• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Swirly’s Eusocial Wasp Journal

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:07 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

that's a great sign. I would not worry and leave them be for a while. I would be concerned if they just were just like statues.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#42 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:09 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

that's a great sign. I would not worry and leave them be for a while. I would be concerned if they just were just like statues.

ok... i literally can't even see one of them anymore. the one that was cleaning its legs has stopped. its wings are kinda tucked under its abdomen and its antennae are straight by its side should i be worried now?

I'm so scared that i hurt themmm 

My YouTube channel :)

#43 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:15 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

They probably need some time. 

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#44 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:22 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

ok so another wasp keeper just told me that this has happened before to their wasps and since it’s too cold for them to fly they just crawl around until they calm down. phew :)

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, November 5 2020 - 11:22 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#45 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 11:48 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

yay! good news- one queen has climbed back up, and is sitting back between two pieces of cardboard! hopefully the other one recovers soon. i’m planning to get the larger tanks set up today and just keep the kritter keepers inside, opening the small lid in the middle, and allowing them to come out whenever they want. 

#46 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 5 2020 - 12:10 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Sound great! Hope the other queen get back to normal :D

Currently Keeping:

#47 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:09 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

81C9D6F8-4D5D-4570-8F39-9CC4C41EEA59.jpeg

yayy both have recovered! i just got a lovely pic of a queen sipping some honey water. she is so cute  :)

um. why is it sideways. well idk how to fix that lol

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, November 5 2020 - 1:10 PM.

#48 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:11 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

ignore the dirtiness of the bowl, she kinda spread eco earth all over it so ill take it out when she’s done drinking 

#49 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:21 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

so jelly. Always wanted to raise wasps.

Currently Keeping:

#50 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:23 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

so jelly. Always wanted to raise wasps.

u can go out looking now for pre-hibernation queens! :) almost all workers are dead now, so you’ll be pretty safe. i found these two behind a metal sign on a wooden post along with like 20-30 other queens, and i actually only realized they were there because there were like 7 dead ones in the spider webs. i think polistes like to hibernate vertically, while vespula hibernate on the ground. 

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, November 5 2020 - 1:24 PM.

#51 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 5 2020 - 1:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They look dead during hibernation, I've found Vespula gynes covered in frost and curled up that go back to normal when exposed to my body heat. They're resilient insects, no need to worry about a fall unless you crushed them between the lid and the tank rim.

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

#52 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 2:02 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

i went outside to grab something from near where the wasps are and one of the queens was sitting on the glass and when i got closer she opened her mandibles and flashed her stinger at me. y i k e s 

:P

They look dead during hibernation, I've found Vespula gynes covered in frost and curled up that go back to normal when exposed to my body heat. They're resilient insects, no need to worry about a fall unless you crushed them between the lid and the tank rim.

covered in frost?! and they are still alive? wow that is cool :)

#53 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 5 2020 - 3:58 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

its amazing how different the two queens personalities are. the queen living in the blue kritter keeper (i have dubbed her the “blue box queen”) is quite aggressive, often flashing her stinger at me. The other queen, in a black kritter keeper (I've dubbed her the “black box queen”. i’m so creative with names, i know B) ) is calm, and likes to wedge herself into tiny cracks.

also someone please help me find names so that i am not forever calling them the blue box queen and the black box queen  :lol:

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, November 5 2020 - 4:05 PM.

#54 Offline Spazmops - Posted November 7 2020 - 10:56 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I was thinking of keeping solitary velvet ants. And maybe trying to mimic their reproduction in the wild by finding a colony to set up. Hopefully I don't die.... just kidding but their sting really hurts from my experience and others.

Velvet ants are the bane of my existence. I swear out here in Colorado I find more velvet ants than actual queens, and they always fool me before I take a closer look.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#55 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 7 2020 - 12:56 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I was thinking of keeping solitary velvet ants. And maybe trying to mimic their reproduction in the wild by finding a colony to set up. Hopefully I don't die.... just kidding but their sting really hurts from my experience and others.

Velvet ants are the bane of my existence. I swear out here in Colorado I find more velvet ants than actual queens, and they always fool me before I take a closer look.

ugh i wish i could find velvet ants!

#56 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 7 2020 - 1:06 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

ugh i wish i could find velvet ants!

Trust me, they're more trouble than they're worth. Just wait till you step on one bare-footed. ;)

#57 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 8 2020 - 5:10 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I have some wasps myself:

WP_20201108_024.jpg

WP_20201108_026.jpg

WP_20201108_020.jpg

WP_20201108_023.jpg

• OhNoNotAgain and Swirlysnowflake like this

#58 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 8 2020 - 6:54 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Beautiful queens!

and i got the big tank set up for the queens, and placed the kritter keepers in and opened them. pics coming soon!

#59 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 9 2020 - 2:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

its amazing how different the two queens personalities are. the queen living in the blue kritter keeper (i have dubbed her the “blue box queen”) is quite aggressive, often flashing her stinger at me. The other queen, in a black kritter keeper (I've dubbed her the “black box queen”. i’m so creative with names, i know B) ) is calm, and likes to wedge herself into tiny cracks.

also someone please help me find names so that i am not forever calling them the blue box queen and the black box queen  :lol:

You'll find that individual workers have different personalities and can recognize faces, they're intelligent little things.

• TennesseeAnts and Swirlysnowflake like this

#60 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 9 2020 - 2:31 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

i have seen 2 velvet ant queens one in my grandparents backyard and one in my back yard.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users