• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Swirly’s Eusocial Wasp Journal

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Dmaculata - Posted December 9 2020 - 11:40 AM

Dmaculata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

nice journal! make sure you give em lots of light after hibernation, keeps them stimulated

Ooh, ok. Would a UVB lamb hung over their tank work? Or a heat lamp?
ah yea, and you can use natural sunlight, if you have a sunny window sill, you can use that, or you can keep the enclosure outside

Edited by Dmaculata, December 9 2020 - 11:49 AM.

#82 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 24 2020 - 11:21 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
So, tomorrow I’m planning to bring the queens tank inside!
I was planning to order some hornworms, fly pupae, and waxworms but no feeder insect companies are shipping out right now. Will mealworms work as a protein source until I can get the other foods?

My YouTube channel :)

#83 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 24 2020 - 12:34 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I wouldn’t see why not

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#84 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 25 2020 - 2:37 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
Yes! The queens aren’t dead/escaped! I searched through their entire tank, and then finally found them in this tiny crevice. She was startled and fell out of the crevice so wedged herself somewhere else. She’s adorable <3
1B72936D-F487-408F-A81C-E87A006E04D9.jpeg
Sorry the pics sideways again
I’ve brought them out of hibernation :)

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, December 25 2020 - 2:39 PM.

#85 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 25 2020 - 4:18 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
An MV bulb would be better used for actually collecting queens.

#86 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 26 2020 - 11:55 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I’ve only seen one of the queens since I brought the tank inside (She was exploring around the tank) but now she has gone back into hibernation despite there being a heat lamp over her tank. Is that normal? The heat lamp is there because our house is still pretty cold inside.

What is the best temperature for this species to be kept at? 

#87 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 26 2020 - 6:58 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Umm... I may be in a bit of a fix. The wasp queen seems to have escaped. In my house. I couldn’t see her in the tank, and then I found this hole in the lid. Just large enough for the wasp to escape.

I have no idea how I’m going to find it. My family isn’t all too thrilled with the idea of the wasp colony on the house.

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, January 10 2021 - 12:28 PM.

#88 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 26 2020 - 7:20 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Maybe some bait?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#89 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 26 2020 - 7:38 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Maybe some bait?

I’ve tried leaving bowls of sugar water around the house. Hopefully that works...

#90 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 26 2020 - 8:05 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
Never mind, I found the escaped queen on my curtains :)
  • OhNoNotAgain and M_Ants like this

#91 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 30 2020 - 10:34 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Wow a thousand+ views on this journal.

Anyways, not much to update with the queens. They’ve now fully come out of hibernation. I fed them a few times by holding up a q tip smeared with honey to their mouths (in addition to the bowl of sugar water that is always in their terrarium). They’re adorable when they eat. No nest building yet, but they are scouting the tank. They should start a nest within the next few weeks if I’m lucky. 

The weather is very very very slowly warming up. Hopefully in February it’s warm enough that wild queens come out of hibernation. I’m planning to also catch some Vespula queens and try raising them. 

#92 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 10 2021 - 12:17 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Wow a thousand+ views on this journal.

Anyways, not much to update with the queens. They’ve now fully come out of hibernation. I fed them a few times by holding up a q tip smeared with honey to their mouths (in addition to the bowl of sugar water that is always in their terrarium). They’re adorable when they eat. No nest building yet, but they are scouting the tank. They should start a nest within the next few weeks if I’m lucky. 

The weather is very very very slowly warming up. Hopefully in February it’s warm enough that wild queens come out of hibernation. I’m planning to also catch some Vespula queens and try raising them.

This is so weird! They come out of hibernation for a few days, then go back to hibernation for a few days, then repeat. Is this normal behaviour?

#93 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 10 2021 - 8:52 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Id think it would be normal if say temps changed frequently in your house. It might also be due to changing variables in the environment they are in.

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#94 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 11 2021 - 8:48 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Id think it would be normal if say temps changed frequently in your house. It might also be due to changing variables in the environment they are in.

I don't think the temperatures are changing. I have a heat lamp over their tank, and it stays around 72-75 degrees. I check the temps with a temperature checking gun thing every day.

And their environment is always the same, which is the tank they're in. They were hibernating in that tank as well. 

They are super active, flying around the tank and drinking honey from my fingers, but then the next day they go back to hibernating in the crevice all day, for a few more days, before coming out of hibernation again. :/

#95 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 11 2021 - 5:41 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Maybe, hear me out. They are taking break days. You know. . . Like a day to rest and try to create a nest or they are trying to find a nest but can’t find a suitable place. Could you take a pick of the entire tank please.

Currently Keeping:

#96 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 11 2021 - 6:16 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Maybe, hear me out. They are taking break days. You know. . . Like a day to rest and try to create a nest or they are trying to find a nest but can’t find a suitable place. Could you take a pick of the entire tank please.

Yea but my phone is out of charge rn so I'll post it in a bit

#97 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 11 2021 - 6:26 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

I don't think the temperatures are changing. I have a heat lamp over their tank, and it stays around 72-75 degrees. I check the temps with a temperature checking gun thing every day.

And their environment is always the same, which is the tank they're in. They were hibernating in that tank as well. 

They are super active, flying around the tank and drinking honey from my fingers, but then the next day they go back to hibernating in the crevice all day, for a few more days, before coming out of hibernation again. :/

They arent hibernating lul. They are just resting or gathering material to build a nest.

#98 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 11 2021 - 6:34 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

They arent hibernating lul. They are just resting or gathering material to build a nest.

I thought so too but would they really be resting for 3+ days at a time, in the same spot, without emerging at all?

#99 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 11 2021 - 8:13 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

I thought so too but would they really be resting for 3+ days at a time, in the same spot, without emerging at all?

Yes lol. Wasps do that

#100 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 11 2021 - 8:57 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Yes lol. Wasps do that
Oh. Well, that answers it, thank you :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users