That is really 200 IQ:

aak11

Edited by Barristan, November 5 2020 - 2:00 PM.

• Devi likes this

#59 Offline Devi - Posted November 5 2020 - 2:01 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Just don't use the server if you don't like it. Every group has it's flaws, major or minor. People stick to what works best for them. That applies to both sides, btw. Really no point in insulting or trying to prove wrong anyone that disagrees.

Honestly, I think we should just leave it at that.  Well said Ponerinecat.

• AntsDakota likes this

#60 Offline AleeGuy - Posted November 5 2020 - 2:05 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
This argue is going 8 hours endlessly🥱. How yall not tired yet lol.

Edited by AleeGuy, November 5 2020 - 2:06 PM.

• TechAnt and Devi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users