• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus novaeboracensis terrarium

camponotus americanus terrarium

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 8:51 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I am going to create a terrarium for my camponotus novaemoracensis in a 20 gallon long aquarium previously used by my 2 gerbils(RIP). this will happen in maybe a year if all goes well. i am confident the lid will keep the queen, majors, and most larger workers in case they get over the fluon(bad things happen when majors escape into your room...) what are some tips for the soil i use, plants, watering systems, and hydration? are there any specific plants that don't grow tall that camponotus like? Thanks!

Ants_Dakota

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 20 2020 - 9:24 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Camponotus novaeboracensis nest exclusively in wood so id add that.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 20 2020 - 9:45 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Camponotus novaeboracensis nest exclusively in wood so id add that.

Or woody soil. I found a founding queen in a chamber under a circular decoration on some wood chips mixed with dirt.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 9:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

so i need wood chips and wood in the terrarium. that is good to know

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 20 2020 - 10:56 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

these only grow in asia and oter islands around it but you could gat an ant plant

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#6 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 20 2020 - 11:10 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
I find it cool to have a terrarium with pitcher plants because they play such a unique role and they can keep your colony from reaching a huge size but I wouldn’t add that until around 2000 workers. I would make mine bio active with many different insects and plants plus rocks and wood plus termites because well camponotus like eating them :P
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#7 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 20 2020 - 11:13 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

How would you hibernate them? Also they'd probably grow out of the terrarium in a few years.

Edited by DDD101DDD, October 20 2020 - 11:13 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 11:48 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

these only grow in asia and oter islands around it but you could gat an ant plant

?

How would you hibernate them? Also they'd probably grow out of the terrarium in a few years.

a 20 gallon long would house them for a while. but yes, i would have to move them eventually.

hibernation is an issue. i could keep the tank outside, i guess. that is where i am keeping it now.

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 1:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

?

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Myrmecophyte

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 20 2020 - 5:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Two beautiful, low growing, and shade tolerant natives you could use are lyre leaf sage (Salvia lyrata) and violet woodsorrel (Oxalis violacea).
Planting tropical plants would not be a good idea if you plan on hibernating the ants in the tank.
Seeds for both species are available from prairiemoon.com.
  • DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 21 2020 - 3:56 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

?

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Myrmecophyte

Can't they never leave those though?

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 21 2020 - 7:23 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Planting tropical plants would not be a good idea if you plan on hibernating the ants in the tank.

I agree, although the link I posted was due to the fact that he had no idea what a Myrmecophyte was.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 21 2020 - 7:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I can mail you Salvia lyrata seeds if you are interested. It's incredibly easy to grow from seed.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 23 2020 - 8:16 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

that sounds awesome! i will probably take you up on that, antdrew, when i am ready to create the terrarium.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus americanus, terrarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users